NEW RUMOR: WT ALLOWS BIRTHDAYS

by J.R.R.Watchtower 81 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Actually it does state in the Elders manual that you would DF someone who celebrated a birthday.

• sizemik
    sizemik

If anything it'll be like getting a vasectomy . . . ok ... do it if you must . . . but suck up being gossiped about, marked, and don't expect any "privileges".

Then they can say . . . "Oh yes, JW's are allowed to celebrate Birthdays, it's a matter of choice . . . who said we weren't?"

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Dayum... 6 posts since 2003?

I think I'll reserve belief until I see something written in a WT pub.

BUT if the policy ever changes, I think Sizemik gets the prize for matching their weaselly method of announcing it.

Where's SD-7? He could author the QfR that says, in effect, "There may have been some who ran ahead and boldly asserted that it would be inappropriate for Christians..."

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I would be very suprised if they allowed celebration of birthdays. And a little ticked off that I was deprived celebrating birthdays as a child.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

Actually it does state in the Elders manual that you would DF someone who celebrated a birthday.

Page number, please. I saw no mention of birthdays in either the old or new "Flock" book.

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

Perhaps, like blood “fractions,” they will permit the giving of salutations, well wishes, and birthday cards, maybe even a gift or two. Just don’t have a cake with candles, sing “happy birthday,” and arrange for a big party (unless the person is one of the GB, then you can really party-on and kiss the big toes of the so-called super “anointed” ones).

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

There was that WT QFR article from around 2000/1 that likened birthdays to anniversaries and it basically said that anniversaries were conscience matters, but didn't say either way for birthdays.

But I wouldn't say the WT allows birthdays unless it was written explicitly in a WT.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never heard about that--yet. However, I can bet that Brother Hounder is still going to get you for celebrating a birthday.

How? They might decide that, even if the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger opens up a bit, they are not going to. You celebrate a birthday under the new guidelines, you are still guilty of "brazen conduct" because you disregarded the hounders' authority. And you get disfellowshipped for "brazen conduct". Additionally, it might be looked at as accepting blood transfusions is now--technically not a disfellowshipping offense but you are viewed as disassociated.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

They are basically saying "Yes go ahead and celebrate birthdays, but we dont want you too..." So, they wont, only in private. Totally pointless.

• dozy
    dozy

I'm calling BS on that. Birthdays are generally for children - the GB & the Bethel leaders are childless (with the occasional exception) so they really aren't affected by the banning.

It is one thing for the WTBTS to tinker around with vague doctrines like the generation and the dragnet that are purely theoretical and are of only academic interest (in fact , of no real interest at all) to the average JW- what they don't do is disassemble fundamental beliefs that have a real day to day effect on the R&F. I remember a high-up brother telling me that the WTBTS would have loved to have made blood a conscience matter but it would "stumble too many brothers". There is absolutely nothing positive for the WTBTS in allowing the R&F to celebrate birthdays.

Anyway , the JWs I know have replaced birthdays with anniversary parties , so called "present days" (usually a week after the birthday) etc etc so while many don't really fully agree with the ban , there isn't a great demand for birthdays to be allowed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit