"Overlapping generation" explanation - TRANSCRIBED EXTRACT from Friday's talk (DC 2011-12)

by AnnOMaly 149 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Already 8 generations passed since 1914. Even if they overlapped, they would still be wrong. The biblical generation is ~70 years. 2 overlapping generations are 140 years. However they have to be anointed so this doesn't happen until they're at least not children anymore so I would say 21?

(2 * 70) - (2 * 21) + (-607 + 2520 + 1) = 2012.

Armageddon is coming in 2012. Witnesses jump on the Mayan Calendar bandwagon and prove it's correctness using cherry-picked and mistranslated bible verses.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This is off-topic. Can someone post an outline so I can see what they looked like? I'm curious as to how much variation can occur.

What would happen if the Witnesses ditched 1914 and a literal 144,000? My hunch is that followers would simply acknowledge new light and never look back.

I am curious as to how seriously others view 1914 as the core doctrine. When I read that the Witnesses are millenialist I suppose they can't dump it. I'd love to have a candid talk with the people who come up these new light ideas, how they are adopted as official, and how they are marketed. A consensus must be necessary. The Pope doesn't see himself as a direct conduit of God as much as the GB does. I don't know.

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

According to WT, Babylon means confussion...OK?

The only confussing "religion" in this modern world is WT, with multiple dates, 1874,1878,1914,1918,1925,1975, before 2000, and doctrines that you have to take strong drugs to understand them, or accept them...

• Violia
    Violia

Blast, if that guy is 55, they can bleed another 25 yrs out of the r/f . 55+25=80. a generation is 70 or 80 yrs. Or they could go for the 100 mark. I know at least my actual family will never go back and we are free but so many are left behind. My father told me when I was in my teens this was just a "hope', just like going to heaven is a hope. I wish I had listened to him. Now I know what he was trying to do- get me out of a cult.

I made it dad.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I don't see a time slot in the program for questions for the speaker.

Did I miss something?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This is beyond ridiculous. Whoever is producing this stuff seriously has a screw loose. Not even Fred Franz would have come up with something so farfetched.

• Vachi 8 He Is
    Vachi 8 He Is

Comments? Yeah I got one: Bull.......s--t!

• dozy
    dozy

They just seem to be making this one up as they go along , on the hoof. My advice would be for the GB to avoid repicking at this scab. They've bought themselves a few more years - great. Now shut up & move on.

The reality is that most JWs couldn't be bothered. I recently spoke to a long standing JW who has been an elder for years who thought that the generation still referred to wicked ones and wasn't aware of any new light. Franz quoted an old GB member who said that their policy when a doctrine had lapsed was just to stop talking about it & the brothers quickly forgot. Wise advice that the current GB would do well to follow.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

@Mary = God damn it......how many times do I have to tell you not to actually read the bible without a Wash-towel or Asleep magazine to back it all up?! Otherwise people get confuuuuused and may not discern the present truths in there.....

Darn! What was I thinking? JW's and ACTUAL Bible study? (Slaps self on wrist)

• punkofnice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit