"Overlapping generation" explanation - TRANSCRIBED EXTRACT from Friday's talk (DC 2011-12)

by AnnOMaly 149 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The psychology is both blatant and subtle. Check out this little bit here:

But there's still a third line of evidence. That's the development among God's people themselves.

Why use that specific phrase? Why not say, "There's still a third line of evidence. That is what is happening with the anointed," instead? Because "God's people" is a loaded phrase sprinkled throughout BorgLit and BorgSpeak talks. "God's people" is filled with extra meaning.

God's people: Jehovah's Witnesses who obey the Watchtower Society unquestioningly and believe the Watchtower Society undoubtingly and who must do so in order to avoid losing all our friends and family in this system as well as to avoid being killed in our loving God's upcoming genocide.

Prefacing an explanation of ANYthing with this phrase tells the audience: what follows is about YOU and YOU must believe it and obey it; you must not analyze it for accuracy or precision or correctness; it is the truth; it is your truth; if you entertain any conflicting ideas, purge them or risk death; if anyone tries to teach you anything contrary to this, or even questions or doubts this in any way, that person is a danger to your life and should be treated as a poisonous snake.

What comes after the phrase is unimportant because the loaded language has done its work on the mind of the listener/reader already. Only somone willing to buck that programming can see through the BS of the explanation. "Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious."

All "theocratic" language is loaded like this. We are all damned lucky we managed to get out at all.

• life is to short
    life is to short

All I can say is .

Just reading it, it was hard to follow, much less listening to it. If I went to the assembly I am sure this talk would have been one that I would have fallen asleep at, it is just to hard to understand their thinking.

Thanks for posting this AnnOMaly.

I am with OTWO that it made me think of the June 1969 Awake that said "if you are a young person, you all need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things." I have a copy of that Awake right in front of me now.

I was a five year old listening to that spew, no wonder I was so screwed up with my thinking being spoon fed this from the cradle. I just do not get how adults can keep buying into this though.

LITS

• cantleave
    cantleave

Donny - nice call!

• life is to short
    life is to short

Mad Sweeny you are right it is loaded language they use. It is what keep me in.

LITS

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

Did anybody read Rev 6:9-11? No surprise, but it doesn't seem to say at all what they claim it does.

When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. 10 They called out in a loud voice, “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?” 11 Then each of them was given a white robe, and they were told to wait a little longer, until the full number of their fellow servants, their brothers and sisters, [a] were killed just as they had been.

So....this second generation is going to be alive....but killed? They said that this group is two groups the annointed in heaven and those still on earth...so...the annointed need to wait until their brothers and sisters on earth are killed before armaggeddon comes..but they will be alive to see it on earth? What the hell are they talking about? This is a stretch even for them.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    we've taken eye-witness testimony, all leading to the same conclusion: we are deep into the end of this system.

Eye witness testimony?..Of What?..

How stupid the WBT$ expects people to be?..

Overlapping Generations and Toes on Imaginary Statues,Prove the End is near?..

I am so grateful to be away from all that WBT$ Stupidity..

..................;-)...OUTLAW

• snakeface
    snakeface

So now the "generation" consists of Group 1 and Group 2".

At next year's convention, the new light will be that there is a Group 3, and for 2013's convention there will be Group 4...Group 5...maybe there will be 144,000 "groups" of groups of discerners, basking in the light, pawing the ground like fattened calves.....

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Good call, JonathanH.

But you're THINKING. That's a no-no for a faithful Borgite publisher.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Donny

Up until around 1943 they were in the belief that Jesus returned in 1874. How could they discern his presence in 1914 when he had already been around for 40 years?

LOL, good point.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Good comments, everyone.

As I said on the other thread (the one with the MP3 links), I needed to listen to the speaker's explanation again because it was so screwy, I had to be sure I wasn't misunderstanding anything. And then I thought, what the heck - it needs to be written down to be able to digest it more thoroughly.

I think I read too much into his equating the 'souls' of Rev. 6 with the anointed - it's not a new thought - it's always been that those martyred, anointed 'souls crying out' was symbolic like Abel's blood 'crying out' for vengeance. The important thing is that he was using Rev. 6 as an analogy (like they used Joseph's brothers as an analogy last year) - i.e. there are anointed in heaven and there are anointed on earth, their lives have overlapped and they are still part of the same group.

But all this doesn't plug the inconsistencies, of course. In fact, it creates more!

Rev. 6:9f. is dealing with martyrs - those killed unjustly - because of their witnessing, and not the anointed class per se.

There's the illustration about school age children that doesn't fly (Sir82's already mentioned how crazy it is to liken a 12 year difference in ages between a school age generation to a 60+ year one for a '1914 generation').

Donny's pointed out that nobody around in or before 1914 discerned the sign of Christ's presence that year because anointed Bible Students had already discerned he'd been present since 1874. That's a huge hole, that one.

And JonathanH noticed the speaker's contradiction where, on the one hand Rev. 6 says the slaughtered 'souls' will be avenged when the rest of their brothers are killed too, but on the other hand Jesus says the end will come before the anointed still on earth will have passed away! Which is it?

Excellent point about loaded language, Mad Sweeney.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit