How should I respond to a JW friend? (Australia)

by summerinvincible 115 Replies latest jw friends

• summerinvincible
    summerinvincible

REPLY RECEIVED! Really hoping Black Sheep, that you can cut through this waffle and get to the heart of this crazy response!

yes,they did along with others,i have printed out some info on it from a book we have that is all about the witnesses-its called Jehovah's Witnesses Proclaimers of God's Kingdom.It's actually found in th libraries,they have a copy in the religious section,it's a big green book.After Jesus was ressurected,he took on a different physical form and appeared to his disciples(John20:11 onwards)(Luke 24:25 onwards)...then later when he ascended to go back to his Father in the heavens,the angels told those there, that Jesus would come in the same manner he went(he was caught up in a cloud,so was not visible from that point on).When u read thru Matthew 24,Jesus tells his disciples about what to look for as regards the sign of his presence and the conclusion of the system of things..among those things were "Nation will rise against nation,kingdom against kingdom..food shortages.and earthquakes in one place after another.......vs 14-and this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations:and then the end will come."world events say it all!!so we don't know the exact day as it's not for us to know,but taking note of the warnings and signs from the Bible,it can't be much longer.(Matthew24:36-39).

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

When she says she has printed them out, does she mean she is going to give them to you? If yes, when?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    yes,they did along with others

Ask, which other churches predicted Christ's return in 1914?

• summerinvincible
    summerinvincible

I will ask her - she sends me things every so often without warning, so I assume it will turn up one of these days. She neglected to mention that the book is actually produced by the Watchtower.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

These "signs" have been going on for millenia. Make her prove that they are worse now than ever before.

• summerinvincible
    summerinvincible

Thanks BP, I will ask her. No doubt she will spout some rubbish about all the earthquakes we've seen recently.

But are there really more earthquakes now than ever before, or does it just seem that way?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

It seems that way because:

a) There's a bigger population worldwide to report them. How are we to know that an earthquake happened in a certain location without someone there to report it?

b) Technology allows for better detection of earthquakes, even in areas where ppl don't reside eg. ocean tsunamis can be detected way out at sea using modern technology.

But don't take our word for it, do some research of your own so she can't accuse you of getting all your information from "apostates"

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It would be good if she committed to believing that Camping is a nut job, false prophet, fooled by Satan, or any other slur on his character. Ask so that she can't just give a yes/no answer and has to express an opinion.

Ask: What do you think of Camping now that his prediction failed?

Ask: What would you say someone who believed his excuse that Judgement Day was invisible and was still convinced he was acting for God?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

That earthquake stuff is just increasing the number of subjects.

Stay with the original topic.

They are slippery buggers. You have to nail their feet to the floor on a subject you choose.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Actually she did mention the whole Camping thing when I mentioned it on my Facebook. She basically quoted a scripture from Matthew and said "Fear-mongering, how silly" and in relation to JWs changing their story in 1914, she has written to me "We learn from mistakes and don't continue to teach incorrect things like others do. Increased knowledge often requires adjustments in one's thinking. Witnesses are willing humbly to make such adjustments"....

Welcome to the forum.

You have your subject. How fortunate that Harold Camping led the way for your discussion! No, we wouldn't want to be deceived, so questions should be welcomed! Please look at this website. She probably has never done research into the "changes" concerning 1914, and how that year was chosen in the first place. You can help her to become more knowledgeable about her own organization. Your questions seem very respectful, and non-accusatory. Also, please become familiar with the quotes about 1975...talk about "fear mongering!" The Watchtower Society all but stated that Armageddon would come in 1975. When it did not, they published an article that basically blamed the members for beleiving what they published!

http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk/1914_generation.html

I have a feeling that you will find out more than you ever cared to know about JWs from this website, and will be much more informed than she is when you are through.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit