first contradiction in the bible?

by cptkirk 82 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

roddy: although i do like your icon, you need to read this thread in it's entirety. they contradict themselves as single accounts, and they contradict eachother as dual accounts in contrast to one another. you can throw out the entire chronology and they are still full of holes.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

1. Were there sheep in the garden before Eve???

Did Adam end up in front of the 3 man bookstudy (JC) because of it?

2. J E P D is still the theory of biblical authorship to beat; it explains (as Leo so amazingly illustrated) most if not all of the doublets, triplets etc found in the OT.

• trailerfitter
    trailerfitter

Just to add to the contradictions, try googling book of Jubilees which is also an attempt to explain where Cains wife came from. Interesting to know that the book of Jubilees in used in the Ethiopian Church bible instead of genisis,...in the muslim bible and is also found in the set of dead sea scrolls. The Dead sea scrolls are Gnostic and tell of an evil God who greated the earth..... check 'em out if you like contradictions.

• Bella15
    Bella15

One doesn't learn TRUTH and LOVE in the bible ... it is an experience in the spiritual realm

• Roddy
    Roddy

roddy: although i do like your icon, you need to read this thread in it's entirety. they contradict themselves as single accounts, and they contradict eachother as dual accounts in contrast to one another. you can throw out the entire chronology and they are still full of holes.

@cptkick

Thank you. I like it too.

I read your first post that started the discussion and so I commented on that first. I'm sure there are those that will agree with you and even chime in with you and those that won't and say why not.

What you point out is what is already known: that the editor of the first couple of chapters of Genesis put together two different points of view and decided to put them side by side instead of attempting to iron out differences to make them a single smooth transition. Perhaps this was done on purpose which I'll touch on later.

Regarding contradictions.

I don't see the contradiction you seem to want to see. A contradiction is when you have two statements that are opposite when both are said in reference to the same thing applying at the same time. And that isn't the case here.

The writer of Genesis tells of Creation in chapter one by emphasizing the sequence of events. There is an orderliness to the description that is lacking in chapter two. Now, in chapter two, the writer is not concerned to tell you about the timing of the events which he has already told you that information in chapter one. Now, he wants to focus on the next important point: the origin of man and woman. Notice how much there is about the male-female relationship in chapter two that is totally missing from chapter one.

So, they don’t contradict one another because they are treating different aspects of the entire creation from different perspectives.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

i'm really not going to reiterate. that's fine if it's "already known" (not by wtbs btw)...again many contradictions still exist even after you accept this duality notion.

• darth frosty
  • kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

It is a contradiction if you accept it literally and accept the unfounded premise that the chapter one people are the same as the chapter 2 people. That is the mistake the WT makes, to take an unfounded premise and make a convoluted unfounded explanation to explain it. If you need it to be literal then the narrative has the Elohim gods creating plants, animals and humans in chapter 1 and being satisfied with the results. Then it picks up in chapter 2 with the YHVH god forming an individual man and placing him in a garden, then later realizing the man would do better to have a woman. The narrative proceeds to cover the following events involving the woman, the snake, fruit and so forth.

My favorite explanation of the chapter 1 people, and how they differ from the chapter 2 people is found here.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/experiences/60635/1/The-Other-People

I actually discussed this idea with a couple JWs, with comical results in their answers to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww75UH2Io74

So I do not see this matter being a contradiction.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

How many chapters in Genesis do we have to read to come upon varying stories? Frankly, I'd rather have the contradiction of different writers. How coud man be man without woman, in opposition. Women should choose a different God to worship. One version is very antifemale. Why? We are at creation - no Eve convincing Adam to eat the forbidden fruit. Also, if Adam were truly a man, what is wrong with the word "No."

In my version, Lillith is created first.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

BOTR......Terry Pratchett? "Witches Abroad"?............or possible Im completely off my nut....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit