What is "truth" - COULD Einstein Have Been Wrong?

by AGuest 197 Replies latest jw friends

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Technology baffles me. I was reading about the Large Halidron Collider and different platings and electronics they use to measure the particles. Very intricate stuff.

When I say technology baffles me, I mean I don't understand how having different flips switch on a chip can make your computer work. How certain sereis of 1's and 0's somehow makes naked pictures appear on my screen? I mean, how did the first person who ever developed a computer chip figure out how to make it do what it does? The computer age is a marvelous thing.

I once heard a brother say that it was demons that inspired these scientists and engineers to create technology. Those crafty demons are at it again!

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

"Not trying to provoke, truly. "

Really?

Science is not religion and it is objective. It is nothing to do with magic. There is no opening in a scientific enquiry for your God. You cannot take a round about approach to try and weasel your fairytale in.

Science can make some very definite statements and justify them. That there is still more to the underlying physics is acknowledged by science - why the heck do you think they build these colliders / particle experiments for in the first place? honestly - religious peeps sitting in the cheap seats having lost the stage and then pretending science has closed it's canon and is 'surprised' to find more truth and making snide remarks - crazy.

When Einstein died he was still searching for the underlying unifying principle. We have known all along that there is more than E=MC2 but that that equation gives an excellent principle upon which nuclear power works. The speed of light has been calculated and it is a universal constant ( though light can be slowed under extreme conditions) but it is still not even close to being understood, likewise gravity and quantum physics. Science is only just getting the tools and resources to begin it's next amazing exploration. It would be incredibly exciting if we found a law that would allow faster than light travel and I'm sure they will find equally awe inspiring rules along the way.

No scientist is ever saying that they have ultimate truth, that's what religious people do. That there is more to discover is exciting but it won't include Jesus, Buddha, Thor or Smurfs.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    "Not trying to provoke, truly. " Really?

Really, dear Qmbcr (peace to you!). Just asking what I believe to be a valid question based on recent possibilities posed by science.

Science is not religion and it is objective.

Didn't say it was religion (although, the amount of faith some put it in might just make it "religious" to some...).

It is nothing to do with magic.

Nor did I say it did... nor does what I put MY faith in. In fact, magic is sometimes condemnable... due to its "source" (which is NOT the Most Holy One of Israel).

There is no opening in a scientific enquiry for your God.

Now how in the world can YOU know that?? The only place there is no opening for MY God... is in your very closed mind... and heart.

You cannot take a round about approach to try and weasel your fairytale in.

Funny, that that's how YOU see it. All I see is the possibility that science may actually figure it out (though I doubt it - but never say never).

Science can make some very definite statements and justify them. That there is still more to the underlying physics is acknowledged by science - why the heck do you think they build these colliders / particle experiments for in the first place?

Ummmm... to find answers? There is a quicker, easier... cheaper... Way, though...

honestly - religious peeps sitting in the cheap seats having lost the stage and then pretending science has closed it's canon and is 'surprised' to find more truth and making snide remarks - crazy.

Well, now, who said science has closed it's canon... except those who revere it as the be all end all? I am of the mind that science is progressive. I just don't get it when folks (perhaps like you) claim it's findings to be "fact" and "truth"... when all of the pieces aren't in place. Sure, I get "circumstantial" and "summation" and "apparently" and "it appears that, based on the 'evidence'", etc. But I often hear religion saying the same thing...

When Einstein died he was still searching for the underlying unifying principle.

Okay...

We have known all along that there is more than E=MC2 but that that equation gives an excellent principle upon which nuclear power works.

"We" who? You? Perhaps. Everyone who puts their faith in science? Based on the article... and even some comments here... apparently not (i.e., some folks still don't believe there is anything faster... and that the theory will be shown to be for nought, so...). I agree science is more founded than religion will ever be and my issue is not with what science does or know... but how some (perhaps like YOU)... present what they claim to "know." Meaning WHEN... is it the "truth"? When it absolutely is what it is? Or when WE say it is... because it's all we know?

The speed of light has been calculated and it is a universal constant ( though light can be slowed under extreme conditions) but it is still not even close to being understood, likewise gravity and quantum physics.

And so, if such things are "still not even CLOSE to being understood"... how in the WORLD can you... or anyone else... say it is the TRUTH?

Science is only just getting the tools and resources to begin it's next amazing exploration.

Ummmm... I believe I've said that, what, numerous times, on this board (which you would know if you bothered to read what I post, versus popping off because you take some kind of personal affront... which was never intended... to what I post). So, while I'm 2011... you're, what, 2008?

It would be incredibly exciting if we found a law that would allow faster than light travel and I'm sure they will find equally awe inspiring rules along the way.

Ummmm... that was MY point. Get your own original thoughts on this, dear one. Or read my posts more thoroughly...

No scientist is ever saying that they have ultimate truth, that's what religious people do.

Ummmm... two words: human evolution. Is that not stated as an ultimate "truth"? Similar to religious folks' position on creation (i.e., 6 literal 24-hour days... Genesis, etc., all relating solely to the physical earth, etc.).

That there is more to discover is exciting but it won't include Jesus, Buddha, Thor or Smurfs.

Well, now, I agree with you THERE! Indeed, there's not one name mentioned here that I WOULD include. Again, if you bothered to read what I post, you would know this.

Look dear Q... I don't know why my post got your chonies all in a bunch but I would advise you to remove that thong and put on some boxers. A little more room in those... and they don't get so "lost", you know... in the "dark".

Peace, chile!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

One day I hope you will reread what you posted here. It is illuminating. I will confess that you do get my pants in a bunch - you did post this to provoke (just like someone saying 'I'm not being critical but...') and I'm happy to rise to your bait because it gives me an opportunity to express a stand for reason , logic and clarity of thought.

Science is such a wonderful tool to help us progress, it offers genuine hope to problems of the human condition, it offers a way to move beyond redundant memes such as god, guilt and unworthiness, it is broad enough to admit all mankind but sharp enough to reject the fanciful, it is more awe inspiring than any magic methods made up by anyone and it is more liberating than human sacrifice. It is the future and it will shine its light of understanding on all corners of human endeavour banishing all ghosts, goblins and gods. If and when it discovers life that is more technologically advanced than ours it will not discover Mithras or Ra or any god in any human book but what it could discover would humble us in ways we have not potentially considered - but it won't involve quaint mortifying apple stories and humanoids with wings. These beings - if they exist and are contactable - would have powers that could seem godlike but they won't answer prayers or invisibly watch peoples' responses to door to door preaching.

The very likely explanation for the abnormal experimental data is a measuring / technical or calculation error. It is certainly not any god made up by human consciousness - that would not just overturn physics that would mean that there is no repeatable physics just arbitrary physical relationships that generally follow a local pattern for some unknown reason until magic being x decides to do something different. How wonderfully exciting it will be however, if those results are correct and our understanding of the limiting speed of light are challenged, how thrilling. How nothing to do with religion.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Call me wishy-washy... but I think I'll go with those scientists on this one and say it's a bit more than that

What differentiates the scientific from the religious mind is healthy skepticism, acknowledging that we just might be wrong. Tell you what, Shelby. If it turns out to be true, I'll wash your car. If it turns out not to be true, you wash my car. Deal?

Great post, btw, Qcmbr.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    One day I hope you will reread what you posted here. It is illuminating.

One day I hope YOU will reread what I posted here, dear Q (again, peace to you!)... because my hope is that it IS illuminating... and so you will be enlightened.

I will confess that you do get my pants in a bunch -

First, you didn't need to confess: it's quite obvious your chonies got all bunched, perhaps painfully so. Second, why YOU got 'em all in a bunch... is solely on you. I didn't bunch them. I don't control your drawers, sir. Doesn't appear that you control them, either, though...

you did post this to provoke (just like someone saying 'I'm not being critical but...')

No, seriously, I did not. I saw an article that I thought was not only interesting... but would be of interest here, given what we sometimes discuss, here. I pondered the title many times... so as NOT to be provoking. On previous occasions I have asked as to what is "truth"... whether that is what it ACTUALLY is... or what we believe it to be, based on what we "know" at a given time. Funny... you didn't answer that question... and, yes, I did ask it again, here.

My post wasn't about science or Einstein; it was about what is the TRUTH.

and I'm happy to rise to your bait because it gives me an opportunity to express a stand for reason , logic and clarity of thought.

You rose to whatever it is you rose to (your own "bait", because I certainly didn't cast any)... because you couldn't help yourself. Don't try to blame my attempt to understand why people adamantly say something is "truth"... when perhaps it is not... on your lack of self-control. You neither needed to open the thread, nor comment. I said it was NOT my intention to debate, discuss, etc., but only to understand this thing about calling things "truth."

Science is such a wonderful tool to help us progress, it offers genuine hope to problems of the human condition, it offers a way to move beyond redundant memes such as god, guilt and unworthiness,

Science is absolutely wonderful... and you've never heard me maligning its accomplishments. To the contrary, I have the utmost respect for science. It is not science that I have an issue with, not at all. And, again, if you read what I posted, you would know that. Rather, like many others (religionists??), you conclude what you THINK I believe... based on YOUR limited perceptions. And for all that science has done, while it may move some beyond faith in God... it hasn't made any more of a dent in guilty and unworthiness and religion has. True, religion propounds both WAY more... but if you think the atheist who survived the plane crash while his seatmate didn't doesn't ask "Why him and not me?"... and then spends many more years, if not the rest of life pondering that question... you are seriously fooling yourself. Even if the answer lies in odds rather than divine intervention... the question still arises... and the guilt/unworthiness still occurs. Come off it, Q.

it is broad enough to admit all mankind but sharp enough to reject the fanciful, it is more awe inspiring than any magic methods made up by anyone and it is more liberating than human sacrifice.

To your way of thinking, perhaps. But I know some religionists who would say the exact same thing. While I do give more credence to science, I don't give full credence to either camp.

It is the future and it will shine its light of understanding on all corners of human endeavour banishing all ghosts, goblins and gods.

Perhaps... perhaps not. That has nothing to do with my question... re what is "truth", and whether it exists even though we (and science) don't know of it... or does it just "come into existence"... when we come to know of it. That you've taken the offense you have at my question sounds NO difference to ME... than if I were to question the WTBTS GB ("How DARE you question these! Don't you know they represent the FDS and thus speak for God and stand in the place of Christ!? You ignorant low-life! Don't you DARE ask a question... especially if we've already said what is "truth"! WE know... YOU don't!"). Tell me, please, based on your response to what I tried to ask here... what the heck is the difference in HOW the two present their sides... when those sides are questioned?

If and when it discovers life that is more technologically advanced than ours it will not discover Mithras or Ra or any god in any human book but what it could discover would humble us in ways we have not potentially considered

You don't know WHAT or WHO it will discover, dear Q. And for you say what it WON'T is, in my mind, no different than those who say what they WILL find... yet, don't have a clue. I do agree with you that it won't be Mithras (because that is simply a code for occurrences in the stars that ancient astrologists had to use to keep from being persecuted by religionists who considered their work "sacriligious")... or Ra (because that was just one god among many of the other false gods created by the Egyptians to try and raise themselves up over their enemies and others). But to say science won't discover ANY god is, IMHO, a bit premature on your part. Quite a bit, actually.

- but it won't involve quaint mortifying apple stories and humanoids with wings.

Again, I agree... but apparently you think I believe in such stories. No apples... or humanoids with wings... ANYWHERE in my understanding. Of course, again, you would know that... if you actually read what I post.

These beings - if they exist and are contactable - would have powers that could seem godlike but they won't answer prayers or invisibly watch peoples' responses to door to door preaching.

I disagree with the first (depending on who is praying, TO whom, and THROUGH whom)... but agree as to the latter (the WTBTS false teaching that such "reactions" give indication of what's in the heart... is total bull-pucky. Someone could react "favorably" at the door... while literally holding someone hostage... if not a dead body... in a back room. I don't know why you're pulling out all of this melarkey on me, other than, again, you haven't read a word I've posted... over the past, say, 10 years.

The very likely explanation for the abnormal experimental data is a measuring / technical or calculation error.

Ummmmm... that was the 2007 experiment. But let's, for the sake of discussion (sigh!), say it's NOT a measuring/technical or calculation error... but actually valid. Then what? Oh, wait... based on what you're saying here... there can BE no "then what", right? Because it is an absolutely immovable situation: what we know now IS the truth... and that's that. Right?

It is certainly not any god made up by human consciousness -

Well, of course not! If it IS God (and no one has said THAT!)... He would be real... not made up. By anything. Including human consciousness. Seriously...

that would not just overturn physics that would mean that there is no repeatable physics just arbitrary physical relationships that generally follow a local pattern for some unknown reason until magic being x decides to do something different.

Not necessarily. That suggests no order or purpose, which I disagree with. Perhaps it would overturn physics, yes... AS WE KNOW IT. But doesn't what we know often GET overturned... when something we currently know "opens" the way for us to know something MORE? I mean, did we ALWAYS know the laws of physics? Did we ALWAYS know the speed of light... or "E=mc2"? No, we didn't. And coming to know those things only led us to know more. Why can't this potentially knew thing... do the same... perhaps making physics (as we know them)... "yesterday's news"?

How wonderfully exciting it will be however, if those results are correct and our understanding of the limiting speed of light are challenged, how thrilling. How nothing to do with religion.

And no one said it had anything TO do with religion. To the contrary, actually. Even more, if it leads us to understand not only the creation of the universe... but the Creator Himself (or whatever)... religion will not only be unnecessary... but exposed for the fraudulent guise that it is. What in the WORLD is wrong with THAT?

You misunderstand me, dear Q... and that's sad because that doesn't have to be. I am not a religionist or a proponent of religion, not at ALL. I have stated numerous times that I have respect for science... and certainly would take it over religion (actually, I do!). I still don't get, however... how those who put their faith in science can say that "such and so is the TRUTH"... when the FULL THING... HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN. And don't give me that, "Well, it appears... from the evidence that..."... because the evidence has holes in it. We may not know all the holes... or that there are even holes... but until we can say for CERTAIN (and, according to what you and others here say, we can almost NEVER say that)... I am not sure how we can go about saying "It's the truth"... and then, "No, THIS is the truth..." and then "Wait, no THIS is the truth..."

Whether you wish to admit it or not, if the experiment proves true as to what the scientists involve BELIEVE... then Einstein was wrong: there IS something faster than the speed of light. Which means that the statement "There is NOTHING faster than the speed of light" is UNTRUE. Yet, we accept it as truth... because it is our CURRENT understanding. For [some of] you to now say, "Well, we NEVER said there was NOT anything faster," is... to ME... not much different than WTBTS double-speak, IMHO. It says the same to me: "The 'truth' is what we SAY it is... at a given time... regardless of what actually IS true... but unknown to us."

Okay, stick a fork in me... and, again, peace to you!

SA

• AGuest
    AGuest
    What differentiates the scientific from the religious mind is healthy skepticism, acknowledging that we just might be wrong.

First, I get that, dear Nick (the greatest of love and peace to you, dear one!)... but I don't think all of "you" really do that. I mean, dear Q's responses (again, peace to you!), suggest to ME that he took offense that I even brought it up... AND asked questions that might even SUGGEST that "you" all "just might be wrong." Sure, I get it that while he believes the scientists are wrong* (because there's a likely explanation, including error in measurement, etc.), he HAS to say "But it would be wonderful if they're right...". That covers all of the bases, does it not? "I knew they were right all along"... "No, I didn't say they were wrong".

As I stated, twice, in my OP... this was not about the whole science vs. religion discuss/debate. It was about the question asked in the title - what is "truth"? Is it only what we know at a given time? Or does it include what we do NOT know... yet... because we lack the skill, tools, technology? Is what we DON'T know... yet... NOT truth... simply because we don't know it... yet?

Because if that's what's "we" consider to be true... then I have a problem. I simply cannot wrap my head around it. Because truth... is truth... regardless of what we know... or don't know.

Tell you what, Shelby. If it turns out to be true, I'll wash your car. If it turns out not to be true, you wash my car. Deal?

Oh, no, sir. Uh-uh. I would pay to have your car washed (although, I'm thinking it's more likely you'll be washing mine - LOLOL!)... but I'm not putting my bum shoulder through that. Not even for you, dear one!

Ah, well... que sera, sera, dear one, and again, peace to you!

SA

*Forgive me for asking, but why is it okay for "you" to think "you" might be wrong... but not others (outsiders)?? Sounds a bit like religion to ME...

• AnneB
    AnneB

From http://www.unlearning101.com/fuhgetaboutit_the_art_of_/2010/12/see-the-whole-picture.html

Study the picture. Do you notice anything unusual? It is one of the world’s most recognizable corporate logos and yet, surprisingly, even though most people see it every day, few have ever noticed the clever arrow hidden between the letters “E” and “X.”

It is a fitting analogy for how many people view the world. We like to believe—and, in fact, we’re quite confident—we’re seeing the whole picture. Often, unfortunately, there is a glaring hole in our knowledge.

What else aren’t we seeing? This is, of course, impossible to know because we can’t see what we can’t see. Nevertheless, it is safe to assume we’re seeing less than the complete picture and it would behoove us to unlearn the assumption that our vision is infallible.

We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.” – Anais Nin

AB

• AGuest
    AGuest

Thanks for the example, dear Anne (the greatest of love and peace to you, dear one!). I guess I just don't get how people whose minds are so "open" such that they can embrace scientific discovery and its changes/progress... can at the same time, limit their thinking to only that which we now know... or can perceive/experience with the physical body. I don't get how such wonderful THINKERS... can stop themselves at the threshold that lies just past the flesh. I don't get it.

I DO get that religion's melarkey has made them skeptical... and there's a lot related to religion to BE skeptical about... but to just close one's mind... while telling others to OPEN their minds... makes no sense to me. BOTH are closed (those whose minds are enslaved by religion, as well as those who cannot fathom past what is physical), IMHO.

[Some] religious people tell others they should "have faith" - yet, when such ones DO have faith, SO much so that they can hear even spirits (which the ones so telling them to HAVE faith seem unable to do themselves)... GOOD spirits... they are considered "crazy". Contrastly [some] atheists tell others that they should have an "open" mind - yet, when such ones so OPEN their minds, SO much so that they can hear and see PAST the physical (which the ones so telling them to OPEN their minds seem unable to do themselves)... they are considered... "crazy." And both of these camps consider the other... "crazy."

What does that tell me? What SHOULD it tell me?

I did not want this to turn into a religion vs. science discussion... and I will not do that now. It was about what is "truth"... and WHEN is it truth... and both camps can't seem to get a real grip on how they COMMUNICATE that. "Truth" seems to be... for both... a bit of a moving target.

Again, thanks for the example... and peace to you!

YOUR servant, sister, and fellow slave of Christ,

SA

• tec
    tec

Cool, Anne... I never noticed that before. And I agree with what you said about what people 'can' see.

Qcmbr:

It is not science OR God. The two are not in conflict. Yes, religion often is in conflict with science... but that is because of the misunderstandings of the people representing religion or science. (or the arrogance... on either side; or limited tools with which to measure the world around us) Personally, I love science. I love what it reveals about the universe, and I love what it reveals about our Creator... and how He created. I think we're also on the edge of having science 'show' how some things Christ taught are possible and how. (or the prophets spoke of, or revealed, or whatever)

Peace,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit