London Riots

by leavingwt 143 Replies latest social current

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The home secretary, Theresa May, is coming under increasing pressure to use water cannon on the streets of mainland Britain for the first time after a third night of rioting in London left emergency services stretched.

Politicians have joined residents and business owners in affected areas in calling for water cannon to be deployed to curb the lawlessness that has escalated since riots in Tottenham on Saturday, precipitated by the fatal shooting by police of Mark Duggan.

Water cannons have been used to control sectarian violence in Northern Ireland but on Tuesday morning May ruled out the prospect of their use on the mainland.

"The way we police in Britain is not through use of water cannon," she told Sky News. "The way we police in Britain is through consent of communities."

But with scenes of hooded and masked youths torching and looting buildings and attacking police officers being played out across the capital and beyond, pressure is growing for more robust measures to be adopted to try to bring an end to the violence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/09/theresa-may-water-cannon-riots

• purplesofa
  • NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

There I was completely wasting, out of work and down
    all inside it's so frustrating as I drift from town to town
    feel as though nobody cares if I live or die
    so I might as well begin to put some action in my life

• mummatron
    mummatron

It angers me that the looters and rioters cannot see the irony of their actions. In the article on the Sun newspaper's website (link posted earlier in the thread by DM6), "A girl looting Currys was heard shouting "We're getting our taxes back" when she was confronted about what she was doing".

By stretching the resources of the emergency services, stealing from retailers and torching buildings, all they're really acheiving is driving up the cost of taxes, goods and insurance for every Brit.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

It's madness! Imagine! Things go wrong so I smash up my home! Oh, that'll solve everything! Quoth he sarcasticall!

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

"A girl looting Currys was heard shouting "We're getting our taxes back" when she was confronted about what she was doing".

I find it hard to believe that any of this scum have actually ever paid taxes.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

1 million views, 50,300 Facebook shares, 40,000 tweets have sent 'woman's speech to rioters' viral http://t.co/WzDiPTM **language**

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Just goes to show revolution doesn't have to necessarily be limited to the Middle East, or South America. After watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes (awesome revamp of the series btw) , I'm feeling kinda revolutionary myself.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Imagine a riot here in the DFW area. There would be plenty of casualties! Specially if the owners were present. Store owners around rough areas are packing.

• punkofnice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit