Hi Everyone. Answer to prayer countdown...

by Stumpy 205 Replies latest jw friends

• Stumpy
    Stumpy

Thank you for your kind words everyone.

Cofty

Yeah that's a stumper for any elder. Especially if said calmly and with conviction. What can they possibly say to that?

Half Banana

Thanks mate. Sorry to hear about the high price you had to pay

it did seem to initially offer a convincing and a totally embracing solution to all of life's problems

Yeah, until you discover they're all fantasy.

what a relief to be free from this JW collective paranoia and to be free to enjoy the ups and downs of a natural life determined by our own conscience and personal choices.

No kidding.

Bonsai

I loved your post. It has made my day and it also made me cry. It might very well be the best post I have read since coming to this forum. Very powerful stuff. I can relate to so much of your story.

Awww, thank you and sorry for making you cry. Obviously it hit close to home So many of us are in this horrible, horrible situation. It almost felt surreal writing it. They claim to be the most loving people on earth... they sure don't live up to it do they. Hugs from us to you both.

Stuckinanrut

Hey mate! Got your pm and just replied. Looking forward to catching up

MrQuik

I think you Aussies are going to be the first country where everyone leaves the cult.

We can only hope. There are definitely a lot here questioning things and slowing down. It will be very interesting to see what happens when the Royal Commission wraps up.

Jaydee

You're welcome mate. You have a pm.

FayDunaway

Your close friends who also had doubts who were the first to shun you...it's because they're scared. They don't want to lose their families and everything they've ever known. They are still trying to make it work for themselves, and the fact they shared doubts with you makes them feel insecure.

You hit the nail on the head. In fact not one of them have come after me, I'm sure they're terrified of what I know about them. It actually helped our escape be much easier. Still annoys me that they can be so disingenuous. These were good, decent honest elders that would do anything for you. I don't know how they sleep at night and get up and spew things from the stage they don't agree with. I just couldn't do it and live with myself.

Yes we're going to make sure our nephew and nieces never have to deal with this cult like we did. Their grandparents try but they get shot down very quickly.

Giordano

Did you fade or did you have to DA?

We tried to quietly fade for my parents but they just wouldn't let us. We aren't DF'd or DA'd. When I stepped aside as an elder we looked for a congregation an hour or so away to move our cards to. There was a suburb that was growing very fast with new construction so we went to the Sunday meeting. When we got there the hall was full and not one person came up to say hi to us. We left after the talk and the coordinator came out to greet us in the car park. He hesitantly asked if we were planning on moving in. Apparently the cong was growing way too fast and there wasn't enough elders. He was trying to talk us out of coming by saying it wasn't a very friendly or social cong. We thanked him for being honest with us and left. When we got into the car we both smiled at each other and said this is where we're sending our cards! So they were sent there a few days later and we told the new coordinator we were on holidays for 2 weeks. Once we knew they had our cards I texted the coordinator and told him we had to head overseas for a family emergency. After 6 weeks I texted again from an overseas number and told him we were going to stay, that our new secretary would be in touch to get our cards sent over soon. And that was it. We haven't heard from an elder since. CO emailed but I just ignored him.

Magnum

Good to hear from you mate. How are things going for you. I know we have very similar stories. Hope you guys are coping ok. Hugs from us.

Billy

I think it should be published in the Yearbook.

If we all had our waking up and getting free stories in a book I'd definitely read it.

Lisa Rose

I know this is tragic, am I am sure it was horrible at the time, but this just kind of made me laugh, your parents are very, very strange. It would almost be impossible for someone who is not a JW to believe people actually act this way

It is kind of funny to us too when we think back. Definitely wasn't at the time though. It was very emotional and devastating for her and I acknowledge that. She seriously feels like she will be all alone in the new system and that has crushed her. We were her last hope, thinking that she could at least be a good grandma to all of our kids in paradise, when she realized that was now gone too, she had a melt down. I'm not sure if my parents are any stranger than most other JW parents, maybe they are, but I've seen and heard of lots of other JW parents acting the same and worse in similar circumstances. For non-JWs yes all JW parents are incomprehensible, especially the way they act if forced to choose between their kids and the GB.

NeverKnew, Cyberjesus and Anders

Thanks guys

• Becksi
    Becksi

Loved reading your update, Stumpy.

Can you say where you are in Australia? We're in Queensland. Drop me a PM if you don't want to write it here.

Cheers!

Becksi

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

This is one of the best life accounts ever!

• PorkyFree
    PorkyFree

Hi Stumpy,

Your lengthy comments mirror our own experiences in so many ways.

The shunning and head in sand attitudes are global.

The hypocrisy is overwhelmingly obvious.

You have my respect and also should know that you are one of many who see this cult for what it is.

Go well, enjoy that house reno, and I will have a beer with you one day!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Bumping this thread for a new generation of forum members!

Especially, check out page 14 of this thread for all his great research!

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

Hey, this is a great thread. It helped wake me up more. I still have copies of his info on my hard drive.

• Stumpy
    Stumpy

Hi all. Wow it's been a while since I've been here. I got notified that my thread was back up and thought I'd say hi. I can't believe it's been over 2 years since we have left. It feels like a lifetime ago. No issues with anyone chasing us down to DF us. Our fade was completely successful. We have moved on with our lives and from religion. We are the same, yet very different people now. It's amazing to be free from the handcuffs the JW religion chains you with.

The hardship you must endure when you first leave is worth the life you get to have later on. The first year was the toughest. It was quite lonely at times. It's a weird feeling having hundreds of "friends" one day and none the next. Losing family is especially hard. We're both very happy now. We have made some really great friends. Friends we can have differences of opinion with and not be ostracised for. We actually trust these "worldly" friends more than any we had in the cult.

My parents and other family members haven't been in touch which is what I expected. Sad, but what can you do. They're the ones missing out. The rest of the "worldly" family have accepted us with open arms and it's been great to reconnect with them.

We don't consider ourselves ex-jws anymore. Just 2 people that happened to grow up in a cult, woke up and left. We very rarely talk about it anymore. Just passing comments from time to time.

I hope everyone here is doing ok. I know how hard it can be... but it does get better. Yes you have to leave a lot behind (family, friends etc.) but you also get to replace them with whoever you choose. We have upgraded and wouldn't go back.

Cheers - Stumpy

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Stumpy, great news and awesome to hear from you!

Wish you two the happiest possible life. Well done.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Great to hear from you STUMPY.

I'll never forget the picture you posted of your multi-colored "research library."

We are the same, yet very different people now. . . . We don't consider ourselves ex-jws anymore. Just 2 people that happened to grow up in a cult, woke up and left. We very rarely talk about it anymore. Just passing comments from time to time.

It doesn't get any better than that!

• freddo
    freddo

Well done Stumpy and Mrs. Stumpy. Well done!

Stay a while please your experience is most encouraging.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit