How HIGH did you climb the ranks as a JW? Did you like the STATUS?

by unshackled 77 Replies latest jw friends

• ambersun
    ambersun

Like blondie, I was also a mere, inferior female and therefore pioneering was the limit to how high I was allowed to climb. I certainly didn't crave status enough to marry an elder or ministerial servant just in order to get it as I didn't fancy any of the ones I knew, they were all far too nerdy.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

I was a regular mike handler, bouncer and reader at meetings. I was a succesful 5-minutes speaker at the Ministry School. Answered twice at each WT study session. I lead a few FS meetings when elders and MS were unavailable. Auxiliary pioneer for 2 months. I was interviewed at a circuit assembly. Worked a few days (around 7-8) as a volunteer for the construction of a large assembly hall. All the above combined with a good financial and social status made me the perfect candidate for the positions of MS and husband. Then I kicked the bucket and spoiled the milk.

• petitebrunette
    petitebrunette

Regular pioneer 10 yrs, married to a MS, volunteered on quickbuilds. Did I like it? No. Liked the quickbuilds, but not pioneering.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Wow...we have some old superstars in the JW world. leavingwt and gayle were bethelites. cantleave, TotallyADD, designs, minimus...all elders. Though designs says "two star elder"...what is that out of? 2 out of 5... or...2 out of 10?

blondie, ambersun: True that as sisters you didn't have far to climb. I knew some elder's wives that held some sort of "higher" position over other sisters in the cong. Like they had the extra pressure of being an example to the rest. Some elder's wives assumed too much on themselves and were a real pain in the ass.

prophecor: Yeah that doesn't make any sense. Asked to read in the book study before baptism, but not after? And replaced by a sister? Very odd. I don't ever recall a sister reading.

Wontleave: sounds like you had a skeptical, fight the authorities spirit right from the get-go. Think I always had those feelings but suppressed them far too long. Wish I had let them flourish sooner.

All in all, any status I felt I think came from peer approval. Pounded into our heads over and over to do more, be more. When you did and were recognized for it, that developed a false sense of accomplishment. Sad really....feeling proud of handing a mic around? Lame.

Would anyone count their answers? Remember feeling the pressure to answer at least once....but when you got 3 or 4 or 5...you were rockin'.

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

Another female here. I was the wife of an MS and an elder (TotallyADD). I auxiliary pioneered for 2 years, then regular pioneered for 2 years. I was amused when a friend called me the "first lady of the congregation" because my husband was the PO. I was interviewed on a CA and did a demonstration on a DC. TotallyADD forgot to mention that he worked in the baptismal department for CAs where I assisted in the sisters dressing room.

Reopened Mind

• unshackled
    unshackled

Reopened Mind: Well that's cool...didn't know you and TotallyADD were married. Funny being "first lady of the congregation"....I observed that mentality in a few congregations. Being the PO wife seemed to include being the leader for other sisters. How did that title make you feel? Did you like it?

• nugget
    nugget

female means no status at all. Aux Pioneered and later married to an elder but didn't feel any different or behave any differently. I was too busy trying to be a good example and keeping it together.

When I had children felt they were more important and the idiocy of evening meetings for babes in arms was all too clear.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Ministerial Servant. Auxillary Pioneer 1 year. Regular Pioneer 3.5 years. Bethel 3.5 years. Involved with quickbuilds and district convention cleaning.

Question should be LOW did I go. I spent a year cleaning toilets at bethel and then moved across to washing dishes, then waitering. As an MS, I did microphones, platform, sound, cleaning, accounts, audit, watchtower reading, prayers, field service conductor, took a few bookstudies and did two public talks.

• not sure yet
    not sure yet

Gilead graduate and missionary...

• meangirl
    meangirl

Regular pioneer, interviewed as a regular pioneer couple at a CA. Husband ministerial servant and used ALOT to give public talks. I was typically used to give the talk when the CO visited. Yeah I was that good. He he.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit