A polite way to ask someone to keep their hands to themselves...

by White Dove 91 Replies latest social relationships

• White Dove
    White Dove

Wontleave,

I take each thing individually, so I want to be careful not to offend with this one.

He's a kind soul who just needs a hint thrown his way.

I like the idea of a 3rd party, but I'd rather not involve another person.

I'll just take him aside and mention it quietly so others don't know.

Lotsofnumbers.Lotsofnumbers,

Thank you. I will deal with it when I see him again.

NOTVERYLIKELY, IS THAT YOU?!

GO AWAY!

Talesin,

Have fun with this one. It IS too easy! lol

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Off-topic

Not at all. My post was related to cultural differences in personal space, your response was about people moving to this country (whatever country you hail from) learning the behavior, my response was that you were incorrect about there being a single behavior specific to a single country. Your repsonse was off topic, then wrong, then wrong again. You may feel free to try again, but a smiley and the words "off topic" aren't going to get you very far. I mean, it'll get to wrong, but no further than that.

Wrong

Yes, you are. Let's take a looksy.

Common assault:"Both in the common law and under statute, the actus reus of a common assault is committed when one person causes another to apprehend or fear that force is about to be used to cause some degree of personal contact and possible injury. There must be some quality of reasonableness to the apprehension on the part of the victim. If the physical contact is everyday social behaviour such as a handshake or friendly pat on the back, this is acceptable even though the victim may have a phobia although, if the defendant is aware of the psychological difficulty, this may be converted into an assault if the intention is to exploit the condition and embarrass the victim."

Battery:"Battery requires (1) a volitional act that (2) results in a harmful or offensive contact with another person and (3) is committed for the purpose of causing a harmful or offensive contact or under circumstances that render such contact substantially certain to occur or with a reckless disregard as to whether such contact will result."

Common assault requires fear of force of injury or contact. Battery simply requires that the contact be known to be offensive and happen anyway.

Try again.

Sarcasm, vs valid debating point

It was. It was sarcasm in response to your ridiculous statement that suggested copping a feel is disrespectful to women. Women, as well as men, can cop a feel, commit rape, murder, drive drunk or do any number of naughty things. You really should open your mind and examine the facts before you write something.

This is just too easy.

When you don't let things like fact, information, knowledge, research or knowing what the hell you are talking about influence what you are writing, it IS easy. Unfortunately for you, it is also wrong and easily proven so.

At this point, I'll just let you keep your sunglasses on since you'll need them to be in the glow of someone as awesome as me. Learn, grasshopper, and you too may one day get it right.

NOTVERYLIKELY, IS THAT YOU?!

It is.

GO AWAY!

Ladies first.

Have fun with this one. It IS too easy! lol

You must need sunglasses too. It's ok, I don't mind two students.

My offer still stands to help you. You might notice that several others have endorsed the advice I gave you about a polite discussion on the first page and others have made similar suggestions and, despite your initial threats of violence (which, for someone who has spoken so much about rape, touching and other offensive acts, strikes me as horribly insensitive towards the victims of those crimes), you now endorse. You might be learning something.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

You can say... "I give you a whole 5 minutes to remove your hand from my body or else "....

• Tempered
    Tempered

What's a polite way to ask a man to keep his hands to himself while conversing in a group with you?

Exactly how old are you? You haven't figured out how to handle a situation like this? You need to ask for advice on a messageboard?

I smell an attention whore.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

All I know is that I had the same thing happen when friends of ours would have a little too much..I knew he was getting drunk so I simply moved away..if it continued I would have quietly asked him to stop if it made me uncomfortable..if he continued either he would leave if it was my place or I would leave if it was his place..

Actually had a husband and wife get out of control with both hubby and I one time and although hubby seemd to be enjoying it (even tho he was a witness) I wasn't ..I insisted we leave or at least for hubby take me home. The guy aplolgised and we did stay but we didn't see much of them after that if they were drinking. If they weren't drinking they were the nicest people you would want to be around. Some people just can't hold their liquor.

Snoozy..

• Mat
    Mat

First time just say- "please don't do that". Firm but polite. Second time say something with a bit more threat to it. Third time loose your temper! Some people probably do it automatically without thinking, not realising they are being intrusive.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I went back and read the OP again. When I advised to yell at the old guy, I thought that this was an ongoing problem with him. If this is the first time he's done this, then you can politely tell him that you don't like to be touched by him. If you've already walked away from him for touching you, then there is no polite way to go about it.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Jamie,

Yes, I stepped away and didn't say anything.

While a JW, in 42 years no one ever did that, so I was wondering how non-JW's usually dealt with such a situation.

It's a squeel and report type thing in the congregation, but what is it in the "world?"

It's a whole different world outside of the KHall walls.

I've been out of the WTS since about 2006, ~5 years.

How can one figure out how to handle a situation that has never happened before?

Dealing with non-JW's is still new to me.

• White Dove
    White Dove

So, Tempered and Entirelypossible,

When you have a question about social issues, who do you ask?

If a situation is new to you and you wonder how to handle it, who do you go to for ideas and advice?

Who'd you go to when you were newely out of the control of the WTS?

You two obviously know better places and people than this board.

Obviously, you two don't believe that questions of such nature are appropriate here.

• talesin
    talesin

Obviously, you two don't believe that questions of such nature are appropriate here.

Don't let it get to you,,, and remember it's SIMON who decides what is appropriate here, not anonymous posters. I suggest these folks just refrain from clicking on your threads if they are not interested in being supportive.

And by the way, many women struggle with this issue, especially those of us who were taught to be 'nice' at the expense of our own personhood. It's a VALID QUESTION.

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit