How many received the memorial invitation?

by IMHO 74 Replies latest jw friends

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I actually got two and then another. I've decided to actually attend a Memorial this year just for the hell of it. Last one I went to was circa 1963. Might be fun to actually be inside a KH. I'm going to try and tape the whole thing - and if anything exciting happens (yeah, right!) I will be happy to share it with all of you. Maybe make a YouTube vid out of it. We'll see.

A building contractor working on my house brought me one that he got (he knows I'm an apostate). At that point I hadn't got mine. A few days later, I saw about six or eight JWs in the neighborhood. It was like Halloween. Two adults were walking down the sidewalk and then giving a child JW a stack of invites to put on the doorsteps. Well known as "The Apostate in the Neighborhood," I did not expect to get one, but sure enough, a little boy about 8 years old (wearing a shirt and tie under his all-weather jacket, ran up to my door and put one under the edge of the doormat. I watched him run down my walkway and almost take a header when he slipped in a mossy puddle of water. Great - I'd be sued by the very people invading my space.

I got the third invite when I was going to the local drive-in pharmacy. This young fellow (about 16-17) stepped in between the wall and my car window. Damn near scared the wee-wee out of me. Never had that happen before. My attention was on the bullet-proof service window, not on my rear view mirror, and there he was - just there - and then gone in a flash.

So I have three invitations, one for each of three different KHs. I know which one covers my neighborhood, and I am well-known to them. So I think I will go to another one that is about 6 miles away in the far distant corner of town.

Anyone else here on JWN who is not an active or fading JW that is going?

Did everyone notice that the invitation also includes an invitation to a May 1 public talk? Oh yeah, let's hear how principles used by ancient camel drivers can solve the problems of our modern age. Let's stone our daughters for getting raped, commit holocausts on everyone who does not believe as we do, and stop eating lobster.

I don't think so...

JV

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I got one at home, and there was one at work someone dropped by, that

they saved for me, cause they knew it would set me off!

Burned them both!

but...my sisters and I have considered going and drinking their cheap wine!

• scarredforlife
    scarredforlife

I did not. I haven't seen a JW or any sign of them in 3 years.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Two ex-bros. came by yesterday morning,I let them do their spiel,then asked the one doing all the talking how long he`s been a jw,he said since 1965,I said then you have seen quite a few changes.I spoke about " Zions Watchtower and Herald of Christs Presence" and what it implied, 1874,the end of all kingdoms destroyed by God in 1914-1918 jesus choosing the organization in 1919,.....the end of 6000 yrs in 1975, the generation change,and finally he said paraphrasing paul "Well if it turns out wer`e wrong so be it pity us but we have lived a good life and never hurt anybody"

He was in complete denial,and his companion never uttered a word the whole time

Who knows maybe a seed was planted

smiddy

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Not one, despite a long history as a JW, wouldn’t matter though as I had the best excuse - I’m in China for work at the moment, aint no memorial here!!! Too much pollution to see the moon at night, they will be having a glass of wine and crackers tonight at the Karaoke bar! Cheers, Mattieu...

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

I did.

Despite the fact that I wrote a Do Not Call letter to the local hall and cc'd Bethel when we moved here 8 years ago, the last few years we have been getting called on by what I assume are elders. Depending on our mood, we either don't answer, or tell them we're a DNC and that we're owner occupied (we live near a university in a townhouse complex). Once I did accept literature from a young girl when I answered the door without realizing who they were.

This time I found the Memorial invite stuck in the door. I completely lost patience. Conveniently, the hall's address was listed on this particular piece of literature (evil grin).

I took a black magic marker and wrote "DO NOT CALL means DO NOT CALL" on the front of the invite. Then I flipped it over and wrote "I have requested not to be called on in writing to your hall and your headquarters in New York. I have told you in person. WHAT DOES IT TAKE???" On the inside I wrote "[my address] is a DO. NOT. CALL. Do not call to leave literature, or to see if we are still not interested, or on the pretense of seeing if different people live there. Just Do. Not. Call"

My husband thought I was being silly. But I feel better. It remains to be seen if they get my Very Subtle Hint. I'm sure they were horrified and offended that I defaced their precious publication. Buttheads.

• artemis.design
    artemis.design

Not this year, I put on my face book "Faith is not a Virtue, Faith is a Gullibility. I am an athiest". It seems to have worked, it is the 1st time in 15 years I have not been asked. I have never attended although the family usually beg me. Whats the point?

Arte

• four candles
    four candles

I got 2,one of my Mum,who still sends me the mags,which I do read occasionally. She's cool with the fact that I don't go anymore,and we still have a wonderful relationship.

However,last weekend here in Wales it was a grand hot day and I was sitting naked in the garden catching the rays, when the local witnesses drove in. After donning shorts I had handy They left me with an invite. But I'm sure the sisters in the car got an eyeful,but who cares. Shall I turn up at the memorial naked as well?? he he.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

LOL @ Wobble - at least you gave the car group something to talk about for the day!!

• factfinder
    factfinder

@Amelia Ashton- I've been gone 5 years and no one contacts me either! They miss me so much!

Nope- I did not get an invitation-not even from my jw brother!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit