A few Dawkins quotes to think about.

by AK - Jeff 328 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Speaking of semantics - did we get past the bit where it was argued that animals don't 'suffer'?

You are so funny.

My argument was that we can't use "animal suffering" as an argument for anything. The data is not there since we have no way of percieving the animals perspective.

I'm not sayng "animals do not suffer" because that would be a fallacious argument also.

-Sab

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    God really shouldn't be the target superstition should be.

In a practical sense, what differences would there be between killing "God" and killing superstition? Please keep in mind the circumstances on the ground in some of the world's most atheist countries, when answering this question.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Including an inability to design a safer earth? What a puny god.

<reference John Locke Post>: John Locke could not kill his father by his own hand no matter how much he deserved it. God, logically, could be bound by a similar perceivable force.

-Sab

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    My argument was that we can't use "animal suffering" as an argument for anything.

We can and we do. Science tells us that animals can feel pain. Therefore, we can and we do make decisions based upon which courses of action will promote animal well-being. Why cannot this science be used as an argument?

• cofty
    cofty

John Locke could not kill his father by his own hand no matter how much he deserved it. God, logically, could be bound by a similar perceivable force.

Then he is not god

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Including an inability to design a safer earth? What a puny god.

Safer than? Venus? Mars? Jupiter? Uranus ( sorry, couldn't help that one !).

• sabastious
    sabastious
    In a practical sense, what differences would there be between killing "God" and killing superstition? Please keep in mind the circumstances on the ground in some of the world's most atheist countries, when answering this question.

One thing people gotta get out of their heads is that not believing in God somehow "disconnects" you from him. God is with all no matter what and it's humans that tell otherwise. God doesn't care how you address him or if you believe in what he is doing. He is with you and if that means manifesting through atheism then so be it.

The Witnesses got one thing right: God shall prove to be what he shall prove to be. Pity they don't actually understand that though.

-Sab

• unshackled
    unshackled

To sit around speculating whether there is a god or not, and whether this IS the way things should be, or ought to be, is a complete waste of time.

Look around the world...people are suffering. We can see that and we know that. So we need to take action to save ourselves. IF Jesus pulls up on his magic carpet and helps out at the 11th hour...then great. But no one should be sitting around waiting for it while people suffer.

• cofty
    cofty

Safer than? Venus? Mars? Jupiter?

Than earth.

Why do believers obfuscate so much? Oh yes I remember

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    God is with all no matter what and it's humans that tell otherwise.

It seems we are headed in a new direction.

How is God with me?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit