The Christian Onslaught

by satinka 205 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

Jesus to the Twelve 'Whatever'

• still thinking
    still thinking

designs...you may indeed be right. But nice or not...this thread has become repulsive. If christians have to disagree and argue about everything...honestly...what hope do any of them think they have of convincing a non christian?

I am all for honest discussion, even a few heated arguments are all good, we are human and sometimes we just need to hammer things out....but I can also see when people are flogging a dead horse.

• tec
    tec
    what hope do any of them think they have of convincing a non christian?

You had it right the first time:

I am really starting to see that humans are not the place to look.

Christ said that people would know that they are His followers by the love they had among them. That being said, I can see why so many look at Christianity and turn away. Its sad, and Christians have done it to ourselves, but I understand it. But it isn't surprising though either... Christ foretold it happening.

At the same time as all that, there are Christians who give to the poor, who forgive because of their faith and love, who do good to their friends and their enemies. Even Christ warned that some would say "Lord, lord..." , but that He would not know them. Not everyone who claims to be a Christian actually is one, in their heart and/or deed.

Beating a dead horse often serves no purpose, this is true enough. But often discussions turn into something similar as that, on any topic. It is unfortunate when anger enters the discussion. But we're not all going to agree. Shouldn't it say something if we can disagree (strongly), and yet still love and do good to one another?

Tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Satinka Ironically the point of this thread has proven itself

• still thinking
    still thinking

tec...individually I think everyone here is a lovely person (well almost everyone).

I have agreed and disagreed with everyone at some point. But what is sad is seeing arguments/discussions/debates over Jesus that just go on and on.

I must confess I have leapt into debates on Trinity, only because I want to get a better understanding and want my ideas challenged. By doing this it helps me discover what I really believe. But this thread just seems to be going round and round and round.......it is starting to look more like people just want to be right!

• tec
    tec
    But this thread just seems to be going round and round and round.......it is starting to look more like people just want to be right!

Perhaps so. Some others might just be trying to add some balance, though, too. (maybe that's just feeding the fire though) What you say is not without merit though. This discussion seems to be self-defeating. I apologize for my part in that, and do wish the peace and understanding of Christ upon all parties involved.

(I try to avoid trinity threads because they go around and around too, and no one changes their mind on their stance, or even seems to consider the points of the other side... but I confess to being sucked in on occasion as well)

Tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

I don't think you need to apologize tec. It's a free world, and it's only my opinion. Yeah, I know what you mean about the trinity threads. Sometimes I can't resist though. And like I said, I am not 100% sure on the matter (99% maybe hee hee). Sometimes I've just gotta challenge that idea again to make sure I still have good reason to think what I think. And if not, adjust my thinking.....thats why I'm....still thinking.

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

Pika: Show me a better way to say that the Bible teaches that Jesus is Lord God and that it matters whether we follow Him or a fake?

Sure. Let us first see if you can establish the notion that everything the Bible says is true and that the God it describes is real. That would be a nice start.

• satinka
    satinka

Pika-Chu wrote:

Sure. Let us first see if you can establish the notion that everything the Bible says is true and that the God it describes is real. That would be a nice start.

I agree. The Bible has "written out" and "destroyed" all the other gods and goddesses of the ancients. The patriarchs would have us believe these other gods/goddesses never existed and only Jehovah exists. Pu-leeease!

Perhaps another group could "write out" and "destroy" Jehovah --- and resurrect all the other gods/goddesses of the ancients.

satinka

• jgnat
    jgnat

Building on that thought, Santika, I recall a Science Fiction novel where future worshippers followed the Church of Elvis. Preposterous, I thought.

But then again, history belongs to those who write it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit