Ya'll dont believe in God?

by flower 125 Replies latest jw friends

• sunstarr
    sunstarr

Flower,

Personally, I most certainly believe God exists. I also subscribe to the authenticity of the Bible. I too have asked myself why I believe in God even though there is no "physical" evidence (to my knowledge) of His existence. I trust in the Bible's word that he created us as well as all other things. I don't believe there is any other answer out there that has any more proof. Some believe in evolution. I don't feel that there is any conclusive evidence of that either, which is why it is only a "theory." Many people, including myself, have debated the existence of God. I can only say that I feel it boils down to faith. Some scoff at the idea. Personally, I view faith as a quality. I view it as a form of perception just the same as sight, or hearing, or any other sense of the body. I enjoy the relationship that I have with my heavenly Father and that's enough for me. I don't feel that I must define the universe and give 3 examples in order to live with a clean conscience. So, there's my 2 cents.

• aChristian
    aChristian

The God of the Bible created our universe and He loves us all very much. I have no doubt about it. And I have listened to everything all of the atheists, agnostics and Bible bashers here say to the contrary.

• flower
    flower

expatbrit,

i apologize but i am a 3rd generation xjw that only recent got out. as you know the society frowns upon higher education. therefore i am simply a high school graduate, and i didnt really even apply myself then as there was no need. i love to learn and i do a lot of research and reading. but i am not formally taught and there is a difference.

therefore, i have almost no clue what you were saying in your post except for last part and i cant answer those questions because i dont know. thats why i posted this.

flower

• ros
    ros

I'm a believer.
    But if you want to know what I believe and why, you'll have to ask specific questions. To explain it all would take volumes.

For starters:
    I believe in God, but not the Trinity.
    I believe the Bible, but not literalism.
    I believe Christ was the Messiah for reasons that I have studied.
    I believe in factual evolution, but not some of the hypotheses.
    I do not believe science and faith are in conflict, I believe science reveals much about God. More so than the Bible. But the Bible has an underlying story that you have to read between the lines. It becomes apparent the more you study it, especially from the Judeo perspective.

Ros

Ros
    "A religion that teaches lies cannot be true"--The Watchtower, 12/1/91 pg. 7

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi Flower,

I don't live my life any different than I did when I believed, except I give more of my time to my family and friends instead of some God who doesn't need my time or money. What would you do differently if you thought there was no God? I feel much better and actually live a better life because I want to do it, not because I think some God is watching me.

Ken P.

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

I personally don't have any doubts that there is no God, unless you want to argue that everything in the universe is actually "God" (Spinoza's God) but instead of laying out the scientific and logical reasoning I used to make my own decisions about this, I thought you might enjoy reading the conclusions of someone who felt the same way back in 1782.

I quote a bit of it below hoping that some you might find the arguments interesting and insightful. Can you guess who the author is?

PRIEST—Then you do not believe in God at all? . . . At that rate there is no great need for me to talk to you about religion.

DYING MAN—True, but why not anyhow? Nothing so much amuses me as this sign of the extent to which human beings have been carried away by fanaticism and stupidity, although the prodigious spectacle of folly we are facing here may be horrible, it is always interesting. Answer me honestly, and endeavor to set personal considerations aside. Were I weak enough to fall victim to your silly theories concerning the fabulous existence of the being who renders religion necessary, under what form would you advise me to worship him? Would you have me adopt the daydreams of Confucius rather than the absurdities of the Brahma, should I kneel before the great snake to which the Blacks pray, invoke the Peruvians sun or Moses’ Lord of Hosts, to which Mohammedan sect should I rally, or which Christian heresy would be preferable in your view? Be careful how you reply.

PRIEST—Can it be doubtful?

DYING MAN--Then ‘tis egotistical.

PRIEST—No my son, ‘tis as much out of love for thee as for myself I urge thee to embrace my creed.

DYING MAN—And I wonder how the one or the other of us can have much love for himself, to deign to listen to such degrading nonsense.

PRIEST—But who can be mistaken about the miracles wrought by our Divine Redeemer?

DYING MAN—He who sees in him anything else than the most vulgar of all tricksters and the most arrant of all impostors.

PRIEST—O God, you hear him and your wrath thunders not forth!

DYING MAN—No my friend, all is peace and quiet around us, because your god, be it form impotence or from reason or from whatever you please, is a being whose existence I shall momentarily concede out of condescension for you or, if you prefer, in order to accommodate myself to your sorry little perspective, because this god, I say, were he to exist, as you are made enough to believe, could not have selected as means to persuade us, anything more ridiculous than those your Jesus incarnates.

(Several interesting pages later…)

DYING MAN—There you are, my friend, those are the only principles we should observe and you need neither god nor religions to appreciate and subscribe to them, you need only have a good heart. But I feel my strength ebbing away preacher, put away your prejudices, unbend, be a man, be human, without fear and without hope forget your gods and your religions too: they are none of them good for anything but to set man at odds with man and the mere name of these horrors has caused greater loss of life on earth than all other wars and all other plagues combined. Renounce the idea of another world: there is none, but do not renounce the pleasure of being happy and of making for happiness in this. Nature offers you no other way of doubting your existence, of extending it. -My friend, lewd pleasures were ever dearer to me than anything else. I have idolized them all my life and my wish has been to end in their bosom: my end draws near, six women lovelier than the light of day are waiting in the chamber adjoining. I have reserved them for this moment, partake of the feast with me, following my example embrace them instead of the vain sophistries of superstition, under their caresses strive for a little while to forget your hypocritical beliefs.

NOTE: The dying man rang, the women entered, and after he had been a little while in the arms the preacher became one who Nature has corrupted, all because he had not succeeded in explaining what a corrupt nature is.

Skipper

The author was the Marquis de Sade in the book, "Dialog of a Priest With a Dying Man."

• gotcha
    gotcha

hey flower im pretty sure there is a God basically coz of life itself.. the good the bad and all the workz.what im not sure if He/She really wants us to worship/serve Him/Her..maybe He/She just wants us to get a life.....

• outonalimb
    outonalimb

Flower,

A higher power, maybe, the gods of religions, no. There is no verifiable proof, that I know of, that a God exists. Can anyone here offer me that proof, other than biblical mumbo jumbo? I have read the posts, and am not convinced. Some have conceded to believe, even though there is no real evidence. Some have chose to selectively believe. The real question is, do you believe in something that is never going to be proven. Would you structure your life to accomodate it? Would you alienate family and friends to achieve it? Does the promise of eternal life motivate you? Not me, not in this lifetime:)Whatever you chose to believe, if you live for the common good ,through a God or not, the worst that can happen is you'll end up worm sh*t.

mn

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Mindchild; NICE MdS quote!

flower; I can sympathise with some of your problem. I too am a third-gen xJW. I grew-up in the Dubs and only got the English equivalent of a High School education, and I really didn't apply myself.

It is good you are challanging the pre-conceptions you grew up with, or at least if not challanging them, wondering why they are not Univesally believed.

However, I have no sympathy for this attitude;

"please dont tell me that i cant know without doing months of research"

Now, if you want to base what you believe on other people tell you AGAIN, that is your own look out. I think you would be far better advised DOING SOME WORK YOURSELF.

You are not in the Dubs any longer. You need to take responsibility, not wait to be told what to believe in the next issue of the Watchtower or the Awake!, or find a nice easy condensed version on the back of a packet of cornflakes, or some seemingly rational arguement presented by someone who may have a vested agenda, or be belieiivng something out of a desire to believe rather than due to facts.

Now, I went to University and got a degree; I don't say you have to do that. But going and buying or loaning from the library some basic science testbooks, and reading enough so you can understand what people are talking about when they have a debate on evolution and start getting into more complicated scientific concepts is essential. It is also essential that you develop critical thinking ability, the ability to take an arguement to pieces and see if there are faults in it. Again, there are books on the subject, but I learnt this by means of doing English Literature, where you learn to close read a text and take it apart.

Without this you are just going in the direction the wind that happens to fill your sails; you seem to have a strong desire that there is a god, and without getting yourself a little more scientific knowledge and critical reading ability, all you will end up deciding is that there is a god.

Stand on your own feet flower; there are many here who will give you a hand to do so, but don't expect to be wheeled to your next set of beliefs by other people; that's what you grew up in, aren't you sick of it?

Having said that, I personally believe there is no god. By 'god', I mean a typical conception of the Christian god, loving and concerned, with a desire for a pattern of conduct for those that follow him.

I do this because of the lack of closure.

There are thousands of beliefs in the world. A Muslim Iman, a Roman Catholic Priest, a Jehovah's Witness, and a Haitian Animist will all say they have the truth. They do. They have individual truths that are true to them. Not one can convincingly seperate his beliefs from those of the others on the grounds of hard evidence. They will cite scripture or verbal lore, recount history that cannot be conclusively proved, and possibly even cite personal experiences as proof.

But, they can't all be right, can they?

IF god is a loving concerned being with a pattern of conduct for those that follow him, then the TRUE faith would be CLEARLY identifiable, as otherwise, people might out of all sincerity, or by accident of birth, end up following the WRONG pattern of conduct, because there was no way of them being shown it was wrong, as all faiths have the same amount of evidence (or lack of evidence).

Also, as there are very sound scientific theories (until you study more, you'll have to believe me on this) that provide alternate explainations for how we got here. Scientific theories as to our origin are less than 200 years old, but are already detailed, have large amounts of evidence (discount EVERYTHING you have read in the Society's literature on Evolution, it is grossly distorted and selective) and display broad areas of agreement amongst many scientists NO MATTER WHERE THEY COME FROM.

If god was loving, concerned, and had a pattern of behaviour for us to follow, why would he leave no evidence of his existence, as in hard evidence? God is deduced from not being able to find other explainations for something, rather than being proved by any scientific methodology.

You don't have to prove gravity do you? Why should you have to prove god?

In contrast, the various theories of god (remember this phrase; you cannot talk about theories of Evolution without conceeding that there are also theories of god) have been around for thousands of years, have only agreement in the broadest of terms (don't kill, don't have sex with your family, don;t steal), and differ ACCORDING TO WHERE THE RELIGIONIST COMES FROM.

This contrast between scientific and religionist theories of origin, for me, indicates that IF there is a god, then it's not a loving concerned creator with a pattern of behaviour for us to follow. The Book of the Month club can tell you what they want and what they give far more effectively than god has done, as all there is regarding belief of god, when viewed from a distance, is confusion and disagreemwnt.

For example, if god were loving and concerned, why are not Biblical prophecies explicit? Why are they vauge, and subject to interpretation? WHY WOULD A LOVING AND CONCERNED DIETY WITH A PATTERN OF BEHAVIOUR FOR US TO FOLLOW ALLOW SUCH VAUGENESS?

Of course, it is impossible to prove that something that doesn't exist doesn't exist. You cannot disprove I have a 10' tall pink bunny called Alfred watching over me.; you might not believe me, but you can't prove me wrong... as ALfred is invisable and leaves no physical or scientifically satisfactory evidence of his existence, and speaks to me through my mind.

But, one can deduce there is probably no concerned loving creator who has a plan for us by the way things are.

There might be a creator god, who started things off and let is run from there, being a dispassionate distant observer. There might be zillions of little 'gods'. We might be a by-product of whatever god really was doing, like the insecets that live in a Compost Heap. Or there might be no god.

I know which of those I find most likely...

Some answers to specific points in your posts;

... someone said to me 'there is not a shred of evidence to prove there is a god'. well geez, what am i supposed to say to that? i cant point to the bible. how do i prove that the bible is the inspired word of god?
    You can't, nor can a Muslim prove the Quaran, or a Hindu prove the Bhagadvavita to be inspired word of god(s).

there is no other book like the bible, isnt that proof that it cant just be mans ideas?
    In addition to doing a bit of reading on science, you need to do some on comparative religons. There are loads of 'Holy Books' you are just repeating something you were told that has no evidence to back it up.

i would show them nature and the amazing creation all around us but there are so many wacky theorys about how we came to be that i dont think that would work either.
    Do some science reading, then say why you think they are whacky reasons. Until then you are just parroting what you've been told with no evidence to back it up and no knowledge to weight the arguement

so am i just thinking like a dub about creation, god, life, prayer, holy spirit, guidance and everything else that makes me believe i am a christian? i mean 'some' of what they taught were basic truths right?
    Sorry flower, you are still thinking like a dub, your basic truths are different from someone born in Uttar Pradesh in India, and you could prove him wrong in an arguement.

i guess i would like to hear from some athiests about why they dont believe. well i really dont want to but i do. i dont want to because if i find that there is no god it will be quite crushing to me. but i still need to know.
    I am glad you need to know. Atheists are ordinary people who don't believe in god, not demonised apostates you should keep away from; that is Dubby thinking. Believing in something that doesn't exists is far more crushing to the human spirit than finding out there is no god; trust me on this one.

All the best; do some reading, come and ask questions anytime, but don't ask what to believe like you are asking what tastes good at a Bar-B-Q

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I don't believe in gods, because I see no evidence for their existence.

--
    "Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there. Theologians can persuade themselves of anything." -Robert A. Heinlein

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit