Today's Watchtower Lesson Really Bothered Me...

by dontplaceliterature 83 Replies latest jw friends

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

I was a hair away from telling my wife I never wanted to go to the Kingdom Hall again after today's Watchtower. :/

The conductor mentioned something along the lines of..."If you think having to shun your disfellowshipped children is bad...you should read up on the Israelites. When one of their children was disobedient to the law, they had to take the before the Judges so that they could be stoned to death...and guess who's job it was throw the first stone?"

What an ass.

There was a couple sitting behind me who have a disfellowshipped 18 YR old living in their house. I'm sure that made their skin crawl.

Any other interesting comments to report from today's lesson?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I don't go to meetings anymore but even as someone who believed what the WT said, I could never justify shunning in my mind.

• White Dove
    White Dove

DISGUSTING ASSHOLES!

That's all I have to say about that.

• designs
    designs

And you wonder why the Courts around the world are bringing pressure on the Watchtower and its 'Family Values' positions.

• jay88
    jay88

I was bothered throughout the whole thing myself, until I finally burned out, and just checked out on it all.

What got me started was this statement:

The "slave class" is more interested in cooperating with God's unfolding purpose than in shielding itself from criticism over an adjusted understanding. How do you react when an adjustment in our understanding of the Scriptures is presented?

WTF.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

what a wanker, so glad I don't go any more

• N.drew
    N.drew

An elder usually conducts the Watchtower study, right? An elder should know the Bible. He probably was referencing Deuteronomy 21:18-20. He is applying it to disfellowshipped ones???? What the scripture means is the adult child in the household is causing the parents grief over a long period of time "he will not obey our voice". It says he is a glutton (which means to shake as in the wind-my take is it means the parents are affected to the point of shaking) and he is a drunkuen (adults drink). So now you have a contentious drinker in the house disrupting the peace of the household, he won't stop. Then he gets taken to the elders of the city, now here, I'm sure he can get scared to repent, so it's not over yet. If the rebel does not smarten up at this point he is stoned "by the men of the city". I do not know where it is written that the parents are to throw the first stone, really it does not say that the parents throw any stone.

My conclusion is the scene only occurs when things get so bad for the others in the house, that it becomes it's him or us.

So, in case someone is dis-fellowshipped and is quietly waiting for grace, (has anyone ever notice how good dis-fellowshipped ones are?), I think this is the last scripture to apply to them. And the brother who said mommy should throw the first stone should be damned. Amen

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    "When one of their children was disobedient to the law, they had to take the before the Judges so that they could be stoned to death...and guess who's job it was throw the first stone?"

Heh. Well what was the lesson in ch. 8 of John?

"He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone" (John 8:7).

Since the speaker made the connection to stoning, then the same lesson applies: He who is without sin among you, let him be for the first to shun their disfellowshipped child.

Anyone in the congregation can make that claim?

• clarity
    clarity

Way to go watchtower!

Now all your young sons and daughters know for sure that your so called love is not special, they're not loved for who they are, mom & dad's love is conditional!

Mommy, daddy, all the elders & jehovah only love little johnny IF ................ they think and act like everybody else at the kh!

Is it any wonder that the kids are depressed!!!

This society is so blood guilty ... suicide rate of jw youths is high!

We let them die as babies by withholding medical treatment, then we make them carry around a suicide card in their wallets. Then the minute they rebel as youths do .... we totally abandon them ...... SHUN them!!!

I have hate tonight.

clarity

edited to add: when are you jw parents going to STICK-UP for your kids, instead of bowing to whims of those gangsters??

You are idolaters!!!

edited again: SHAME on you, for shunning your flesh and blood!

• N.drew
    N.drew

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit