Ya'll dont believe in God?

by flower 125 Replies latest jw friends

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld
    Its not possible for an athiest and a believer to marry and have a meaningful relationship..is it? Can athiests and believers even be close friends?

Why sure they can. It depends on the people though. If one or both feel the need to cram/force their belief upon the other, then no, it won't be a pleasant relationship. But many love to debate (friendly) about such things. Others are content to allow each person their onw belief on matters. In such cases relationships can indeed not only work, but be meaningful. You know how boring it can be when everone (is forced to) beleive the same things exactly. There's nothing meaningful to talk about. But a good discussion about matters such as we are doing here can stimulate the mind and open your eyes to new things you may have never considered. And that's never a bad thing - even if you decide that the things discussed are not for you.

• mommy
    mommy

Flower,
    LOL @ Ya'll! In North Carolins backwoods they usually say Yuns, I picked up that habit, but mostly anywhere else in the south it is Ya'll. I am going to post a few of my thoughts on this subject, but here is a link to a thread I started back in July.
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=8405&site=3&page=1

It mostly deals with my feelings on the subject of my non believe in God. I was so suprised at the replies and emails I received concerning this. I was like you when I first realized that there were so many who did not believe in god, I was shocked. I left the Jw's at 18 and remained a christian for 8 years, I attended several different churches and felt I had a very close relationship with god. I prayed "incessantly" and credited him with all there is on this earth. I knew in my heart that the bible was the word of god and I followed it to the best of my ability. I had everything wrapped up in a neat little package for me, I had a reason and purpose for being here and knew where I was going, life was good Then I read a thread here that made me step out of my box and really take a look at my beliefs. (Thanks Farkel)
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=4252&site=3

That is when I had to really examine my beliefs and why I had them. I also had to admit to not looking honestly at the god of the bible. I took the good and left the bad, fooling myself that it was all good. Then I started using reasoning, and then the curtain started to lift. I did not have all the answers I was living on faith, yet the faith I had was not even consistent with the bible. It is amazing how we can fool our minds when we really want something to happen, or to be a certain way. I then went on and read as many books and websites that I could to educate myself. All my life I had only read one viewpoint on the subject, so I was not aware of the other side. I did not have to do this, I could have just said that there are others with other beliefs and it will not affect me. Yet if I did that I would not be honest with myself. You can do this Flower, you can accept that there are others out there that don't believe in a god(s) and live merrily with your beliefs, whatever makes you happy.

You said you did not want any links to past discussions, and didn't want to be told what books to read. Yet this is not really a good way to handle your misunderstanding. We have had this discussion so many times here and there are many websites and books that could help you to see the other side. To rehash it all again here would be monontonous. As you can see already the responses on this thread are very long, it is a complicated subject, that can't be wrapped up nicely for you. I really enjoyed Abaddon's comments to you he is a very talented writer, I appreciate that he is so thorough as well.

When you have a look at anothers viewpoint, then you will have a greater knowledge. The spoon feedings you recieved as a JW were not meant to make you think after reading the bible, they basically told you what the bible meant to say on a subject. Now is the time for you, to be honest with yourself. If you are willing to look at the other side, there are many resources. If you are happy with your beliefs then the other side will not sway you. Gosh all this talk of the other side I fel like we are in Star Wars

Good Luck to you! I hope that you can at least broaden your horizons if you decide to do some research.
    wendy

When I leave, you will know I have been here

• Sunchild
    Sunchild

Hi. I kind of know how you feel. Even though the path I've taken is about as far from Christianity as you can get (I practice Wicca), there HAVE been times when I almost wished I could believe in the Bible again. Why? Well, because it's easy. You don't have to think too hard, and Americans tend to give a person the benefit of the doubt if they call themselves Christian. They tend to assume that if you're a Christian, that in itself is proof that you're a good, virtuous, honorable person. Who doesn't want to be seen that way? Also, if you're a Christian, it's easy to find people in the "real" world who you have something important in common with. The thought of being different (or mistaken) can be scary.

The reason why I *stopped* believing in the Bible is simple: I read it without the blinders on. If you read the Bible that way, you may well notice certain problems with it that you didn't allow yourself to see before. After that, unless you're BOUND AND DETERMINED to keep on believing in the Bible as the only true spiritual source, it's very difficult if not impossible to go back. Or at least that was the case for me.

But how did I end up where I am now? Well, I just did what made sense to me. I found a system of belief that happens to coincide with my own. Thw Wiccan concept of deity is a panentheistic one: "God" is in everything. Also, in Wiccan thought, there IS an ultimate power source somewhere (or some time) that started it all, but it's unknowable in human terms. So, we created deities in an attempt to better relate to that power. This, to me, is what feels right, along with the other principles that Wicca and many other neopagan belief systems entail. I also find a good deal of comfort in praying to the Goddess instead an exclusively male deity.

Christians try to preach to me. Atheists try to "reason" with me. I've become indifferent to both of them since neither side can change my mind. The reason *why* they can't change my mind is because my beliefs are a part of me, like the color of my eyes or my artistic bent. I could change the look of my eyes with green contacts, but underneath, they'd still be brown; I could stop writing indefinitely, but I'd always feel the longing. And even if I made an outward conversion to some other religion or philosophy, in my heart, I'd still be Wiccan. It's just who I am.

The point of all this is that if your beliefs are really yours and not just imposed by circumstance, no one can take them away from you. They'll always simply be. You'll have nothing to prove to other people or to even yourself. If you have doubts, by all means, examine them. Question them. Figure out what, deep down, YOU know is right. You might end up firmer in your previous convictions than ever... or you might end up on a different path entirely. But whatever the ultimate outcome is, you WILL be better off for making peace with yourself, and you'll probably end up happier than you ever thought you'd be.

Good luck,

*Rochelle.

---------
    "I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death -- if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."
    -- Professor Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone.

• flower
    flower

mommy,

lol-my grandmother was from the south but i've never lived there and neither did my parents for long yet i still have picked that up. but sometimes i say 'you guys' which i think is a east coast thing.

anyway, wow! thanks for responding. its amazing to me what you said about yourself but it makes me think for sure. i'm going to read those links you posted when i have more time. you're right i shouldnt have added that comment about what i didnt want to hear. i think i just need a mental break though for a while before i tackle this subject too much more. my brain is all screwed up since finding out the truth and i'm only just starting to figure things out. thanks again

flower

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

flower; glad my comments help. You ask;

"...is it possible for Athiests and Believers to co-exist?"

Yes, but it gets ugly sometimes.

"Is that why there is so often turmoil on this board despite the good it does?"

Yes. Those who are convinced they can present facts to prove what they believe can get into disagreement with people who think the same about a different set of beliefs. Also, scientific methodology and religious beliefs are not easy bedfellows. I know and I believe are two different things, but that doesn't effect the strength of the convictions, does it?

"Being out of the org and free to be friends with or love or marry whomever we choose is so wonderful, but now we still have restrictions."

We? We who? Restrictions? What ones? Okay, laws, gravity, moratlity, but clarify please.

"What if you meet someone but the topic of religion doesnt come up until after you fall in love?"

Then you're not really in love, as you can only really love someone you know, and if you don't know whether someone believes in god, you don't know them.

"Its not possible for an athiest and a believer to marry and have a meaningful relationship..is it?"

It is if the relationship is more important than their beliefs; as an example, My girlfriend can't quite help but believe in god. I can't quite help but not believe in god, and we are so sickeningly in love we have our own time zone. I EVEN GO TO CHURCH AT CHRISTMAS WITH HER, because it's important to her, and, well, making her happy by being bored stiff for two hours is a small price, as she really can't get why it would be such an issue for me to go, and, in a way, she's right (once a year).

"Can athiests and believers even be close friends?"

Yes, if they value their friendship more than their beliefs. I have a dear friend who believes utter nonsense. I love him, and bite my tongue at times when he launches into a stoned conspiracy theory I can prove wrong in five minutes flat, but by doing so would start an arguement.

"How do you all do it here?"

Conditional respect. Respect me, I'll respect you. Not being bothered about winning every discussion. Not having to prove your beliefs all the time and being happy for other to have different beliefs. Being interested in understanding what others believe, rather than making them believe what you believe (although I argue like a propellor on Angel Dust sometimes, still haven't got the Dubby "must be right" thing out my system).

"I've noticed that the athiests seem to be closer with one another than with others."

Yeah, most atheists don't judge the way some religionists do. I like that. We also have a distrust of people who try to win an arguement using subjective validation. That's almost against the rules, like me saying I'm right because my invisable purple bunny rabbit says so.

"I've heard them making mock of God and making jokes about believing in Him. I find that hurtful to me because I believe."

Mmmmm, but, what about a religionist who believes god took a little boy from his family for some divine reason? Or who believes a woman doesn't have the right to decide what to do with her body? Or a religionist who believes they can kill because of what they believe.

I find them offensive. So, I can make jokes about maybe next time the Messiah comes he'll get a cable show, and no one will have to be nailed to a tree, or that Jesus from the cross yelled "Son of god was a METAPHOR you morons!", and they can offend me. It's fair, isn't it?

"So how do you respect others right to say and think what they want while not taking things personally and still being true to yourself?"

By realising that everyone has their own subjective truth, but that there is only one reality. Reality is killing a person is wrong. Reality is stepping in front of a truck kills you. Truth can mean anything. If someone is speaking a truth to them that is upsetting to you, you should let it go unless they try to deny you your truth, in which case, defend your truth if you want. If someone is denying reality, then it's open season on their ass.

"Does each side secretly look down on the other for believing what they do or do they truly respect that difference like they would if someone were just of another religion?"

Difficult question; yes and no. I think anyone can believe what they like as long as they do no harm, and as long as they do not lie about reality; there's only one set of FACTS, and sometimes not even that. If someone says I am stupid or wrong for believing in evolution I will defend my beliefs as best I can. If someone says they believe because they believe, then I am happy for them. Believing because you believe is fine. Kidding yourself there is evidence for a local flood, or that the Earth is 6,000 years old is self-deception; I'll have none of it and wave it in front of any one who has it. Petty? Maybe.

"I am accepting and respectuful of anyone of a different religion or those who chose to be of no religion. I respect their choice."

Good

"But not believing in God at all is strange to me and seems to go beyond what I can accept of people I call close friends, but I feel like its wrong to judge people based on anything...even this."

flower, enlightenment is snapping at your heels. The above sentence shows that you are getting it.

I am pretty damn sure I am right about what I believe in, but unless someone is saying "You silly atheist et. al.", then I'm fine them believing differently.

Occasionally I might see a discussion that has no possibility of closure (like scriptual meanings), and I feel moved to ask them whether the lack of closure doesn't make them wonder about the nature of god. But I think that's an okay question.

Occasionally someone will be so blatantly hypocritical, judging others and showing no fruits of what they claim to be, I'll get sarcastic and cutting. I think that's okay, as if I trip myself up like that, I hope I'll get called on it.

Sometimes religonists will expect everyone to be as them. I have no time for that at all, as I don't expect them to be like me and expect the freedom to be returned.

But out of that, I care not what people believe, and try not to judge them on this basis.

"But how can I help it? Maybe once I learn more about things it will be easier."

It will come in time. Stand before walk, walk before run, run before fly; you have the potential, now you are freed from the Borg, to fly free. You just need to grow feathers I suppose

Good luck to you.

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• flower
    flower

rochelle,

cool! i like your way of thinking. thanks for the post. i did surf through some of your websites a while back. i have to say that while i may not believe the same things you do or even understand much of it i have to admit that you have a real talent. i want to be a writer myself someday...dont think i could write that though but more power to you for being comfortable enough with yourself to do it. i admire that so much!

flower

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Abad is right-you can find a common ground, people are everything.

Keep religion where it should be, in intellectual discussions and in your own hearts. It has no place in between two people.

ashi

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

flower, I posted a separate thread in answer to your questions:

I cut and pasted from that.

flower, you asked in your thread about beliefs in God:

What if you meet someone but the topic of religion doesnt come up until after you fall in love? Its not possible for an athiest and a believer to marry and have a meaningful relationship..is it? Can athiests and believers even be close friends? How do you all do it here? I've noticed that the athiests seem to be closer with one another than with others.
    When I met my husband he knew I was an ex-JW. I knew he was catholic. It came up and comes up regularly. We discuss it. I respect his opinion and he respects mine.

You ask if it is possible for a believer to marry and have a meaningful realationship with an atheist. Yes, it is, I have been married 14 years. We have had many discussions on this and will continue until one of us dies.

Our relationship does not depend on an invisible being to make it work. I love and respect him. He loves and respects me. We work out disagreements before they become fights and talk about our future. Our future does not include Armageddon. He does not believe it, nor do I.

If I spent time worrying about where we came from and what will happen after I die, I would not get a whole lot done in a day. What is the point? You are alive. Enjoy life and think about all the things you can see and do now that you left the borg. Go on vacations to relax...not sit at an assembly. Take an art class. Take a science class and disect a frog. Read books...any kind. The freedom to think is invigorating.

What the Pope says does not interfere with our life. We pay all of our taxes, give 5% of our income to various charities, don't cheat on each other, use birth control and try not to hurt other people.

This is easy stuff to do. I do not need faith in a higher being to just be an average person trying to live a decent life.

I have many friends who are religious. I have told them my tale of growing up in the borg and the harm I feel it caused. I tell them I do not believe in God. They understand and respect my view. I respect theirs. We discuss religion. But not often. What is the point? I am not trying to convince them of my opinion and they are not trying to convince me of theirs. We are simply trying to understand.

That is key...as a JW we were told that we HAD to try to let people know how wrong their view of religion is and the JW's have the only truth. My friends and I try to understand the other view without making the effort to save the other. It is a way to make a friendship grow.

As a JW, I learned to not trust. Period. Perhaps that is why the people who do not believe in God seem to get along. We feel we can trust each other. We are not going to be banged on the head with a sermon on Jesus and why we need to believe he died for our "sins."

The bottom line is that I do not trust any religion. To me they are ways for men to control other people. The Muslims do it, the Catholics do it, the Hindus do it and the Mormons do it. Why give the control of my life to a stranger? At least with government, I can vote an official out of office to try to get the group to conform to my way of thinking...on how my taxes should be spent.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I have to add: Abanddon has such a beautiful way of writing...if neither of us were in love I would sponser him coming to the US...

Mommy-I loved your post.

• rem
    rem

Flower,

I too was raised a 3rd generation JW. Finally coming to the realization that I was an atheist was probably one of the scariest things I’ve ever done. But after I finally accepted the fact that I no longer believe in a personal god and that I have no evidence for the existence of any god, I found great peace. I did not plan on being an atheist – I was afraid of atheists, but over time I just became one myself through doing a lot of research and keeping an open mind.

Atheists are not evil, demonic people. In fact, one could argue that most atheists are extremely loving and compassionate people. An atheist may lack faith, but he does possess intellectual honesty. To me the latter is far more important and desirable than the former. I prefer realizing that there are questions without answers right now to believing made up answers that are not based on evidence.

Keep an open mind and research, research, research. Research logic and learn to recognize logical fallacies. This is extremely important! Always demand evidence for assertions – do not simply accept things because people say so. Don’t be afraid to question anything. Apply Proverbs 18:17 in your life and look at both sides of any issue before coming to a conclusion. This includes Evolution, atheism, belief in demons, Christianity, etc.

Some great books that might be eye-openers to you:

Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan
    Why People Believe Weird Things by Michael Shermer
    Age of Reason by Thomas Paine
    The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins

If you really want to understand where atheists are coming from, then I also suggest the following:

Atheism, the Case Against God by George H. Smith
    What is Atheism? A Short Introduction by Douglas Krueger

I wish you well on your journey!

rem

"We all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking." - Mark Twain

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit