The effect we are having on the Watchtower is HUGE

by jwfacts 140 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Diest
    Diest

@WTWizzard I know it is an old post, but I can assure you that the Nigerians have internet....How do I know? My email inbox lol....

• truthlover
    truthlover

In my part of the world no young ones are stepping up - most of the 5 congs in the area have older men as elders - most cong only have 3 if lucky ..some young ones as MS - thats it.. stagnant numbers -- none coming in from the local areas. Only new ones are families moving in and out of congs..

• punkofnice
  • MrDarkKnight
    MrDarkKnight

I served as elder in a NYC congregation. We easily had 30-40 young people during the time I was there. As of this moment only 5 are are still in organization.

• JamesWHudson
    JamesWHudson

Great!

• Joepublisher1
    Joepublisher1

Boy, these numbers are VERY revealing - Paul Grundy is one of my heros (and his website JWFACTS is just plain awesome, just as FREEMINDS is). I have to say that the 1995 change to the generation teaching was a big blow to me. I held thoughts of severe disappointment to myself for a long time. No one else seemed to be as bothered as I was though, so I continued to be a JW, but the wind was drastically reduced from my spiritual sails. And, as someone else mentioned, this was the same year that they changed their understanding of the sheep and the goats - that too only added to my decline in this religious cult.

For the last several years, I noticed that I was NOT alone in my disappointment about the 1995 generation change. However, I didn't find this out until I read about other's feelings on this matter ON THE INTERNET! So, the internet allows JWs to share their thoughts with people all over the world! I now felt justified that I was not the only one to be very disappointed about this long-held teaching of the Governing Body. I mean I REALLY BELIEVED that the generation of 1914 would not die off the earthly scene before "the end" comes. AND, I adjusted my entire life around that belief! If you recall, the Watchtower - at that time in 1995 - said that we should not understand this change to mean that the end isn't far off. Well, we all know now, that was a lie.

Whenever the Governing Body went on to change the generation two more times - I had had enough! And, I think many JWs - even if they are still attending meetings - has lost their urgency and have become very suspicious of the Governing Body. I can tell that many of them are looking on the internet and learning more things about their own religion that they never knew. Undestandably, their faith is on the wane. I believe MANY more will leave this religion once they realize that they are not who they say they are ("the faithful and discreet slave').

Is it any wonder why the Governing Body doesn't want its members searching on the internet about "Jehovah's Witnesses"?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Joepublisher1 - I have to say that the 1995 change to the generation teaching was a big blow to me. I held thoughts of severe disappointment to myself for a long time. No one else seemed to be as bothered as I was though, so I continued to be a JW, but the wind was drastically reduced from my spiritual sails.

Thanks for your comments JP1. I felt exactly that way about the change in 1995. I hung on for years after, but it really proved that the GB did not believe the end was going to be any time soon.

"Social Proof" is very important in influencing behaviour. Associating in a global brotherhood is social proof for a JW that they are right. Making converts reinforces that. Fear of the reprocussions of expressing doubts prevents people in congregations identify that others are struggling with the same issues. However, the internet works in the same way, in that it provides the Social Proof that your doubts are valid and shared globally. It is not just the facts uncovered on the Internet, but this social validation that the internet provides that is giving it such power.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Ok, I'm sorry, but if you start with 1 grain of rice on square one, and double it to 2 on the second, ... , by the last (64 th ) square there will NOT be 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 grains of rice. There will be a big mess!

Actually, it's more likely you'll never get the rice to fit on any given square by about the 7th or 8th one!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

TFPILC, Daniel

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Last year my sister decided to shun her son David. He died from a broken heart in less than two months. Thursday night his brother Chris and wife Beverly disassociated themselves. The announcement was read and he was brave enough to be there. Part of his waking up came from joining this forum and JwR.

• Violia
    Violia

FHN

I am so glad to see something good came from David's tragic death.

You must be so relieved.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit