Why Won't They Carbon Date This?

by Perry 246 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bohm
    bohm

poopsiecakes: but this is one of many such observations that make one wonder."

I doubt he would like the things i wonder about right now

• Awen
    Awen

I apologize. I suppose I was unclear. In order to understand what is being said......You have to keep reading.

I understand how you might feel. I was a practicing Agnost/Atheist for quite some time and an avid fan of evolution. I understand the "distaste" some might feel for some of what is said. But if you can find it in yourself to get past those things, it's possible you may come to know some things that you didn't before.

Again, I don't expect anyone to jump up and down and say "OMGawd the Bible is TRUUUUUUU" No, not at all. I still have serious reservations about some things in the Bible as well.

However, just because I do not like the language that is used on a certain website (or the background imagery) doesn't mean I am close-minded when it comes to looking at another's viewpoint.

That's all I'm asking.

If you can do that, I'd be really grateful. I say this because as I have said already I still have some doubts about a few things and I was hoping some of you might be able to tell me what you think of this site, as far as it's science is concerned.

For myself, I don't put "faith" in a concept just because someone wrote a bestseller about it, or because they're well-recognized by the scientific community. I say this because in the past many people of great distinction were later proved wrong in their theories.

So I'm just looking for the opinion of the people here who have more experience in this area than myself, which is pretty much everyone to be honest.

Oh and Cantleave. I called you a JW because you insulted me first...quid pro quo. You assumed I know nothing about science because I used a word in a way unfamiliar to you. never assume. You know why.

Peace and Love,

Awen

• Awen
    Awen

Oh well. I will say I did try. I thought we might have an intellectual discussion but it's not to be.

I will remove myself from this thread.

Awen

• Awen
  • ziddina
    ziddina

That website started out with some of the most flagrantly inaccurate comments I've ever read.... And you want me to CONTINUE reading it???

Please tell me that you don't currently believe in a 'geocentric' universe...??? Or a "flat earth"...??? Or that there was LIGHT before there were the Sun, Moon and stars...

• bohm
    bohm

Awen: Obviously i am not impressed that when i point out obvious, gaping errors in his arguments you tell me to "keep reading" and not trust science.

Then you say you got no more to say.

Well...

i doubt you have a very easy time finding obvious error in any random wikipedia article on evolution or geology.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Flaming golden hawks!...this thread is great. Thought perhaps I got too much sun this afternoon...but no, it's real.

Thanks to Jaguar's link to that site, I've decided to start using multi-colored bars to show I'm educated, well-read and know what I'm talking about. They add a certain level of reverence that demands respect and awe. Bow before my multi-colored bars and my apparent intellect.

• shamus100
    shamus100

To think, there are ex-jw's that think because we don't believe what they believe we are jw's. Just about the saddest people on the planet, me thinks.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Awen, here is where we go awry with your link.

We compare the theory of evolution with the Bible’s creation account in easy-to-understand terms, using evidence from the fields of paleontology, geology, biology, and astronomy. We provide links and a bibliography for those who want to study both sides of the issue. We fully explain all the scientific terms on this page.

If irony isn't lost on you, then I hope you had a good chuckle. I sure did... Anyway, the first substantive statement after that is

How did humans (and everything else) come into existence? The only explanation you will find in public school and university textbooks is the theory of evolution. Yet, no scientific, provable evidence supporting the theory of evolution has emerged since Charles Darwin popularized it in 1859.

Bullshit. Moving on to the next point...

Since we can prove the Bible is true, it makes sense to find out what the Bible tells us about how life was first created and how we got here. After all, if God is really God, He was there at the time and would know how to tell us what happened. The Bible’s account of the beginning of life in Genesis chapters 1 and 2 can be understood by anyone.

The Bible is "true" in the same way that Lord of the Rings is true. There are thousands of competing interpretations of the bible in the Judeo/Christian world. Not even all members of your club agree on it's interpretation. So stop representing your belief as a foregone conclusion.

From there, the essay you chose represents the evolution/creation debate in very much the same terms as JW's did. (i.e. Science and the Bible agree in the order of how the universe began.) Really?

Oh, I see you believe in the Flood. That's a demerit right there. This is a great quote from that essay....

Notice in Genesis chapter 7, verses 11 and 12 that the rain is almost an afterthought. The first two sources of water for the flood mentioned were “the fountains of the great deep” and “the windows of heaven.” Science has discovered large underwater springs [2], so it is easy to imagine “fountains of the great deep” being opened by God, allowing the pressurized water to contribute to the flood.

First of all, and I want you to play real close attention to this: THERE IS NO FREAKING EVIDENCE OF A GLOBAL FLOOD AS IT IS DESCRIBED IN THE BIBLE! ZERO! NADA! (but I do agree, you all do find it easy to imagine a bunch of stuff)

Also, please note (if everyone can remember) that this explanation is exactly the way that JW's teach the flood.... I dont' know what that means either, but I bet you're smart enough to figure it out, if you wanted to.

See, you believe that god destroyed the earth once with water and saved that generations version of the Brady Bunch in a big wooden box that floats. Oh, and it was filled with lottery winners from a zoo.

Instead of arguing about evolution or any point, you put up a website with propaganda and no facts.

I know, I know. I am mocking you, I don't want to insult your intelligence on that. Because you sure as hell are insulting mine by posting that crap.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Welcome to the party, unshacklekins

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit