How many people watched "The Princess and the Frog?"

by garyneal 150 Replies latest jw experiences

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Hi Shelby! Thank you for your response. I can see your dissappointment, and I am sorry that you didn't like the movie. In reading responses such as yours, I try to "Put on the other's moccasins" to try to get an understanding how they feel to others. Even though we may disagree on some things, doesn't mean that I don't appreciate and try to understand your viewpoints. I know that you do the same. Doing so allows us to expand on ourselves and grow while showing empathy towards another's feelings. I am taking what you said to heart so that I too can try to see from your mind's eye. Just because another has a different viewpoint doesn't make the other person wrong at all.

I hope your day is filled with warmth and love!

CJ

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

If only OC wasn't gay.....

My thoughts on Tiana becoming a business woman and not a princess - I think it's a welcome leap into the 21st century. It's about time that we stopped filling little girls' heads with simplistic, mysogynist ideas of "some day my prince will come" type mentality. Having a prince in shining armour to sweep you off your feet only come to a select few.

The rest of us women (many many of us white, as well as various shades of pink, beige, honey, sand up to dark chocolate/black) have to work whether we like it or not. And that's what the story is trying to tell the little girls of today. So I applaud them for having that story line.

And, to quiet the rumours that Disney is racist, they make the heroine black, in an area known for its famous black Americans. But then that is conscrued as racist as well. You can't please all the people all the time...

Getting back on topic...

Gary, I think you need to try to be the voice of reason on behalf of your daughters. Watching movies with a bad guy/woman who looks and acts scary is NOT bring demons into your home. As OC said, Witness kids have enough on their plate without being scared out of their wits that demons are lurking round the corner. I also was raised as a JW so I know what it's like. Let your kids watch the movies, as long as they're aware that it's all fantasy and there's no demons/witches lurking around trying to get them.

• Scully
    Scully

I thought it was a silly movie. Released a few years post Hurricane Katrina, setting the movie in New Orleans was probably already decided long before the movie even got off the ground, but still, I wonder if that was a good idea, from the standpoint of sensitivity to the folks who are really trying to scrape their lives back together.

I feel that Disney's motivation in making the movie the way it did was so that it could be politically correct (BARF) and round out its Princess Collection™ by adding an African American princess. Probably approved by its legal department and marketing department, and targeted at little girls who like to play princess (and their parents' pocketbooks).

• AGuest
    AGuest

Thank you, dear Scully (peace to you!). And allz I'm sayin' is that if they wanted to due that "equally", they should have stuck to the original premise: that she was a princess and her prince came, etc. Now, if they wanted to move folks into the 21st century, making her a princess that worked... would have worked. Or, bringing the others up to speed. Whatever. But, for me, it was about the "dream" I believe our little girls were "robbed" of for decades. In that light, I don't think what they came up with was "politically correct" at all. It was stereotypical... and racially inaccurate.

Gotta move on, chickens!

Peace!

SA, on her own...

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Most of the Disney movies are based on old fairy tales... European fairy tales.

Europeans are white, not black. Therefore, movies based on European fairy tales would have white, not black, princesses and other characters from the stories would be white also, unless otherwise described.

So I find pulling out the race card on these cartoons is missing the point. It's being culturally accurate, not racist. After all, how many princesses in Europe are black?

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello there BP,

you could also look at it as shelby expressing her own opinion

I wasn't aware of your knowledge of what is culturally accurate

when it comes to a race other than your own

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    you could also look at it as shelby expressing her own opinion

Your point?

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Europeans are white, not black.

"Americans"... are white, black, brown, yellow, beige, pink, etc. Disney covered white, brown, yellow, beige, and pink. From their homelands, some of them, yes. I would have preferred Tiana to have found out she was the ancestor of some African king/queen... or married some guy who was tne ancestor of some African king/queen... than to be nothing more than a little girl from New Orleans being woo'd by a Brazilian (Brazilian??!!) loser... ending up with a restaurant ('cause Lawd knows, if nuthin' else, we all knowz how to sing... and cook!). Heck, she could have even been African. So, what?

Look, folks: supposedly, it was a film for "ME", not "you". As such, I am stating that it was NOT for "me"... MY daughter/granddaughter... or anyone I know. I get it that perhaps folks down in N'Awlins may have been overjoyed that something WAS about them. Ever BEEN to N'Awlins? I have. Several times. LOVE N'Awlins. But I PROMISE you... and if you didn't get this from the aftermath of Katrina, you never will... it wouldn't take much at ALL to overjoy the African Americans in N'Awlins. Most of them don't HAVE much... and so any little morsel is considered "riches."

And that's what "we" got: a morsel. So, no surprise that some might have been overjoyed. But that was only because "we" finally got SOMETHING (and since we're used to the undesirable, left over "parts"... that's par for the course).

But if N'Awlins is the primary city... perhaps even the ONLY city... in this country with which African Americans are associated... and, given the events of Katrina and comments here, I don't doubt that... then we haven't made all that "progress" we want other countries to think we have... at ALL.

Again, it's the moccasins... and while I do appreciate those who are at least attempting to try mine on... I think there are others whose big-a*sed feet wouldn't fit, not matter HOW hard they tried to shove them in MY moccasins.

I don't care who... or what... you are: white, black, male, female, American, Canadian... whatever. You don't get to tell me that something is not racist to ME... when my perception is that it absolutely was. Because MY perception is based on a very real history... measurable and measured evidence... which YOU cannot even begin to fathom.

Now, again... methinks I must move on. I reserve the right to return, however, if comments call upon it.

Peace!

SA, on her own... 'cause is personal, not spiritual...

• wasblind
    wasblind

I don't believe BP's big a** feet would be able to fit anyones shoes

the only thing she want to try is what she can't get except in a dream

• AGuest
    AGuest

Wuz, gurl... okaaayyyy?? The title asked how many saw the movie. I saw it, so I responded (funny, isn't it, those who aren't commenting on the movies but only on my perception of it). I hated it... and gave MY reasons WHY. From MY perspective, based on MY experiences... and MY expectations... based on what the movie "promised" for ME. Which it did NOT deliver, IMHO. Which I have every right to state... and why. Which I did.

Folks don't know, dear one, folks don't know. Ah, well...

The greatest of love and peace to you, my dear sister!

SA, on her own and shaking head over folks who think they have a clue as to this issue. Please...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit