Question for the Athiests/Agnostics

by jwfacts 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Here's where I'm coming from at least...

All my life I was taught about the difference between TRUE and FALSE religion. My religion was TRUE ( but don't dare question it) and I was given many reasons other religions are FALSE (holidays of pagan origin, kill each other in wars etc...)

Then I figured out that MY RELIGION WAS FALSE!

So it's been pretty easy for me ( and from what I see from a lot of other born-in posters here) to shitcan the whole damned religion/god thing.

"Where will I go?"

As far as I can tell, I'M RIGHT HERE!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

"Where should you go? I don't have all the answers. Everyone has to take their own spiritual journey. What I can tell you is that in my examination for 'the truth,' I have been able to eliminate Jehovah's Witnesses. Let me show you what I have discovered."

There's no sense in clobbering them with everything at once- like how I eliminated anything based on the man-made Bible or all the monotheistic man-made religions. That's their job.

I will discuss such stuff with open-minded people that want to discuss such stuff, but I don't go around telling Christians (be they ex-JW's or Catholics or whatever) how the Bible is mythology. It's different here on JWN where people post controversial stuff basically begging for debate.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Talesin - I wasn't missing your point, I had not even read it. You posted it whilst I was writing a response to others.

Volunteering is great, but how does that satisfy the doctrinal need that a JW has? JWs are indoctrinated to think discussing doctrine is important, understanding prophetic interpretation is part of the requirement for salvation, as is preaching about the kingdom. How can a JW be convinced that doctrine is not that important.

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

People have varying levels of intelligence and competence. The fact that this is so means that most people will stay with the religion of their birth unless that had very little in the way of a supportive social network around it. In the case of the latter these may find a group which they feel to be supportive. All this has very little to do with a search for the truth.

When people ask "Where would we go?" they aren't asking "Where is truth?", but instead they're asking "Where can I find the supportive environment I've come to be accustomed to?"

For these, if you're not a needy sort of person, and you have the ability to tolerate ambiguity and you also have a desire to try to know as much of the truth about the world we've come to find ourselves living in, then the answer is simple - head to your local library and begin to study all manner of history and science. Become a more knowledgeable and competent individual. Deconstruct your own life and experience forensically.

Do you want to know who and what you are?

If you do, you have to persist.

“Keep on asking, and it will be given YOU ; keep on seeking, and YOU will find; keep on knocking, and it will be opened to YOU ." - Mt 7:7

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

When people ask "Where would we go?" they aren't asking "Where is truth?", but instead they're asking "Where can I find the supportive environment I've come to be accustomed to?"

GB - Great quote.

It seems a few comments indicate that once a person becomes disenchanted with the Watchtower, which will happen with some research, they will come to a realisation and acceptance over time that they do not need another group.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

GUBBERINGBODY - Deconstruct your own life and experience forensically. This is brilliant way of putting it, but it is also what separates the 'true believer' from the skeptic/atheist/agnostic.

• unshackled
    unshackled
    and they need the social aspects of Church attendance

The social environment of their previous church does not need to be filled with another church. Humans are social beings that have a need for community, but there are many forms of a social environments besides organized religion. So that need can be filled without another church.

So, to answer the OP, I wouldn't suggest another church. If pressed however to suggest another form of Christian faith, it would be something along the lines of some of our posters here on JWN, such as PSacramento and Tec.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

What are some of the social groups that others here have joined?

• designs
    designs

If they asked me where to go I tell them:

Doctors Without Borders

United Way or their Local food Bank

Community Service organizations

Meals On Wheels

Sierra Club

Surfrider International

The List can go on and meet any interest they may have in helping this earth and our children.

• shepherd
    shepherd

The question 'where else is there to go?' has different meanings for different people. Some mean 'what is the true religion?', some mean 'where can I find new friends?' so before anwering it's important to know what the questioner means. In answer to 'which one is the true religion?' it is equally important to consider if there is such a thing in the first place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit