Are we really mortal?

by cptkirk 61 Replies latest jw experiences

• sizemik
    sizemik

Many leading physicists are waking up to the realisation that the traditional seperating of "matter" and "energy" is simply not feasible.

There is widespread abondonment of "particle" theory physics . . . and that sub-sub-atomic particles are simply energy waves presenting a "particle" illusion that is completed by the five human senses interpreting energy as physical (matter).

Once you get your head around it . . . it means the physical world is simply energy in a spatial environment. Even early physicists such as A Einstein regarded this as a likely scenario.

The understanding of "Consciousness" has also moved beyond seeing it as purely the result of electrochemical processes in a purely organic sense. Electromagnetism also invokes brain response and electromagnetic energy is in turn produced by the brain. This type of brain activity occurs without conscious thought and can operate outside of traditional physical boundaries.

For example; A mother is busy in another part of the house from her young baby daughter. For no discernible reason the thought pops into her head to check on her daughter. When she does so she finds her daughter unknowingly about to engage in something dangerous. What preceeded the conscious thought? Before you think this is a rare phenomenon . . . think about how this works for you during the course of a day . . . you might be surprised.

A similar connection may exist quite strongly with identical twins. Anecdotal support is widepread for this phenomenum.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

If our bodies were disease free and didn't age, there are still hazards that can kill a body. In our current world the average age would be ~1700 years old.

I think we'd have a much greater respect for life if we lived longer and do away with dangerous occupations. If we could come up with a safer mode of transportation and work than life is estimated between 10k-20k years old before some accident takes us out.

In all, we are all mortal so long as we have bodies that can be killed.

Everyone having an immortal soul would be a wonderful thing to behold. The afterlife filled with spirits of people, all pissed off that they don't have their heaven and no means to kill each other or intimidate others into joining their cause.

• poppers
    poppers

what is consciousness? is it not the formation and function of the organ we call the brain? (along with it's supporting cast of organs).

Nobody actually knows what consciousness is. It's not like you can isolate it and examine it; besides which, that which would examine consciousness IS consciousness. Perhaps the brain is a kind of conduit or transformer through which consciousness flows rather than originates from.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

why didn't ya just say so ? so that entire nuclear warhead stock is just all theoretical? hah so much for that! sorry size :(

i guess that puts us on the verge of another breakthrough then, the next einstein needs to step forward.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

cptkirk - google 'big rip' for the theory that teh universe may one day utterly disassemble itself.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

your conduit transformer thing is fine, but based on the evidence, doesn't it suggest the brain would need to be of a grade of quality (an evolved state), before that can happen? meaning to some degree (or large degree) the physical world dictates whether the organism will be able to attain consciousness.... reasoning, atleast part of that ability for consciousness can be nailed down in a lab. (if not most)

• poppers
    poppers

your conduit transformer thing is fine, but based on the evidence, doesn't it suggest the brain would need to be of a grade of quality (an evolved state), before that can happen? meaning to some degree (or large degree) the physical world dictates whether the organism will be able to attain consciousness....

Though limited in reasoning and intelligence compared to humans, animals are conscious beings, are they not? Even if they can't "self-reflect" as we know it they are still aware/conscious. In my opinion, consciousness is the great mystery. It's already established that consciousness affects that which is observed, which begs the question - just what IS it? I don't think we'll ever really know.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

while i respect your opinion poppers, and agree with you that our weak minds are incapable (atleast right now) of knowing proof positive one way or the other. i personally would have to say the animal works purely off instinct, which we obviously work partially off of, but we humans differentiate instinct from logic. that to me is the point of consciousness. objective reasoning, the ability to step outside of yourself mentally and formulate ideas in the 3rd person. it actually says no to the linear universe, no i reject you linear universe. and man has tangible evidence that this rejection of linear processes driven by void conscious instinct, actually does produce something. it's not just some delusion of grandeur, it actually is feasible.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    so that entire nuclear warhead stock is just all theoretical?

I doubt it. But what emerges when it's utilised . . . ?

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

i'm just messing with you size. i have no idea! cancer??? radiant energy??? *begins to bite nails*.....*raises hand*

radiationin the form ofelementaryparticlesemitted by an atomic nucleus, as alpha raysorgammarays! yes!?!?!!? no? *hides face in hands*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit