first contradiction in the bible?

by cptkirk 82 Replies latest watchtower bible

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Paul: We are made in God's image, WE act like God, not the other way around.

I beg to differ: I've never intentionally burned my children with fire, drowned them, caused them to have boils, sent wild animals to attack them, etc.... nor have I demanded their love - I earn it (I hope).

It makes sense that the tellers/writers would write/tell in a way that the readers/listeners could relate.

It makes even more sense that a divine being had nothing to do with those writings, which would explain the misogyny, genocide, rape, etc... - things in which the readers/listeners back then could relate because of living in a less-civilized era.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    It makes even more sense that a divine being had NOTHING to do with those writings, which would explain the misogyny, genocide, rape, etc... - things in which the readers/listeners back then could relate because of living in a less-civilized era.

Preaching to the converted on that one bro.

Allow me to quote Jeremiah:

8 How can you say, “We are wise,

and the law of the Lord is with us,”

when, in fact, the false pen of the scribes

has made it into a lie?

9 The wise shall be put to shame,

they shall be dismayed and taken;

since they have rejected the word of the Lord ,

what wisdom is in them?

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

illuminator: exactly, it's the dictionary. just keep re-arranging until it makes sense.

not sure where anyone would get the crazy idea that genesis is chronological. i mean first god did x and it was the first day, then god did y and it was the second day, then god did z and it was the third day. you crazy logical thinkers always trying to make things make sense.

• unshackled
    unshackled

The Bible is like LEGO, you can make whatever you want out of it.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    SBC: It makes even more sense that a divine being had NOTHING to do with those writings...
    Psac: Preaching to the converted on that one bro.

So if no divine authority had anything to do with the writing of the canonical books, why give any credence to them over the Book of Mormon or the Koran?

• St George of England
    St George of England

The WTS 'explanation', from the Creation book:

*** ce chap. 3 pp. 34-36 pars. 29-32 What Does Genesis Say? ***

29 Chapter 2 of Genesis apparently adds some details. However, it is not, as some have concluded, another account of creation in conflict with that of chapter 1. It just takes up at a point in the third “day,” after dry land appeared but before land plants were created, adding details that were pertinent to the arrival of humans—Adam the living soul, his garden home, Eden, and the woman Eve, his wife.—Genesis 2:5-9, 15-18, 21, 22.

30 The foregoing is presented to help us understand what Genesis says. And this quite realistic account indicates that the creative process continued throughout a period of, not just 144 hours (6 × 24), but over many millenniums of time.

How Did Genesis Know?

31 Many find it hard to accept this creation account. They contend that it is drawn from the creation myths of ancient peoples, primarily those from ancient Babylon. However, as one recent Bible dictionary noted: “No myth has yet been found which explicitly refers to the creation of the universe” and the myths “are marked by polytheism and the struggles of deities for supremacy in marked contrast to the Heb[rew] monotheism of [Genesis] 1-2.”3 Regarding Babylonian creation legends, the trustees of the British Museum stated: “The fundamental conceptions of the Babylonian and Hebrew accounts are essentially different.”4

32 From what we have considered, the Genesis creation account emerges as a scientifically sound document. It reveals the larger categories of plants and animals, with their many varieties, reproducing only “according to their kinds.” The fossil record provides confirmation of this. In fact, it indicates that each “kind” appeared suddenly, with no true transitional forms linking it with any previous “kind,” as required by the evolution theory.

Don't you just wonder how some of us ever believed this stuff? Brainwashing at its best!

George

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    So if no divine authority had anything to do with the writing of the canonical books, why give any credence to them over the Book of Mormon or the Koran?

A very valid question.

Have you read the book of Mormon and/or the Koran?

The bible ( OT and NT) is a progressive revelatory work, cumluating in the LIVING WORD of God, Christ ( for christians anyway), which means that are are suppose to see a "progressive" revelation of God's plan, cumulating in Christ, which for a Christian is what we see.

As I read the bible I see this also, I see a bible that progresses from an accomodation of God for His people to God actively taking action WITHING History to make HIMSELF revealed at a focal point in Time ( A time chosen By Him for Him).

It is a complex subject that would require lots of writing but a coupelof good places are:

God's word in Human Words, by Ken Sparks

Is God a moral monster, by Paul Copan.

Will that answer your question? maybe, it helped me to CONFRIM my Answer.

And my answer is simply this:

I found truth and love in the bible, something that reconciles the other ways God has revealed himself to Us (The universe, the words of inspired men, His living Word Christ, our innate understanding of right and wrong- what we ought to do).

I did NOT find that in the Koran or Book of Mormons OR the WTBTS for that matter.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

sacramento: can i ask you a question? (i'm not trying to make fun of you, i just want to show you something).

can you show me exactly where you learned truth and love in the bible exactly? like what book/verse?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Paul: Have you read the book of Mormon and/or the Koran?

Only parts of each. For example, in the Koran I've read some comforting thoughts as well as heinous commands, similar to the Bible.

The bible ( OT and NT) is a progressive revelatory work, cumluating in the LIVING WORD of God, Christ ( for christians anyway), which means that are are suppose to see a "progressive" revelation of God's plan, cumulating in Christ, which for a Christian is what we see.

Hang on, Paul. Based on the order of your answer, this card is a clear "begging the question" kind of presupposition. It cannot logically be played until after a person has faith as a Christian. Until then, it's just a book that deserves equal scrutiny as any other book that makes claims to divine authorship. My question is WHY would we give credence to the Bible in the first place, before we develop that faith...

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    can you show me exactly where you learned truth and love in the bible exactly? like what book/verse?

Good place to start is with GOJ and 1John.

The famous verse from 1Corinthians is also a good one.

I mean, if you want specific verses I am sure you can find them, if not I will find them for you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit