first contradiction in the bible?

by cptkirk 82 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

however the bible doesnt have any Joseph Smith.... i am dissapointed

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

oh and no mohammed.... God needs to check his history.....

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

first contradiction?.... how bout "holy scriptures"?

• Tyre
    Tyre

First contradiction ?

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let US make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

how many God are there ?
  • Terry
    Terry

At some point in the history of the Jewish people as a community all of their various ideas, stories, myths and such were captured in writing.

What could be harmonized logically was harmonized. (redaction)

What was contradictory was merely placed in separate chapters. (parallelism)

Undoubtedly, the captivity into a foreign nation (Babylon) and exposure to another culture, language and mythos deeply influenced Israel's own self-awareness.

Babylon was like New York compared to Israel's Appalachian backwoods yokel society.

The big city opened their eyes to a vastly superior sense of time and place in the cosmos.

Don't doubt for a minute that the Old Testament was an imitation effort by Hebrew writers at emulating an importance for themselves they had observed first hand in Babylon.

Like a farm girl sitting in a movie theater watching a glamorous Hollywood starlet who goes home and looks in the mirror for "improvements", the returned captives were filled with

an enthusiasm to BECOME something much more than they were before captivity.

It all starts with the stories you tell about yourself and your origins.

You know how the superhero genre has been REBOOTED from time to time to energize the story and fanbase?

Jews after captivity were REBOOTED as to origin stories and the superheroes emerged as Jehovah empowered tribal champions.

Were it not for this brush with something much more dynamic than their own humble desert dwelling tribalism we might not have even had JUDAISM as a pillar of monotheism in the world.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

This is very perceptive of you Terry. On my computer I have a collection of your most outstanding posts from over the years.

One day I may fashion them into a bible and present it to the world as the first inerrant, contradiction free bible. Of course, I will take the credit claiming that I inspired you. It will be called, 'Gladiator la Biblia.'

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

good point tyre. "let us"....not let I the great and sovereign ....wtf is us? now we are back to greek mythology. jewish mythology always seemed to keep that consistency with the one infallible sovereign...greek mythology was the one with all the fallible dieties. i'm following zeus! wait he died didn't he? heh...

• Roddy
    Roddy

@ cptkirk

The early creation account in Genesis was actually two accounts which were put together ... not exactly chronologically well.

So, the whole point of your critique is based upon someone putting point 3 ahead of point 2? ... or something like that? :)

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The US in genesis is a BIT debated.

Trinitarians point out the relationship between Father, Son and HS.

Non-trinitarians say it was God speaking to his Angels.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

cptkirk from ur post on the 1st page i must say...bravo good cpt bravo!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit