The Value of a Godless World

by cantleave 109 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

ho hum...this is boring...I'm off to see what the monkey is doing...at least he actually IS funny

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

ho hum...this is boring...I'm off to see what the monkey is doing...at least he actually IS funny

Oh no, still thinking is still failing!

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I win, but then, was that EVER really in doubt?

• Twitch
    Twitch

Get a room already,.. lol

• still thinking
    still thinking

the only thing you win is playing with yourself...and I get the feeling you do that a lot

• tec
    tec

Oh my. I missed this e Xchange.

As per the subject, I am not sure that our moral code has evolved at all. I think it depends very much on who is in charge. I think people still love, hate, hurt, help, abuse and heal, the same as they always have done. Sometimes I think its worse. The quality of life is better (in some places), true. But is that because of evolving morality? Or because of advancements made in science, medicine, technology, psychology?

I am way too tired to form a more detailed answer, and i need to go to bed. Good night, and play nice(r).

Peace to you both,

Tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

My apologies to you tec and anyone else I may have offended...this poster tends to bring out the worst in me, I am not sure why exactly. But I will refrain.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    It's called an evolving moral code. . . . EntirelyPossible

Surely you must realise you've shot your own argument down in flames on this page.

I'm not saying you're wrong . . . just wondering when your "evolving moral code" is gonna make it out of the primordial soup.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Communisim failed because they replaced God with Man, religion was not replaced, it was renamed "athieisim".

Communism failed because it was a totalitarian system that could not be sustained. A small group can only hold complete control over the masses for so long. Perhaps if it had been a more humane government, it would have held out longer--but humans don't tolerate total control, even from the most benign ruler, for long. The people had no say in their government and policies that they were forced to live under. We evolved as egalitarians, where all members were important---but in a totalitarian government only a precious few are deemed of any real value.

The above statement is wrong. The answer is not that simple. Many complex issues were at play. Communism failed because it was brutal. Many god fearing Monarchies were also taken down because of their brutality. It's in our DNA.

My brother told me this guy he met found out my brother was an atheist and was livid. He said, "Why don't you just eat your children than?" A third observer was stunned. He said, "If going to church is the only thing that prevents you from eating your children, then you have bigger problems than god."

Our unique ability to cooperate and bond is what allowed us to evolve into the species we are in today. We aren't going to start eating our children when god is taken out of the equation---I could even argue that much children killing can be attributed to one god or another.

It wasn't atheism that brought down Communism---it was that they made the same mistake that religious governments had made forever---they sought to enforce atheism on the people. They sought to exert control not only on actions, but on thoughts. Religious governments of old taught them how to do that---technology gave them the means to take that control to a limitless level. I'm sure if the RCC had such technology when they had power--they would have done the same thing.

NC

• tec
    tec

My apologies to you tec and anyone else I may have offended...this poster tends to bring out the worst in me, I am not sure why exactly. But I will refrain.

Oh Still, you don't owe anyone an apology. EP is my friend, and I care about him, but even he knows that he canbe pretty...um... rough... in a debate/discussion/argument.

Peace,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit