1874, 1914 and 1943

by TD 96 Replies latest jw friends

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@00DAD:

So let me get this straight: JW's today have "a different understanding" than Russell or Rutherford. These are called "progressive" beliefs or "Present Truth".

You've got it!

Hmmm, well I suppose that would all be fine if the GB wouldn't DF people for getting there sooner or later than them, or simply disagreeing.

I don't want any of my spiritual brothers or sisters to be disfellowshipped either, but, by way of illustration, if you had come into our household as the ninth child when we are already raising eight children, with a few of these being adopted as your own so that you, their parents, call these adoptees "son" and "daughter" the same as you call your biological children "son" and "daughter," and they all of them call you "Mom" or "Dad," and you, the ninth child, should become disgruntled with the way in which we administer discipline in our own household, believing our grounding you for a month to impress upon your mind the need to comply with our rule against sneaking into the freezer to eat ice cream and taking one or two pieces of chicken without asking for permission to do so and especially lying about it -- a rule of conduct by which the rest of our children know they must abide for the sake of peace among them and with us, their parents -- to be morally wrong, you will still be disciplined in the same way that we equally discipline all of our children without exception in the hope that you will learn that you must comply with our rule. This means that there is a possibility that you will be grounded for another month should you repeat the same or a similar offense.

However, if we should learn that you have begun to plant "apostate" views of dissent among the rest of the children, hoping to cause a mutiny by enlisting one or more of them to join your rebellion against our authority as your parents, it might be that we will have to send you back to the orphanage or wherever it was you used to live to protect the household from your having an unwholesome influence on them, if your rebelliousness doesn't cause you to become a runaway to get away from our authority, but you need to learn that we administer discipline in our household for a similar reason as such is administered in God's household, namely, in order "that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in God's household, which is the congregation of the living God, a pillar and support of the truth." (1 Timothy 3:15)

God's organization began as a mustard seed, but has now grown into a large luxuriant tree, and the birds are free to lodge in this "tree" -- God's organization -- if they wish. (Matthew 13:31, 32) You may not like how discipline in being administered in God's organization today, and there are things that I don't like that we do in the congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses based on the results of a vote then by elders that could possibly be voting "yes" because, not being perfect people, they just don't like the person very much and just don't want to be merciful, but this is the way things are being now in God's household. We have been called to peace, so, I say, leave this stuff alone, for we have a central body of elders -- we refer to them as our "Governing Body" -- to whom we look to resolve such matters, but keep in mind that they are also imperfect men and resolving this issue may not be the priority item you would like it to be on its plate.

Those of us that have come to join God's household by getting baptized have no say in the matter of disfellowshipping, but I do expect the voting policy will change. Let your focus be on the work of the ministry to which we have been assigned (Matthew 28:19, 20; 2 Timothy 4:2), and don't lose your mind by doing something stupid. Rather, brace up your mind for activity and "keep your senses completely." (1 Peter 1:13)

We are well aware that some that regularly associate with us at meetings may seek to cause us "trouble with speeches" to subvert our faith and thereby "pervert the good news about the Christ," but we must also be on the watch for any "poisonous root" that might spring up and cause the kind of trouble in God's congregation that might defile and deprive others of God's undeserved kindness. (Acts 15:24; Galatians 1:7; Hebrews 12:15)

If the disfellowshipping policy bothers you or you or one of your own family members should become disfellowshipped for any reason, do not leave God's household; that would be a bad move. A better one is for you and yours to move to a different congregation, maybe a different circuit, but away from those whose imperfections could cause you to stumble right out of the truth due to your own imperfections, and start anew. I often show up at congregations where no one knows me to observe and you know what? Many of the friends don't say "Hello" to me unless I say "Hello" first, and so I could feel that they are shunning me, but I also know such behavior isn't so much personal as it is human nature for people that don't know you to do. If you've been disfellowshipped, break the ice by searching out the elders in that "different" congregation and let them know that you or your loved one that has been disfellowshipped seeks to be reinstated, but keep in mind that you or your disfellowshipped loved one is partly the reason for the disfellowshipment and the other part was the decision of the elders on the judicial committee that said "yes." Jehovah is still your God and he had no direct input in the decision that was made against you or your disfellowshipped loved one.

BTW, which one of the six different "understandings" of the meaning of the term "generation" will ultimately turn out to be the correct one? Or maybe we haven't gotten there yet either?

I don't know, but so what? We often will speculate as to the meaning of things that are not clearly discerned by us, and we say so, but everlasting life doesn't depend upon us knowing what Jesus meant at Matthew 24:34, does it? If anyone wishes to leave God's household, because there are other things that they wish to do, because they want to serve other gods, like their bellies, for due to their having "their minds upon things on the earth" and "not having spirituality," they prefer to proceed "according to their own desires" (Philippians 3:19; Jude 18, 19), we can take our own counsel, live by our own standards and no one can stop them.

Maybe one wishes to put a little more zing in their life by assuming the risks associated with having sexual relations with someone to whom they are not married, even though they have been urged, like all Christians, to abstain from fornication, even believing that their ungodly conduct will not result in their contracting a sexually-transmitted disease like genital herpes, Herpes simplex, HIV/AIDS, human papilloma virus (HPV) or Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpes virus (HHV-8), which can impact their quality of life and maybe destroy the possibility of their having children, all in totally disregard for the many warnings that we ourselves might have given our children.

Jehovah is only trying to protect us both physically and spiritually, but if such restrictions upon our behavior should be viewed by us as being burdensome, and it takes you leaving our ranks or getting disfellowshipped from our ranks to learn that "Jehovah is good" and that this is "why he instructs sinners in the way," then I believe your being saved is worth your going through the experience even if you should afterward, when you come back to your senses, be forced to take pills every day due to your having taken such a risk. (Psalm 25:8; 34:8)

Maybe it's just me, but I want some truth that's going to be the same yesterday, today and forever. Is that too much to ask?

No, it's not just you. I, too, want to know the truth -- all of it -- but there are things that Russell and the Bible Students didn't know that we know today and there are things that Rutherford and the Bible Students didn't know that Jehovah's Witnesses know today. What things Jehovah's Witnesses know today is "present truth," and what things we have learned were learned progressively. Yet Jesus Christ remains "the truth," and he "is the same yesterday and today, and forever." (John 14:6; Hebrews 13:8) You may be anxious and desire to know and understand all of the truth that the Bible contains in it (John 17:17), but the truth is being revealed to God's people progressively.

Today, in Jehovah's great Spiritual House, we're to maintain cleanness, wearing our "white robes," meaning that we are must be clean physically, clean mentally, clean morally, clean emotionally, clean spiritually, and in every way if we are to have the privilege of serving in His temple, both "day and night." (Revelation 7:13-15) Both Russell and, until 1935, Rutherford thought "the great multitude," who we refer to today as "the great crowd," would actually be in heaven standing in front of God's throne, because they did not understand that when we attend meetings at the Kingdom Hall or share the good news with others in our Christian ministry, we are engaging in sacred service to God before his throne in his great spiritual temple.

Since 1973, cigarette smoking has been viewed as a 'defilement of the flesh' (2 Corinthians 7:1) by Jehovah's Witnesses. Russell and Rutherford did not understand God's view of smoking in the way that Jehovah's Witnesses understand it today. Since 1995, we how come to understand that the separating of "the sheep" from "the goats" doesn't take place until after the great tribulation when Jesus sits in judgment over "all the nations ... gathered before him," (Matthew 25:32) Russell and Rutherford did not understand this judgment in the way that Jehovah's Witnesses understand it today.

At 2 Peter 3:9, 15, we are urged to consider God's patience "as salvation," because he doesn't desire anyone "to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance." I submit, @00DAD, that you will need to learn patience, too, for "all creation keeps on groaning together and being in pain together until now." (Romans 8:22)

@djeggnog

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

For those active JWs, there is a new program in place where publishers who frequent and 'witness' on apostate websites will receive TRIPLE TIME! That's right, for every hour you spend on an apostate site you may count THREE HOURS (hazard pay) Just let your service committee know you're interested in this new program and you may be approved to receive TRIPLE TIME!

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Both Russell and, until 1935, Rutherford thought "the great multitude," who we refer to today as "the great crowd," would actually be in heaven standing in front of God's throne, because they did not understand that when we attend meetings at the Kingdom Hall or share the good news with others in our Christian ministry, we are engaging in sacred service to God before his throne in his great spiritual temple.

Russell and Rutherford used Revelation 14 for the samepurpose as the modern day Witnesses do, even though the complete understanding changed through time. It's a malign logical misdirection on your part to point out that your hack of a religion changed from one false interpretation of Revelation to another. You've just got smoke and mirrors, DJ, you need to try harder, I have seen you do so in the past infrequently.

The bottom line is that you, and your people, used the Bible then to manipulate your flock and you are using the Bible today as well to do the same thing.

The Bible has intrinsic value, why? Not because it fortells the future or gives reliable history (you have to create a system of indoctrination and information control to get people to believe the same in those regards). It may have some philosophy that points to broad societal changes over time (like disobedience to parents, etc) as well as have gems of wisdom. The Bible turns heads mostly do to the fact that society has chosen the book consistantly through time. PEOPLE (INDIVIDUALS) HAVE CHOSEN IT, NOT GOD. It's contents have been the object of many people's desire and many, such as you, froth at the mouth at the very thought of learning it's "ultimate truth."

It's a mistake to think as rigidly as you do and life will catch up to you, mark my words, merchant.

-Sab

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Russell never taught that his second coming had occurred in 1874.

I think Russell used the term "second coming" imprecisely to refer to both the parousia (hence the expression "second presence", which occurred frequently in his writings, e.g. the September 1898 issue of Zion's Watch Tower, pp. 259-275, which uses both expressions) and the later epiphania or apokalupsis. With respect to the latter Russell would write, for instance, that the Memorial is supposed to be observed "until his second coming, until the establishment of his Kingdom" (Zion's Watch Tower, August 1883, p. 68), and occasionally he would refer to the "second coming" as still future when the Church will be glorified (cf. 15 June 1907 Zion's Watch Tower, p. 180, 15 March 1912 Zion's Watch Tower, p. 92). But at the same time he clearly described the second coming as commenced with the parousia in 1874. So in criticizing certain dispensationalists who think "the Lord will take the Church away to heaven and then come back again and make his epiphania or apokalupsis," Russell argued that this "would be a third advent which is nowhere even hinted in Scripture" (Zion's Watch Tower, September 1898, p. 264). This is so because the second advent or coming would be earlier when Christ became present to gather his Church during the Harvest: "We might say that his day or time of presence -- 'the day of the Lord' -- will come as a thief in the night, and in this time he will gather his virgin Church" (ibid.; cf. November 1880 Zion's Watch Tower, p. 3: "the object of Christ's second coming is to receive or gather His church to Himself"). There are some instances where Russell clearly described the second coming as having begun in 1874. In the August 1883 issue of Zion's Watch Tower (p. 1), Russell refers to the "time of our Lord's coming" (specifically, "his second coming") as the same as when "the Lord was due to be present in 1874":

So short a time ago as 1870 we saw, in addition to the first principles of the Gospel, only the two bare facts--the Lord's second coming and the Restitution --and these but vaguely; for though we then saw restitution taught in Scripture, we were much in doubt as to its comprehensiveness, questioning often whether it would include all the billions of the dead whom the god of this world had in the present life blinded. And concerning the Lord's second coming, while we realized that he is no longer a man, but is now the new creature--the express image of the Father's person-- a quickening spirit, yet we failed somehow to make a proper application of this to his second coming, and unthinkingly and ignorantly, rather expected his coming to be as a glorified man, than as a spiritual being. It was not until about 1874 that these things became clearer, so that we realized that when Jesus should come, it would be as unobserved by human eyes as though an angel had come; and that it could be known only by some miracle, by some manifestation or demonstration....

Next our attention was drawn to the subject of the TIME of our Lord's coming. Before this we had strenuously ignored time, partly because of its being made so much of by "Second Adventists," and because of the frequent failures of their expectations. Moreover, the fact that they claimed the destruction of the world to be the impending event, and used the periods of time mentioned in Scripture to mark the time of that destruction, was another reason why we were disposed to ignore the subject of time. Their erroneous theory of the destruction of the world cast discredit on the time which they associated with it.

When, however, the manner of our Lord's coming was seen in the light of what he is--a spiritual, and no longer a human being--then we saw that our Father had provided TIME in the Bible, that thus we might know, or see with the eye of our understanding, what we could not see with our natural eyes-- viz., the Lord's presence. A careful study of times and seasons taught in Scripture convinced us that the Lord was due to be present in 1874, and other time teachings of the Word showed that in the spring of 1875 the restitution of all things was due to commence.

This conclusion was rather startling, and surprised us thoroughly. It would have seemed so much easier to believe had the prophecies pointed twenty years ahead and shown us that then Jesus would come--be present and do a separating work in the nominal Church, and during a time of trouble should so order the truth that it, as his word, would smite down evil and error of every form, including "the kingdoms of this world," under "the prince of this world." We re-examined every point carefully, and every part fitted to every other with a completeness that bore the stamp of truth, and with a strength which testified that the calculations came from and were the testimony of God's chronometer.

Similarly, in the June 1884 issue of Zion's Watch Tower (pp. 6-7), Russell describes "the second coming of Christ" as a period that began in 1874, which cannot be split into two separate comings (the coming of Christ for his saints, which is explicitly dated to autumn 1874, and the coming of Christ to judge the world) but which comprises a single "second coming":

While all that is prophesied concerning the second coming of Christ is not yet due to transpire, yet we see that those things due in the beginning of his day are actually coming to pass before our eyes....We have learned, as heretofore shown, that the coming of Christ for his saints was in the fall of 1874, and that the first work before him was the glorifying of the saints. There, the harvest time began--the separation of wheat from tares, etc. Since the fall of 1881 we learn that "Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord from henceforth" --blessed because they would not have to sleep, for to them the instant of death is the instant of change....The theory that Jesus would divide the second advent into two parts, first to gather his saints and afterward to with them judge the world in righteousness, is a misleading theory which has gained some prominence of late years, being advanced by some people called PLYMOUTH BRETHREN. It seemed to them a necessary theory because of one truth and one error which they attempted to unite. They saw from Scripture that the Lord's coming would be as a thief unobservedly. They saw, too, that a separation of the true from the lukewarm and cold in the Church must take place, and the little flock be exalted to power before the world's trial commenced. These considerations and others led them to the correct thought, that Jesus would be present and accomplish a work for and in the Church before it would be glorified.

But we think that in holding to a visible fleshly coming of Jesus they erred, and to have a place for both thoughts they concluded that Jesus would go away with his Church all unseen to the world, and then all come together in the flesh visible to human sight--with observation or demonstration to establish a visible dominion in some spot of earth--probably Palestine. (Luke 17:20)

To our understanding there is only one second coming. He comes to do a variety of work, and shall not leave it nor return until he hath accomplished to put down all power and authority.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hey folks. Just a thought or two. (as I offer to Leolaia my kudo's for offering her talent of presenting, then explaining the evidence)

DJeggwrong (might be spelling that wrong), could be a strong JW. Probably isn't. It's easy to doubt his motives, but we are all behind keyboards looking at type on a computer screen.

Before anyone has to feel the need to defend logic and truth about "da troof", just remember, most people who convert to JW's in the west are either incredibly naive (and thus unhelpable) or a little bit off. (making them equally unhelpable.)

My personal opinion is that DJeggwrong is here for himself or for the sadistic pleasure he get's for the upset he imagines he is causing.

So argue, because i get it. Can't let what 'he' says go. I get that very much. But realize, most people don't give a rats ass shit about JW's, and if DJeggwrong came to their door spouting this sewer type nonesense, they would slam the door in his face. He would feed off the persecution from the 15 mph breeze the slamming door would create. The door slammer himself would give a giggle, 5 seconds worth of thought on 'Boy, there are weird people in the world'. Then get on with their day.

This is a JW forum. So since JW's rarely talk to actual people anymore at the door, morons from the cult come to websites from time to time, getting their rocks off, not on being correct, (1914, really??) but on the argument and debate.

So say your peace, but remember. Jehovah's Witnesses still knock on people's door in this year of 2011 insisting that 1914 really meant something and that Jesus came invisibly.

....and stop giggling at the phrase that "Jesus came invisibly". Because DJeggwrong is coming invisibly too....

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

TD started a great thread to show that God's Kingdom of a Thousand Years Has Approached is incorrect in saying the second coming was moved from 1874 to 1914 in 1943, since this change happened in the early 1930's. The book is also dishonest in trying to atribute to change to the revised formula of the 6000 years.

It is a shame Eggnogg hijacked the thread with an irrelevant argument (as well as illogical and incorrect) that it was Rutherford not Russell that said the Second Coming was in 1874 - at least I think that is what the rambling was about. It is a counter-productive argument, as in either case it proves the Watchtower has no idea how to correctly interpret Scripture and certainly cannot claim guidance by holy spirit when it gets these dates wrong and has to change them.

As Leolaia eloquently showed, it is not as black and white as Eggnogg wants us to prove. Russell was not consistent in presentation of when the Second Coming was, and whether Second Coming, Presence and Second Advent were one and the same thing, or different events. That is also the case in Christianity, with differing opinions on whether these three terms are interchangeable or not. However, from my reading of it, Russell did say the Second Coming/Second Advent started Jesus' 40 year presence in 1874, to culminate in the end of the world in 1914.

Djeggnogg - I speak neither American or British, I am Australian and we speak different like downunder, mate.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    As an adult and a Christian though, I admit that I believe in bludgeoning folks with the truth, and as you may have noticed, I'm very good at it. ... DJEggNog

And you have a wonderful sense of humour and self-deprecation through parody.

I'm not quite a lawyer yet. I have yet to sit for the California Bar ... DJEggNog

Any mug can get an LLB and pass a bar exam . . . what I would love to see is you attempt to represent an argument in court. You'd be cut to ribbons and laughed at. But I suspect you'll be one of those lawyers who steer well clear of a courtroom. You see . . . they have Judges, that won't let you insult the opposing council and run away when you're caught lying.

You are truly delusional my dear man.

Because DJeggwrong is coming invisibly too....

@AKJ . . . of that, there is little doubt.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Djeggnogg said - "us, their parents -- to be morally wrong, you will still be disciplined in the same way that WE equally discipline all of OUR children without exception in the hope that you will learn that you must comply with OUR RULE"(capitals mine) - This illustration is an incoherent mess, it doesn't make sense gramatically, and you refer to 'us' as being both the children and the parents, but I thought I'd just point out that the 'parents' (Governing body) seem to own the children in your little story, and they expect the children to submit to their rule. Whose flock is it that the GB are meant to be sheperding? And would Jesus leave his children with people that change the rules as they go, even changing the severity of punishment and/or whether the action is punishable, who even kick out of the home and spiritually place the death sentence on any child that dares to say they are being treated unfairly and inconsistently? For instance, to go along with part of your example, a child who stole a chicken leg from the freezer and was disciplined (based on a rule regarding not stealing chicken from the freezer), is upset when another child a short time later is allowed to take a chicken leg because the parents have now 'realised' that the leg doesn't represent the whole chicken, and so the rule of not stealing chickens doesn't apply here. Just two of the flaws in your illustration in relation to reality.. Dj said- "your rebellion against our authority as your parents" - Whose authority are Christians under? And if Jesus has given the GB/elders at the local level such authority, where is the proof? There is plenty of evidence of lack of divine backing.. Dj said- '' leave this stuff alone, for we have a central body of elders -- we refer to them as our"Governing Body" -- to whom we look to resolve such matters'' - Really.. So jw's look to the GB to resolve matters? How about Jehovah, shouldn't he be at least consulted? I find this sentence very revealing as to who jw's today really put their trust in. ''Maybe one wishes to put a little more zing in their life by assuming the risks associated with having sexual relations with someone to whom they are not married'' - What is wrong with you? Are you obsessed with sex? There's a pattern developing.. This part of the reply of yours has nothing to do with the question, which was about the generation doctrine and its changes. Why can you not answer the question in a clear, concise and direct way, rather than avoid it? You still haven't replied to my last post in the 'spiritual paradise' thread, though, so I don't expect a reply to this.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@jwfacts wrote:

Prior to 1914 the Watchtower taught that the second coming was in 1874.

@djeggnog wrote:

Prove this by providing a quote from any Watchtower publication that teaches that Christ's second coming occurred in 1874. Until you should get around to producing such a quote, this statement of yours is a lie.

@jwfacts wrote:

What about the following quotes then?

@djeggnog wrote:

You have here provided not one, but two quotes taken completely out of context in order to prove your contention that Russell and the Bible Students did not believe Christ's Second Coming or Second Advent would occur in 1914 with the hope that such nonsense would escape my notice, as might escape the notice of the clueless and weak-minded functional illiterates that have had little or no formal education, many of whom have no high school diploma and have never learned the folly of providing statements made out of context as proof to someone with an education and who doesn't suffer from a reading comprehension disability.

My point here is that both of these quotes you provided in your message were taken out of context. The conclusions you reached and included in your message were absurd. I underlined the surrounding text from the Thy Kingdom Come and Creation books from which the quotations in your message came that you did not include that would have informed you as to the context of Russell's and Rutherford's words that for some reason you thought would make your point about what Russell believed as to Christ's invisible presence and his Second Coming, which, in those days, Christ's "second presence" was thought to have begun in 1874 and extended to 1914, "during the latter part of the period known as 'the time of the end.'"

@jwfacts wrote:

I provided a quote showing that it the teaching was that the second coming was in 1874.

The quotes from TD show that the second coming and parousia continued to be taught to be 1874 well after 1914.

@djeggnog wrote:

But this is not true. Just as I pointed out in my last message, Jesus' Second Coming was expected to occur at the end of the Gentile Times, some 2,520 years after 606 BC, or 1914. Notice I said 606 BC and not 607 BC, because Russell's chronology was based on an error in allowing for a zero year that did not exist, but taking this into consideration, when counting 2,520 years from 607 BC, you still arrive at 1914, which is when the Bible Students expected Jesus' return, his Second Coming.

However, Russell never taught Jesus' parousia to be the same as Jesus' Second Coming. What those quotes that were provided in my previous message from those 1913 and 1914 issues of the Watch Tower prove is that neither Russell nor the Bible Students [believed] Jesus' parousia or presence to have been the same as his Second Coming. In 1876, Russell and Barbour believed that Jesus' parousia had begun in 1874, two years earlier, and that his Second Coming would occur 40 years later in 1914. After 1914, that Jesus' parousia has begun in 1874 continued to be taught until 1943 until the Society released the book, The Truth Shall Make You Free, which served to correct the misunderstanding that had existed since Russell's time with respect to Bible chronology.

"We say that according to the best chronological reckoning of which we are capable, it is approximately that time--whether it be October, 1914, or later. Without dogmatizing, we are looking for certain events: (1) The termination of the Gentile times--Gentile supremacy in the world--and (2) For the inauguration of Messiah’s kingdom in the world. The kingdoms of earth will come to an end, and 'the God of heaven will set up a kingdom.' (Daniel 2:44)"

(Watch Tower, dated October 15, 1913, pp. 307, 308.)

@jwfacts wrote:

If the teaching of 1874 as the start of the second coming changed in 1930 (not 1943), then it had nothing to do with the change in the calculation of the 6000 years.

@djeggnog wrote:

Excuse me, but what on earth are you talking about here? I never said a thing about the teaching regarding Christ's "second coming" as having been changed from 1874, since Russell never taught that his second coming had occurred in 1874.

@Leolaia wrote:

I think Russell used the term "second coming" imprecisely to refer to both the parousia (hence the expression "second presence", which occurred frequently in his writings....

@jwfacts:

As Leolaia eloquently showed, it is not as black and white as Eggnogg wants us to prove. Russell was not consistent in presentation of when the Second Coming was, and whether Second Coming, Presence and Second Advent were one and the same thing, or different events. That is also the case in Christianity, with differing opinions on whether these three terms are interchangeable or not. However, from my reading of it, Russell did say the Second Coming/Second Advent started Jesus' 40 year presence in 1874, to culminate in the end of the world in 1914.

You need to read again what it was you originally wrote because what you're doing now in agreeing with @Leolaia's statement here is pretending that what she says here is in complete agreement with what you said when disputing the matter with me. You were being disagreeable with me, but it appears that you are now willing to acknowledge the ambiguity that exists in many of the things that were written during Russell's stewardship over the Society, but I have explained how I view the writings of both men (Russell and Rutherford). You don't want to be disagreeable toward @Leolaia, and that's fine, but if some of her statements are consistent with mine, then why exactly are you still arguing with me if you are in agreement with her statements? Is it the fact that I am the one saying them that makes all of the difference or what? (These last few questions here are rhetorical since it's clear to me that you just want to argue with me.)

Now @Leolaia didn't go as far as to say what I'm about to say here, but I'll incorporate by reference what it is I have already said here and add here, that after having read Russell and Rutherford, that it is clear to me that these men didn't have good proofreaders, for had what they wrote been proofread by a good proofreader (like the ones we have in Brooklyn and in Patterson today!), many of the statements that are ambiguous at best regarding Christ's invisible presence or parousia and his second coming would have been phrased more clearly.

@00DAD wrote:

Hmmm, well I suppose that would all be fine if the GB wouldn't DF people for getting there sooner or later than them, or simply disagreeing.

@djeggnog wrote:

I don't want any of my spiritual brothers or sisters to be disfellowshipped either, but, by way of illustration, if you had come into our household as the ninth child when we are already raising eight children, with a few of these being adopted as [our] own so that [we], their parents, call these adoptees "son" and "daughter" the same as [we] call [our] biological children "son" and "daughter," and they all of them call [us] "Mom" or "Dad," and you, the ninth child, should become disgruntled with the way in which we administer discipline in our own household, believing our grounding you for a month to impress upon your mind the need to comply with our rule against sneaking into the freezer to eat ice cream and taking one or two pieces of chicken without asking for permission to do so and especially lying about it -- a rule of conduct by which the rest of our children know they must abide for the sake of peace among them and with us, their parents -- to be morally wrong, you will still be disciplined in the same way that we equally discipline all of our children without exception in the hope that you will learn that you must comply with our rule. This means that there is a possibility that you will be grounded for another month should you repeat the same or a similar offense.

However, if we should learn that you have begun to plant "apostate" views of dissent among the rest of the children, hoping to cause a mutiny by enlisting one or more of them to join your rebellion against our authority as your parents, it might be that we will have to send you back to the orphanage or wherever it was you used to live to protect the household from your having an unwholesome influence on them, if your rebelliousness doesn't cause you to become a runaway to get away from our authority, but you need to learn that we administer discipline in our household for a similar reason as such is administered in God's household, namely, in order "that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in God's household, which is the congregation of the living God, a pillar and support of the truth." (1 Timothy 3:15)

God's organization began as a mustard seed, but has now grown into a large luxuriant tree, and the birds are free to lodge in this "tree" -- God's organization -- if they wish. (Matthew 13:31, 32) You may not like how discipline in being administered in God's organization today, and there are things that I don't like that we do in the congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses based on the results of a vote [taken] by elders that could possibly be voting "yes" because, not being perfect people, they just don't like the person very much and just don't want to be merciful, but this is the way things are being [done] now in God's household. We have been called to peace, so, I say, leave this stuff alone, for we have a central body of elders -- we refer to them as our "Governing Body" -- to whom we look to resolve such matters, but keep in mind that they are also imperfect men and resolving this issue may not be the priority item you would like it to be on its plate.

Those of us that have come to join God's household by getting baptized have no say in the matter of disfellowshipping, but I do expect the voting policy will change. Let your focus be on the work of the ministry to which we have been assigned (Matthew 28:19, 20; 2 Timothy 4:2), and don't lose your mind by doing something stupid. Rather, brace up your mind for activity and "keep your senses completely." (1 Peter 1:13)

We are well aware that some that regularly associate with us at meetings may seek to cause us "trouble with speeches" to subvert our faith and thereby "pervert the good news about the Christ," but we must also be on the watch for any "poisonous root" that might spring up and cause the kind of trouble in God's congregation that might defile and deprive others of God's undeserved kindness. (Acts 15:24; Galatians 1:7; Hebrews 12:15)

If the disfellowshipping policy bothers you or you or one of your own family members should become disfellowshipped for any reason, do not leave God's household; that would be a bad move. A better one is for you and yours to move to a different congregation, maybe a different circuit, but away from those whose imperfections could cause you to stumble right out of the truth due to your own imperfections, and start anew. I often show up at congregations where no one knows me to observe and you know what? Many of the friends don't say "Hello" to me unless I say "Hello" first, and so I could feel that they are shunning me, but I also know such behavior isn't so much personal as it is human nature for people that don't know you to do. If you've been disfellowshipped, break the ice by searching out the elders in that "different" congregation and let them know that you or your loved one that has been disfellowshipped seeks to be reinstated, but keep in mind that you or your disfellowshipped loved one is partly the reason for the disfellowshipment and the other part was the decision of the elders on the judicial committee that said "yes." Jehovah is still your God and he had no direct input in the decision that was made against you or your disfellowshipped loved one.

@The Quiet One wrote:

Djeggnogg said - "us, their parents -- to be morally wrong, you will still be disciplined in the same way that WE equally discipline all of OUR children without exception in the hope that you will learn that you must comply with OUR RULE"(capitals mine) - This illustration is an incoherent mess, it doesn't make sense [grammatically], and you refer to 'us' as being both the children and the parents, but I thought I'd just point out that the 'parents' (Governing body) seem to own the children in your little story, and they expect the children to submit to their rule.

Yes, my illustration was "an incoherent mess," and the necessary corrections are shown above in red, but the central body of elders to whom Jehovah's Witnesses refer as the "Governing Body" are not the "parents" in my illustration. We are all of us brothers, but the Lord Jesus Christ as the head of the Christian congregation is the one appointed by Jehovah God as the head of God's household, the parent of all those exercising faith in his name, that is to say, of all those that are putting faith in Jesus' ransom. The fact that Jesus, in turn, has appointed his spiritual brothers here on earth that he called "the faithful and discreet slave" over all of his "domestics" (Matthew 24:45-47) does not transform the Governing Body that represents the "slave" as anyone's parents, for they remain slaves of God and of Christ, even as Jesus' "other sheep" are slaves of God and of Christ as well.

Whose flock is it that the GB are meant to be [shepherding]?

The flock of God. (Acts 20:28)

And would Jesus leave his children with people that change the rules as they go, even changing the severity of punishment and/or whether the action is punishable, who even kick out of the home and spiritually place the death sentence on any child that dares to say they are being treated unfairly and inconsistently?

Yes, he would, and Jesus did, in fact, leave to the "slave" the autonomy necessary for it to accomplish the commission it was given to make disciples of people of all nations, which it has been doing since 33 AD. You mention a "death sentence," but there is nothing in my illustration akin to any such sentence being imposed on anyone. You might have decided to view disfellowshipping as being on a par with a sentence and execution imposed on the errant Christian, but this makes no sense in view of the fact that any repentant Christian that has been disfellowshipped will be reinstated, which would not be the case if disfellowshipment meant death by execution as you have here likened such to be.

For instance, to go along with part of your example, a child who stole a chicken leg from the freezer and was disciplined (based on a rule regarding not stealing chicken from the freezer), is upset when another child a short time later is allowed to take a chicken leg because the parents have now 'realised' that the leg doesn't represent the whole chicken, and so the rule of not stealing chickens doesn't apply here. Just two of the flaws in your illustration in relation to reality..

I believe in a perfect world that the rules ought to be applied by the local elders equally to everyone, but even if there should be flaws in my illustration, there are definitely flawed men in the congregation that are administering such discipline in the local congregation in view of the fact that we do not live in a perfect world and the elders meting it out are themselves imperfect men. This being the case, I have knowledge of cases where the vote to disfellowship was arguably for extraneous humans having nothing at all to do with the offense that the elders had been empaneled as a judicial committee to handle, and some of the appealed cases have led to reversal of the decision to disfellowship, whereas not everyone that is disfellowshipped will request an appeal of the disfellowshipment decision. Maybe you didn't know this and thought that an appeal was automatic, but of the judicial committee should not receive a letter appealing the decision to disfellowship within seven days from the time the wrongdoer receives notification thereof, the decision is final seven days after the notification date.

Dj said- "your rebellion against our authority as your parents" - Whose authority are Christians under?

I've already pointed out that the central body of elders to whom Jehovah's Witnesses refer as the "Governing Body" are not the "parents" in my illustration, but just as Jesus Christ is the head of the congregation in subjection to Jehovah God, the Christian congregation is in subjection to the Christ, who has by means of holy spirit appointed the "slave," represented by the Governing Body, over his "domestics" and over the rest of the Christian household to take the lead, in that Jesus has given these men as "gifts" to the Christian congregation, some of these "gifts" being "shepherds and teachers," scripturally-qualified men appointed by the Governing Body to serve in the local congregation as a body of elders to whom Christians are directed to "be submissive." (Ephesians 4:7, 8, 11-13; Hebrews 13:17)

And if Jesus has given the GB/elders at the local level such authority, where is the proof?

I've cited several scriptures above as proof that the local elders, even the central body of elders, were appointed by holy spirit, so that their authority to preside and "take care of God's congregation" (1 Timothy 3:5) is based on the spiritual qualifications that the holy spirit has clearly laid out for those serving as overseers and ministerial servants in the congregation. (1 Timothy 3:1-10, 12, 13). Let me rephrase this: Elders are duly appointed to serve in the local congregation by means of holy spirit, and the scriptural proof of this can be found by reading 1 Timothy 3:1-10, 12, 13, for it is only by examining the things we read in the Bible as to the qualifications that elders must meet that we can prove to ourselves that the holy spirit itself has appointed such men as overseers in the congregation, for it is through the Scriptures that the holy spirit speaks. If you did not understand (until now!) that the holy spirit speaks through the Scriptures, I trust you can appreciate that the holy spirit is what gives substance to the elder arrangement in the Christian congregation, but if you should reject what I have here explained to you and would rather balk over what things I have said here, this is, of course, your choice to make.

There is plenty of evidence of lack of divine backing.

I believe the Bible provides sufficient evidence that the elder arrangement in the Christian congregation has God's backing, but you are free to disagree with me.

Dj said- '' leave this stuff alone, for we have a central body of elders -- we refer to them as our"Governing Body" -- to whom we look to resolve such matters'' - Really.. So jw's look to the GB to resolve matters?

Yes.

How about Jehovah, shouldn't he be at least consulted?

What need is there to "consult" Jehovah when he, the author of the Bible, gave it to us so that we might get to know things about him, even form a relationship with him, get to know him, become his friend. Of course, you must already know that he is the author of the Bible, but what you should take to heart is that it was by means of his holy spirit that the Bible was, in fact, written. We are "consulting" Jehovah when we read and study his word. We form a relationship with him when we pray to him through Jesus Christ, since God is holy, and we can never approach Jehovah in prayer, except through Jesus, since Jesus is not only the one that died for us, but Jesus is also the one that pleads for us when we pray to Jehovah, provided we are convinced that he will do exactly what he has promised to do, for our faith is counted to us as righteousness. (Romans 4:21-24; 8:34)

I am often amazed by the statements made here by some here on JWN that were once Jehovah's Witnesses, who never seemed to have learned during their stint with us that their prayers must be directed to Jehovah God, but according to his will, and by this I don't just mean as to the things for which we might ask him, but as to our manner of approaching him, for our "Amen" to God must be said through Jesus, else Jehovah will not and does not hear our prayers. (2 Corinthians 1:20; 1 John 5:14)

Once @sizemik ridiculed God here as being either impotent or as being non-existent, one, when he wrote the following (in a different thread):

It also doesn't answer why we have Earthquakes, Tsunamis, hurricanes, tornadoes, volcanoes, forest fires, landslides, floods, epidemics, diseases, birth defects etc. These events have existed long before man can be accused of having a direct effect on climate etc . . . and are a natural consequence of the way life is configured.

Jehovah promised: "I am making all things new." (Revelation 21:5) He never promised that he was going to prevent the occurrence of earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, tornados, volcanos, forest fires, landslides, floods, epidemics, diseases, birth defects, etc., and it is a lie for him to have described these things as being "a natural consequence of the way life is configured," for, in the beginning, everything that Jehovah made was perfect. These things he mentioned are the consequence of the tremendous weight of the waters of the global deluge that beset planet earth back in 2370 BC and sin's entrance into the world so that Jehovah only directed his watch care to his people in one portion of the Middle East.

Now Jehovah may send angelic help wherever it is needed in the world to accomplish his purpose in connection with the everlasting good news that is currently being preached in the world, but Jesus himself predicted that things like the ones @sizemik mentioned would be occurring during the conclusion of this system of things in which we are now living, and as for the birth defects and the diseases that plague mankind, these things will continue until "the former things have passed away." (Revelation 21:4)

Again, life as we know it to be was not originally configured the way it is today and the way it has been since the founding of the world, but when sin came on the scene, he decreed not only appointed times, but set boundaries for man, allowing all but one nation to live their entire existence in ignorance of his will, that is, until now, for the appointed time arrived when he began to tell men everywhere to repent by pursuing the righteousness that comes through exercising faith in Christ, for the day is fast approaching when Jehovah will have his son judge the earth by the Christian standard. (Acts 17:26, 30, 31)

I find this sentence very revealing as to who jw's today really put their trust in. ''Maybe one wishes to put a little more zing in their life by assuming the risks associated with having sexual relations with someone to whom they are not married'' - What is wrong with you? Are you obsessed with sex? There's a pattern developing.. This part of the reply of yours has nothing to do with the question, which was about the generation doctrine and its changes.

I'm obsessed with former "brothers" and "sisters" leaving God's organization after being disfellowshipped and feeling extremely guilty, even suicidal, after they have affected their quality of life through their immoral antics with a brother or a sister or with others, which have impacted their fleshly organisms in a way that has forever changed their lives into one involving taking pills every day due to one act of disobedience that led to their being disfellowshipped, and they are so guiltridden -- some of them after their hospitalization and incarceration has become known due to drug abuse or tax evasion or larceny or whatever on their part -- that they don't return so that they might be reinstated. The apostle Peter betrayed Jesus, and yet he came back. No matter the reason that one is disfellowshipped, they can and should come back and seek reinstatement. I'm obsessed over folks that know they ought to repent, that keep touching the unclean thing and won't repent.

Why can you not answer the question in a clear, concise and direct way, rather than avoid it? You still haven't replied to my last post in the 'spiritual paradise' thread, though, so I don't expect a reply to this.

I recall a thread started by @No Room For George entitled, "If the WT provides such a spiritual paradise, why are WT apologists so emotional about the discussions here?" but I believe I responded to the messages posted to it, except those messages that were attacking me. If I failed to respond to something you wrote in any other thread, I apologize. Please provide the Post Number of your message in this other thread here, and I will go back to that thread and read it, but I don't want to go off-topic discussing that other thread in this thread.

@djeggnog

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

What is more, what @jwfacts said here doesn't satisfy me at all. Like you, @jwfacts just wants to argue and I'm going to now let him do that with someone else.

lol - you just can't help yourself and had to have the last say.

@jwfacts wrote:

If the teaching of 1874 as the start of the second coming changed in 1930 (not 1943), then it had nothing to do with the change in the calculation of the 6000 years.

@djeggnog wrote:

Excuse me, but what on earth are you talking about here? I never said a thing about the teaching regarding Christ's "second coming" as having been changed from 1874, since Russell never taught that his second coming had occurred in 1874.

DJ, sorry to burst your bubble, but it is not all about you. That was additional information to what I added to TD's thread. Why are you so intent on hijacking?

You will make a great assistant to some unscrupulous lawyer that wants to provide copious amounts of text, so as to charge by the minute. But don't expect to get away with ad hominem attacks, strawman arguments and off topic rants in court.

How about coming back to the point of the thread, that the second coming was moved from 1874 to 1914. You incorrectly claim:

What might be "a persistent meme" floating about on internet websites as to movement regarding the date of Christ's Second Coming by 40 years may just be a misunderstanding on your part, for there has never been any "move" of the date Christ's Second Coming from 1874 to 1914.

This Watchtower quote claims otherwise.

"The Scriptural proof is that the period of his presence and the day of God's preparation is a period from 1874 A.D. forward. The second coming of the Lord, therefore, began in 1874; and that date and the years 1914 and 1918 are specially marked dates with reference to his coming. Prophecy can not be understood until it has been fulfilled or is in the course of fulfillment. From 1874 to 1914 the prophecy concerning the Lord's coming was being fulfilled and could be understood, and was understood, by those who were faithful to the Lord and who were watching the development of events, but not by others."? Creation 1927

Let's pretend you are in court. In light of the above statement, is it you that is incorrect or was the Watchtower wrong?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit