"Overlapping generation" explanation - TRANSCRIBED EXTRACT from Friday's talk (DC 2011-12)

by AnnOMaly 149 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Geoff Jackson is not 55, he is 61. Try at least to get that one correct.

• cantleave
    cantleave

He was born in 1955!!!!

Making him in his 56th year. Maths is easy to do when you know how.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Hi VM44.

The 'eye-witness testimony' refers to the interviews with old-timers - basically reminiscing on how good the good ol' days were and how terrible today's world is.

I didn't pay much attention to the interviews (and I couldn't be bothered listening to the whole talk - I was only interested in the 'overlapping' part), but I remember one old dear saying something like 'unwanted babies were hardly ever left on doorsteps back then, but now they're being abandoned all the time.' Don't quote me - you'll need to listen to properly get what she said and in context - but it did make me go 'Huh??? How do you figure that?'

Btw, the 'interview' section immediately precedes the 'overlapping' section.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

rbs, WELCOME!

How about the anointed that have been around scince the first century!... How can that generation of annointed OVERLAP with the anointed today?.....seems like 3 generations..to me...help

It's specifically the '1914 generation' - those who were spirit-anointed and saw the sign of Christ's presence (allegedly). The overlap is supposed to be between the 'saw-the-sign-at-the-beginning' group and the 'will-see-the-end-of-the-system' group - 2 groups.

• VM44
    VM44

What The Watchtower simply has done is CHANGE the meaning of the word "generation" to something that will fit their DOCTRINES.

There is a saying,

"Upon these conclusions we base these facts."

that applies to The Watchtower changing the meaning of a word.

• therevealer
    therevealer

So how do we know that the kingdom is coming soon? Is it just a feeling that we have? No, not at all. We've reviewed multiple lines of Scriptural evidence, we've taken eye-witness testimony

Okay then. They have taken eye=witness testimony. That almost implies that there is tangible proof that can be literally seen. Not just signs. Not just similarities with now and what the bible says. But tangible evidence and proof that has been witnessed to by some who have been willing to share and give testimony. Yikes, now I am getting anxious.

• doubtful
    doubtful

I haven't finished listening to the sound file yet, but so far three observations that really stick out:

1. The speaker oh so conveniently extrapolates tsunamis, earthquakes, and tornados (the tornados because they are fresh in people's memory and garner more of an emotional response) as fulfillments of the prophecy of the 4 horsemen of the apocolypse, in quintessential Watchtower fashion. Where in the hell is the connection between natural disasters and the horseman of Death in Revelation??? The scripture talks about death resulting from famine, war, and plague. There is not even the faintest suggestion within the scripture to indicate that it might refer to natural disasters. They're really grasping at straws here.

2. The first geriatric interviewee says that he thought the days of his youth were the last days, as if he were making a contrary-to-fact claim. The Watchtower still teaches that all years since 1914 comprise the "last days". Therefore, he unwittingly refuted Watchtower doctrine in front of thousands of attentive JW drones. His testimony was an actual admission to the fact that what he thought were the last days have since been found to have not really been the last days afterall! Shortly after this, the speaker tried to interject with another question, almost as if he were trying to redirect attention from the interviewee's comment.

3. The second interviewee (the woman), commented that such terrible things were never seen in her generation. She clearly makes a distinction between the generation to which she belonged, and the generation of today. It's those pesky rules of semantics weaseling their way even into district convention interview parts! If only the rules of the English language didn't get in the way of the Governing Body's spirit-directed doctrine.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "So if someone is 80 years old, and they've been serving this organization for 40, 50, 60 years of their life in expectation that the end is right around the corner, and now they've been told they've got another 45 to 50 years to go depending on how young the youngest of this generation's contemporaries is.........wow that just hurts. That's a low blow man. ..."

Yeah, but they don't care about the old-timers.... Their age and generally feeble conditions means they pose no real threat.

[Although, just between you and me, I hope there are more than a few old-timers who take the young ones out in service and 'counsel' them discreetly not to waste their lives, the way that the old-timers' lives have been wasted...]

On the other hand, the Governing Body is apparently counting on this line to bamboozle the young ones into expending their youth and energy for the next 30 - 40 years, again, using it as a boogeyman to threaten "Armageddon" 'just around the corner' ....

Eternally, just around the corner....

Zid

• dogon
    dogon

total bull shit start to finsh. They are trying to double talk their way out of the bull shit they got them self into with this end of the world stuff. Fuck em, Fuck em all in the ass.

• free @ last
    free @ last

dogon you are spot on.

Fuck em, Fuck em all in the ass

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit