Are we really mortal?

by cptkirk 61 Replies latest jw experiences

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

SIZEMIK IS THE ANTICHRIST TO MY RELIGION, WHY ARE YOU TORTURING ME?

(i wasn't addressing you aguest, just speaking in general) you're a good dude! or girl? whichever. sizemik is my only enemy.

• tec
    tec

now all of you that believe some guy was roaming around palestine 2,000 years ago, born from no physical father...

Believe in the man from Palestine, yes, as the Christ, the Son of God...

and snakes talk to people.

Believe Satan talked to people; don't believe he was actually a snake, or that snakes talk...

will you do the same? will you make the same admission? that your belief system is really just as far out there as mine? and admit there are hundreds of holes in your religion? but you dont care because it suits you?

I don't think its as far out there, and if I did, I would admit to it. Mostly because I didn't just make it up on my own, nor come to that conclusion on my own.

Of course, I'm not sure how 'far out there' your theory is either, based on some scientific understanding and theories - so in that sense, perhaps my belief is more out there than your own.

I don't believe there are hundreds of holes in my faith (no religion here). Some things that I do not understand... yet, but those are not holes.

I do recieve understanding if I ask for it - even if it takes a little time. So not understanding some things doesn't bother me. I understand enough for me. So I do care... and that is why I ask for understanding. I might have turned away from hard questions in the past, because I was afraid of the answers. But those answers, once received, never scared me. So I don't fear them anymore.

Peace,

Tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

LOL...I haven't seen sizemik be anyones enemy before....

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

tec: the bible contradicts itself...many...many...many...times.

talesin: the traditional separating of matter and energy is not feasible....little boy and fat man beg to differ!

• tec
    tec

tec: the bible contradicts itself...many...many...many...times.

Um... what does this have to do with what I stated? I am not a biblical inerrantist or even literalist.

it means the physical world is simply energy in a spatial environment.

I think I find these things just as interesting as you do, Tal. I don't seek scientific findings out, but when I come across them, I love how science tends to support some things in my faith. My mind translates it - in an abstract way - to something like this: Spirit in a flesh and blood, physical realm.

I don't think science CAN be at odds with the spiritual (just our current knowledge/understanding can be at odds).

Peace,

Tammy

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

hey nice, someone that really pushes back in my face, i like it. what does it have to do with what you stated? the contradictions create a good deal of the holes. i can name hundreds of contradictions....not principle contradictions...but specific contradictions (contextual) within the context of maybe "dozens" of principle contradictions.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

you know i was sitting here thinking for a second...and realizing about a lot of you guys(girls) that have faith, you know i'm sure a lot of you have great qualities in life. i think the problem is when someone like me or someone else challenges these notions of christ or whomever....it ends up being a challenge to your good qualities, because maybe a lot of you inextricably attach them together...so if the faith is challenged, it's like challenging your whole being. i assure you i'm not doing that. we rely on eachother's strengths to keep society atleast somewhat functional. and i know a lot of the people here, are much stronger than your average person, and much more connected into who they are, because of these trials the borg has created in their lives.

• tec
    tec

No worries, Cptkirk :) I wasn't trying to be in your face (even though you said you liked that). Mine was a genuine question. The contradictions in the bible only create a good deal of the holes, if your faith is riding on the bible being inerrant and literal. Mine is not. I don't feel challenged, and I don't mind questions. Questions are good, right?

I answered the way that I answered because you seem like you are lumping all people of faith or even religion into one category. You assumed that my faith was in the bible, and so a contradiction in the bible puts a hole in my faith. But this is not so, at least it is not so for me. Nor for Shelby (peace to you!) as she posted above. (Yes, she is female)

Finding contradictions in the bible does put a hole in the 'inerrancy' doctrine, or perhaps the bible being the word of God. But not in faith in Christ. Even the bible does not say of itself, I am the Word of God and Inerrant.

Christ is the Truth, and the Word of God. My faith is in Him.

I hope that helps a little.

Peace,

Tammy

• sinis
    sinis

I'd be happy to come back as an exotic cat in a wealthy house.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Finding contradictions in the bible does put a hole in the 'inerrancy' doctrine, or perhaps the bible being the word of God. But not in faith in Christ. Even the bible does not say of itself, I am the Word of God and Inerrant. Christ is the Truth, and the Word of God. My faith is in Him.

Ditto what dear tec (the greatest of love and peace to you, my dear!) said, dear Cpt (peace to you, as well!). What I often find interesting is the belief (by many who subscribe solely to 'science') that science challenges/threatens my faith. As dear tec stated, it does not - rather, it has, thus far, corroborated what my Lord has told me on a great many issues... thus INCREASING my faith. But... my faith is not in religion - it is in my Lord, Christ, himself. I know that, like many others, you perhaps believe the only way to KNOW of Christ is by reading the Bible (or being told what it says). That's an erroneous assumption, though. It is one way to know ABOUT him, yes. But he himself is the best way... to know OF/ABOUT him... as well as to know HIM, personally. He is alive, contrary to what many, even some who profess to believe "in" him, believe.

Per him, the Bible is FULL of errors. Which is one of the reasons he came into the physical world: to bear witness to the TRUTH. Had the things written by the scribes/copyists been completely TRUE... he would have had no need to come for that reason. But the "false stylus" of the "secretaries"... the scribes who miswrote, rewrote, doctored, tampered, etc... alone with the false teachings of the priests and religious leaders... was leading the people so far away from God... the truth ABOUT God had to be told... and shown.

So, yes, you may read something in the Bible that seems contradictory... or in fact IS contradictory. One good example is some of Paul's teachings, versus what Christ himself is recorded to have said/taught. MANY contradictions there. Who should one listen to, though? Paul... who could not and cannot even save himself? I think that answer is obvious.

But along with what dear tec also posted, it would be SO refreshing if some who no longer have faith (or never have it) in God or Christ, but put it in science (and I'm not knocking that, at all, but trying to make a point)... would allow themselves to STOP lumping ALL people of "faith"... into their paradigms as to religion, in general. Not all of us are religious, at all. Faith... actually has absolutely NOTHING to DO with religion. Indeed, religion... is the opposite of faith: religion subscribes to a form of worship that can be SEEN. Temples, priests, popes, pastors, elders, GBs, churches, KHs, sermons from the pulpit/podium, field service, meeting attendance, "confession", water baptism, various clothing/rainment... all things having to do with the OUTWARD appearance... and thus, walking by SIGHT.

Faith, however, requires walking without SIGHT... and worship that is done in spirit... THROUGH the Spirit... and in truth... THROUGH the Truth. You only "see" another's faith... through their works... which works glorify God... and not the one DOING the work or the men they follow.

Sorry... I get on a tangent every now and then, so I apologize and thank you for your patience. I just don't get why people MUST lump all who profess to have faith... into the same box as those who are "religious." I would ask that you dear folks try to stop doing that. Because it misstates who we are and what we believe... and so misleads YOU.

Again, I bid you peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit