Ya'll dont believe in God?

by flower 125 Replies latest jw friends

• flower
    flower

i have to ask this although i have a feeling i dont really want to read the responses but anyway. i talked to several people here today who dont believe there is a god at all. this is disturbing!

i've never met anyone like that (ok ok i've lived a sheltered life). we are talking about intelligent people here. this is a major big deal to me. i need to know the truth. it cant be both. some one is right and someone is wrong.

i feel like there IS a god for sure, most definately. but geez that could just be cause i was raised in the 'lie' and forced to believe it. someone said to me 'there is not a shred of evidence to prove there is a god'. well geez, what am i supposed to say to that? i cant point to the bible. how do i prove that the bible is the inspired word of god? i mean the dubs would point to the bible to prove the bible is true but that makes no sense to me. there is no other book like the bible, isnt that proof that it cant just be mans ideas?

i would show them nature and the amazing creation all around us but there are so many wacky theorys about how we came to be that i dont think that would work either.

so am i just thinking like a dub about creation, god, life, prayer, holy spirit, guidance and everything else that makes me believe i am a christian? i mean 'some' of what they taught were basic truths right?

i guess i would like to hear from some athiests about why they dont believe. well i really dont want to but i do. i dont want to because if i find that there is no god it will be quite crushing to me. but i still need to know.

so who believes in god? who doesnt? why or why not? and how did we get here?

a very confused flower

ps. please dont tell me that i cant know without doing months of research or that it doesnt matter or to go look through the archives to find old conversations on this topic. thanks

• Prisca
    Prisca

I believe there is a God who created everything, a Supreme Being, a Greater Force, of the universe.

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

god is a spider who hates us all

i believe in feelings. that's it. love, happiness, hate, anger...all the ones in between.
    god or no god, none of us will ever really know. don't waste your time...

• Sage
    Sage

Oh yeah, definitely a God!

• bboyneko
    bboyneko
    there is no other book like the bible, isnt that proof that it cant just be mans ideas?

You really do need to do a little more research, especially about the Bible. For starters, there are many books like it, and it is not the world's oldest holy book by any means.

You will be shocked by what you learn of bible history and how it came to be the way it is today and how it's word was spread. (mostly by the blood of millions of innocent people, not by loving preaching)

I don't necessarily not beleive in God per se, But I definitley do NOT beleive in the Christian God. For example, go read 1 Samuel Chapter 15, and tell me how a God that specifically orders the slaughter of innocent children for the sins of their FORFATHERS is worthy of worship.

Also, about nature. YOu can say that it is too wonderful to happen by chance, that some intelligent life form (god) must have created it all. But then you are left with a logical dillema: God has to be even more complicated than man, and far more intelligent. How did he then, come to be? Who created him? If you answer 'no one, god has just always been' then you have just admitted that intellegent complicated life does not need a creator. Then your 'look at nature' argument just went kaput.

And you also have to try to answer why God would only give his message to a small tribe of desert-dwelling people thousands of years ago. Why did he not give his message and support to all the earth? Why send his son to only that land, and limit his preaching campaign to only that land? Isn't Jesus supposed to be for all mankind?

You also have to answer questions about the bible such as why God has a name in the old testament but no name in the new testament. Don't be overly shocked at athiests, we are just people who see no proof of God. Just as I am not shocked when I meet people who do not beleive in Santa Claus.

• flower
    flower

umm, ok. i was kinda hoping to get more of a 'i believe such and such BECAUSE........'.

or maybe are we all just supposed to pick something to believe and then believe it without really any reason? are reasons not necessary. i am totally serious. i dont get it.

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

I still believe in God and Jesus and all that other good stuff!

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi Flower,

This is a question that can't be proved either way. You will have to form your own opinion. There doesn't seem to be a God that is very interested in what happens to mankind that I can imagine, but what do I know? He could have some agenda that I can't understand. The universe is too complicated for me to decide. I at least hope there is one.

Ken P.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Flower:

I describe myself as an agnostic, not because I believe God might exist, but because I know that there is no way of proving his non-existence to 100% certainty.

I'm confident in saying, though, that so far humanity has found no evidence for the existence of God.

Our existence proves only that we exist. It is irrelevant to the question of how we came to exist. Our views of the complexity of the life we see, or how finely balanced the universe is, or what a wonderful place it is, are formed and limited by our own perceptions. For all we know, the life we see around us, including ourselves, may not be complex at all and the universe may be completely unbalanced. We fit the surroundings, not vice versa.

As for the bible, I would be interested in reading why you think it is unique, what evidence you feel there is that it is inspired of God. In reading it without Watchtower blinkers, I've seen it to be very like other ancient human writings. It shares the same wisdom, savagery and types of errors of other ancient human works

Same for holy spirit, and divine guidance. What evidence do you see for that?

Also, remember that the onus is not upon Atheists to prove that God doesn't exist, but upon believers to prove that he does. This is because belief in God invariably leads to a necessity to conform one's life to a mode of behaviour ("what does God require of you?" etc etc). Atheism, however, imposes no burden of belief upon others.

Expatbrit

• flower
    flower

BBoyneko-thanks, a thought provoking reply for sure. (at least till that santa clause comment)

ken-i dont know if i can accept not believing one way or the other. if there is a god i believe i have to live my life for him (not to the extreme that the dubs do of course)...and i live my life like there isnt one then that would be really bad. and if there isnt and i live like there is then ...hmm i guess that isnt so bad. i dont know.

mr biggs-you ever wonder if thats cause of the of the dub mind control? i mean didnt we belive just as strongly that the org was gods org?

flower

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit