Which one of these men will you kill...if either?

by Terry 112 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec
    Allow me to user Star Trek to answer this question.
  • Terry
    Terry

You're asking me to accept an extraordinary claim: that you thought all of the above in this outrageously tense moment.

Back up a minute. All any of the brothers EVER thought about was our situation versus the violent people we were surrounded by.

We talked about what ifs. We discussed the taunts. We considered options. These things were in our consiousness in a hundred variants.

Secondly, there is something truly weird about what happens to TIME (or the perception of it) in a life-or-death situation. The mind accelerates

into hyperdrive. A thousand scenarios flicker by in a milisecond.

Try reading again what I said and the perspective from which I spoke:

Now that I've had waaay too many years to reflect on all this...here is what I think was happening.
    It flashed into my mind that it would appear to be sheer hypocrisy to be a conscientious objector and then act violently!
  • AGuest
    AGuest

Oh, c'mon, dear TTO (again, peace to you!). Surely, I deserve some acknowledgement for calling "BS" on dear Terry's... ummmmm... BS. Sure, it was an opportunity to address the moral issue, but good golly... why not some credit where credit's deserved, for a change?

I'm not great, but just decent, too.

Okay, more BS. Daddy-O... the greatest of love and peace to you, my dear, dear friend... and that's just BS and I'm calling YOU on it. You are a GREAT musician; absolutely BRILLIANT. I have heard and seen you play... and, as I said to you... can't figure out why you're not in concert. Truly.

TEC, honey (peace to you!)!! Girl, are you a Trekkie?? I KNEW we had more in common! So, were you a James T. Kirk groupie? I had a "thing" for Spock, myself (and I LOVED that he and Uhura were love interests in the recent movie! I knew it all along! I KNEW Kirk wasn't her type - he was smart, yeah, okay... but not brilliant, like Spock!). I think I've seen every episode of every "Star Trek" series ever made... and certainly every movie. Not "weird" enough to buy memorabilia or attend a convention, mind you... but did glue my mug to the little screen as much as any Trekkie!

Peace... and my apologies for the Star Trek side bar!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Twitch
    Twitch

@DeputyDog - You say if one would take action in the scenario, they would be unfit to be a police officer. Which I presume is to say a police officer wouldn't willingly take a life. Who would really? Since this is all hypothetical anyways, let's look at it a different way. You're a constable on patrol (shall we presume your name is Kirk, with the rank of captain?) and come across a man who has a remote trigger to a bomb in his hand. You can see the bomb on top of a bus full of people. The man has a gun pointed at the head of Stephen Hawking (or some other visionary) but is hiding behind his hostage. The man says he has no demands and will kill Steve and blow up the bus no matter what you do. You can't get a clear shot on him and might kill Steve instead, giving him time hit the trigger. My question to you is, what is the correct response according to police trainprocedures and of course, what would you do?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Really, is there any problem Kirk can't solve by having sex with the right alien?

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    Really, is there any problem Kirk can't solve by having sex with the right alien?

Or yeoman?

• Farkel
    Farkel

Personally, while I have fantasized about killing a LOT of people, I doubt I could actually do the deed.

In the cosmic sense, it doesn't mean a whit. But, in my short-lived worldview, I'm just a coward about doing it. I still feel guilty when I cross a street where the "Don't Walk" light is showing.

I prefer messing with people's minds. It's more violent than actually killing someone.

Farkel

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Twitch

@DeputyDog - You say if one would take action in the scenario, they would be unfit to be a police officer. Which I presume is to say a police officer wouldn't willingly take a life. Who would really?

You presume wrong. There is a time for deadly force. But Terry's scenario, isn't one of them. The solution is simple... ask someone for help.

There are many things that could be done. With help, you could follow both men, photograph and identify both men, learn more about them and make an arrest or take the right man out if it comes to that.

It's never right to take a chance and impulsively kill someone.

Your scenario is different, but, patience is still a virtue. I've actually been put into the hostage situation in training, many times.

First, I'd call for backup. Next I'd find cover and wait until I could get a safe shot off, and/or wait for my help to arrive. I'd also watch and report events as I observe them, with details of who is who and where, to further aid my backup as he/they arrive on scene.

Now I'd admit that there are times when you may take risks if/when reasonable depending on the situation. One time in training, I managed to shoot the bad guy in the head from about 20 yards away with my Glock pistol (loaded with symunition), while he was still holding his hostage.

I was then asked if I wanted to play the part of the hostage for the rest of the day. That really made me stop and think about my decision.

• Terry
    Terry

I prefer messing with people's minds. It's more violent than actually killing someone.

Farkel

I believe you are right, Fark. Tampering with the mind is an act of violence.

Most of us here have been tampered with and we still suffer the effects.

• Twitch
    Twitch

@ DeputyDog

Thanks for the answer; it makes sense and is reasonable as I had hoped. My presumption was a bit of bait in that I tried to mimic Terry's conundrum in a real life situation with the stipulation that one wouldn't have time or the option of waiting for backup and had to make a life or death decision immediately. I realize that police have to resort to deadly force at times, thus my reason for asking. Tough job I'm sure.

And no, I don't enjoy the SAW movie series, but do like puzzles,...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit