June 15th WT ( again) JW's told " Elders are Imperfect " Give them a Break

by flipper 56 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

This is one subject that really annoyed me when I was a Jehovah's Witness - and I find it STILL annoys me after being out 7 years from the JW's. The title of this JW only WT study article is " Have Regard For Those Who Are Working Hard Among You ". In my opinion there always seemed to be a double standard in which rank and file publishers were always told to be patient with elders shortcomings - however if rank and file publishers slipped up - elders would be into admonishing and disciplining them like flies attracted to dung with no delay.

Notice this quote from page 25 , paragraph 7 , " Christian shepherds today imitate Paul by cherishing the flock. By nature, some sheep may NOT be WARM and COMPANIONABLE . Still, the elders TRY to show insight and " find good " in them. True, BEING IMPERFECT , an elder may STRUGGLE to have a positive view of each one. Yet, as he tries his best to be gentle toward all, should he not be COMMENDED for his effort to be a good shepherd under Christ ? " My view : Not if he's an a$$hole himself. Look : I realize there were LOTS of elders who were decent, kind guys. But I find it quite the double standard here that elders are told " Yes, some brothers and sisters are not warm , but struggle to have a positive view of them" . What about the shoe being on the other foot ? Is it EVER said in the WT magazine that SOME ELDERS may NOT be WARM and COMPANIONABLE ? Publishers are imperfect too , but you never see the WT society making excuses for them if they find it hard to deal with elders. What if publishers are STRUGGLING to show respect to elders ? They get counseled for it. But what if elders DO NOT show respect for the publishers? It usually goes unnoticed , or at least nobody challenges them on it. And why ? Because rank and file publishers are intimidated by these men thinking they are appointed by God or holy spirit ! So it's an excuse for elders to abuse their power and dominate over congregation members ! Okay, now I'll exhale.

Notice a contradiction in paragraph 17, it states, " Of course, ELDERS ARE IMPERFECT and may say things that they later regret. So when an elder approaches someone with words of admonition, he likely does so after giving the matter MUCH CONSIDERATION and PRAYING over it. If you have been admonished, do you appreciate that elder's loving concern ? " O.K. I have a question : If elders have given MUCH CONSIDERATION and PRAYER before giving admonition how do they many times say things they later regret ? I thought that praying for holy spirit is supposed to FIX that ?? Unbelievable. You get my point.

In finishing check this jewel of an illustration out in paragraph 18, " Suppose you had a health problem that seemed medically inexplicable. Then a physician correctly identified the problem, but the diagnosis was rather hard to accept. Would you hold a grudge against that doctor ? No ! Even if he recommended an operation, you would likely agree to the treatment, believing it to be for your benefit. The WAY the doctor conveyed the information may have a bearing on your feelings , but would you let that determine your decision ? Probably not. Likewise, do NOT allow the wAY you are admonished to prevent you from listening to those whom Jehovah and Jesus may be using to let you know how you can help protect yourself spiritually. " Sigh. Translation : The WT society excuses elders for the WAY or MANNER they counsel rank and file publishers because they are always right - just like doctors !! First time I've ever seen elders compared to doctors. Good lord.

So- I rest my case . I'm exhausted just writing this. One reason I left this mind control cult was injustices suffered by me and others by elders who shot off with their own opinions to me not based on the Bible. No way are they appointed by " holy spirit ". As always I look eagerly to your comments and experiences as well and any takes or observations on this article. Take care everybody, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Christian shepherds today imitate Paul by cherishing the flock. By nature, some sheep may NOT be WARM and COMPANIONABLE . Still, the elders TRY to show insight and " find good " in them.

...unless they don't imitate Paul and/or they don't try to show insight or find good in members.

Yet, as he tries his best to be gentle toward all, should he not be COMMENDED for his effort to be a good shepherd under Christ ?

...unless he does not try his best to be gentle toward all (or at all). And shouldn't that be "under Watchtower" ?

Elders compared to doctors, HA HA. "Spiritual Doctors," I am sure they are not.

"ELDER" is a title like "KING" or "DICTATOR" or "CULT MANAGERS." They are elevating the elders above the flock. They are supposed to be congregation servants, but we all know they are Watchtower servants above the literature salesforce at the local hall.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Fortunately the elders in my hall were not assholes, for the most part. Some of the MS however... There was one in particular who used to be an elder but due to humility issues he was downgraded. Seemed like he always held a grudge.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Still, the elders TRY to show insight and " find good " in them.

WTF? This is just a big f***ing loophole for elders who are @$$holes in general or for those who have issues with certain of the R&F in their cong. Now they can say "I'M NOT PERFECT.........but just look at all my EFFORT...........I'm trying best to be loving and find good in so-and-so"......

O.K. I have a question : If elders have given MUCH CONSIDERATION and PRAYER before giving admonition how do they many times say things they later regret ? I thought that praying for holy spirit is supposed to FIX that ??

The HS is AWOL again! Just like it was when it appointed the jack@$$ elder.

I think we should elevate them all to Pope. Then we would just be expected to kiss their RING.

• steve2
    steve2

I agree Mr flipper: The Watchtower has no hesitation in condemning the elders in "false" religions for their behaviour but endlessly justifies their own elders' behaviour as "only human" and well motivated.

• sizemik
    sizemik

This article made my bloody blood boil too (can I say that)

I spent 18 years an MS in 6 different congo's . . . and was three times 'invited' to serve on the BOE. The first 2 times I turned it down flat citing family responsibilities and got a bum rap because of it.

The real reason was because I had numerous friends falling over themselves to lick boots and get appointed. Most of them did and went from 'nice guy's' to the trademark arseholes almost overnight . . . and I hated to see it.

Finally I succumbed on the third occasion and spent my first meeting discussing what to do about sister so-and-so and her short dresses because elder A's wife thought she was a 'worldly influence' . . . yeah . . . a dream come true . . . like I had nothing better to do!

Thankfully it lasted all of 3 months and I was on the path out.

Sure they get busy . . . but my experience was they were mostly petty, power loving individuals who loved the status way more than the 'work'

I knew about 3 over 25 years who were genuine people-carers and they spent most of their time with their face in their hands wondering what the hell the others were up to.

Another poster some time back called them 'window cleaners and janitors trying to be Lords" and that's pretty accurrate IMO

I hated the whole sorry arrangement and still do

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Another poster some time back called them 'window cleaners and janitors trying to be Lords" and that's pretty accurrate IMO

I think we should elevate them all to Pope. Then we would just be expected to kiss their RING.

(Deja vu all over again)

• heathen
    heathen

I think it's more like elders will spy on you and follow you around while using gps or any government agency just to impose their will on you

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The hounders use this as an excuse to hound and beat the congregation. Suppose the congregation wants to send a Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund donation? The congregation accounts are at TP$2500, or about TP$500 short of a bleed. This is enough to pay the bills. The congregation members are trying to protect their wealth so, when hyperinflation hits, they will not be a burden on others. Some are investing in gold and silver, or silver mining stocks. Others are investing in oil or agricultural commodities. They know they only have a few months, or a year at most, before their currency becomes like Zimbabwe's toilet paper dollar.

Along comes Brother Hounder. Planning to use the "imperfection" card, he makes it clear that investments in these assets is "not trusting in Jehovah" and tells the whole congregation that, if they trust in Jehovah, they would donate all their assets to the congregation fund so it can top TP$3000 and allow them to bleed it. They start shoving pledge forms in members' faces, assuming everyone has thousands of ounces of silver and gold, or barrels of oil, or bushels of agricultural commodities. So, about 2/3 of the money is pried loose. Next week, the same hounder bashes the other 1/3, claiming that Jehovah is going to destroy them unless they trust him and give up all their assets. They end up with 90% of the people giving up their assets, and then start going after the other 10%. From here, it becomes a "brazen conduct" issue, where anyone left with assets after that point gets a trip to the back room for "brazen conduct".

Soon thereafter, the hyperinflation hits. No one is able to afford anything. Yet, this same hounder still expects field circus and boasting session attendance to remain up. And, when that doesn't happen because of no gas money, the hounder starts another round of guilt. You are not trusting in Jehovah. How do you expect Jehovah to save you if you do not go out in field circus. And so on. And, when people start complaining that, had they kept their investments, they might have been able to afford field circus. At which point the "imperfection" card is played. The hounders are "imperfect" and gave rotten advice, with increasing force, until no one has the means to support the congregation.

Now, what about those few that held onto their investments? They do not get a pass for "imperfection". Rather, they are bashed for "brazen conduct", even disfellowshipped. Even after hyperinflation, those holding on to investments are not vindicated because it turned out that they were right. They needed to obey the hounders, even though they were wrong (obviously so) and the ones doing "brazen conduct" were right. It was "wrong" to not obey.

I have the feeling you are going to hear more stories like this. Imperfection means that, as long as hounders are free to make mistakes, people should be free to disobey them to avoid those mistakes and the problems they are sure to create. Beyond this, who said "As you judge others, you also shall be judged"? I believe that was Jesus that said that. If the hounders will not give the flock a pass for "imperfection" on matters like masturbation and listening to rap music (or even fornication), why should the flock give the hounders a pass for "imperfection" for making bad decisions that are going to affect everyone?

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Many would agree that the Elder arrangement needs a good overhaul.

Do Elders do any good for the individuals in the congregation?..........Yes.

Do Elders do any harm to individuals in the congregation?.........Yes.

Many would agree that Elders past & present have done more harm than good. The harm out ways the good sad to say. The WTBTS' non-Biblical disfellowshipping policy that the Elders enforce at the congregational level is evidence alone of the harm caused to untold tens of thousands of individuals and their familys' over the years. Many of these disfellowshippings have been over otherwise petty offenses.

The non-Biblical practice of shunning after a disfellowshipping is more pain that is inflicted upon an individual, family and friends for months and years to come.

How the WTBTS can come out with a study article entitled: 'Have Regard for Those Who Are Working Hard Among You' is really hard to understand!

Thank you 'fipper' for giving us a heads up on this article.

(I feel sick)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit