The effect we are having on the Watchtower is HUGE

by jwfacts 140 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

The hope that the internet will stifle JW growth is understandable but perhaps on the vain side. We risk crediting the average JW with an interest in investigating their quite self-servingly ridiculous beliefs. Besides, don't brain cells need to be active for people to log on?

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

The effect we are having on the Watchtower isn't HUGE............Its' ENORMOURS!

Thank you for the facts jwfacts. Good work.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

The fault of a glass of wine...........Its' ENORMOUS!

• sir82
    sir82
    We risk crediting the average JW with an interest in investigating their quite self-servingly ridiculous beliefs.

I don't think the internet causes current adult JWs to leave, unless they already have one foot out the door.

The true effect of the internet is on (a) kids born into JW families and (b) potential new recruits.

Regarding the kids, today's teens have never lived in a Google-less world. It's almost a certainty that every JW kid between the ages of 10 & 18 has already been exposed to numerous "apostate" ideas & concepts. Historically, 2/3 of JW kids left "the truth" - expect that ratio to go to 4/5, 9/10, or even higher.

Regarding potential new recruits, outside of the rurals of 3rd world countries, the internet is available virtually anywhere. The concept of "interested in someone / something? Google it" is catching on everywhere. JWs are ill-equipped - make that utterly non-equipped - to refute even the most basic of "apostate" arguments. Recruiting will get harder and harder.

What the graphs way back on page 1 show are just the beginning. JW growth will continue in the 2 to 3% per year range as long as the world's economy struggles and political unrest is common. People are willing to ignore common sense in order to look for comfort & security, and a promise of "life in a peaceful new world - SOON!" is appealing.

When the economic recovery comes, the (a) and (b) effects will be quite apparent. I would not be surprised to see stagnation or even contraction of the JW numbers then.

JWs and the WT Society aren't going to "crumble" or "be destroyed". But in 2 or 3 more (non overlapping) generations, they will be far far more irrelevant than they are now.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

great graph JW facts, notice the JW apologists always remain quiet on threads like this! simple fact is nothing is happening in the very most sparsely JW populated nations, India and China a population closing to over 2.5 billion and mere handfuls of activity there, all the Islamic nations are either under ban and will never see JW inroads in anyone's lifetimes which also have populations of billion plus, the only growth remains South and Central America and the Tip Pot 3rd World countries of Africa, not much to boast about IMHO.

• wobble
    wobble

A long time Uber-Witness Elder said to me "It makes no difference to my faith if the figures go down", they have an excuse for every eventuality.

But it does us a power of good to see that these days fewer are being sucked in to the cult, and as the Internet becomes available everywhere, they will have a hell of a job making converts. Good.

• jgnat
    jgnat

That wavering line from the mid-nineties got me thinking about the influence of the internet.

• Job candidates check out the website of a potential employer.
    • Dates check out facebook, sometimes BEFORE the date.
    • Employers check out the web presence of potential employees.

The internet, at least in the first world, has wormed it's way in to our relationships and interactions. The inflluence of the internet will only grow. Compounded with this, the WTBTS takes an "old school" approach to the internet, providing a passive site with content, and forbidding local congregations from setting up their own sites. Ditto with discussion boards.

I'm moving to a new community soon, and the first thing I did was check out the local churches. They all have their own websites, except for, of course, the Kingdom Hall.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I don't think the internet causes current adult JWs to leave, unless they already have one foot out the door.

The true effect of the internet is on (a) kids born into JW families and (b) potential new recruits.

I think the internet is Step #2.

First step is something has to happen to stir up doubts or questions (tho some hardliners will never question God's Org), then once they start Googling -- OMG

• shamus100
    shamus100

It's nothing to do with us. The truth is out there for anyone who wishes to use their brain.

If it wasn't this message board, it would have been another, or another website, or whatever...

But that graph is really REALLY good, jwfacts.

• jgnat
    jgnat

It was a talk from the platform that twigged me on to Facebook. He mentioned it by name so I hustled home and found out what it was all about. I figure every time they talk about the "dangers of the internet", they encourage a few more curious monkeys to go look for themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit