Which one of these men will you kill...if either?

by Terry 112 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

I like to perform "thinking experiments" like Einstein use to do. Of course, he was better equipped for it than I am. But, dash it all, I do anyway.

I imagine two men sitting side by side in a train station waiting on a train.

They more are less look like fairly "normal" people. Whatever that might mean to you or me.

One of them is a serial killer and the other a research scientist about to make a breakthrough that will lead to a cure for cancer.

Just by watching them you can't see any difference at all. Nothing gives away which is which.

Now here is where the experiment gets interesting.

You are sitting in a remote booth with two buttons in front of you that lead to a device connected to each chair where those men are sitting.

If you push the button on the left the guy on the left is injected with a fast acting non-traceable poison. He will die within thirty seconds painlessly.

If you push the button on the right the other guy gets the juice. Either way, somebody dies.

You have one minute to decide which one dies.

A third option is available to you, however. You can simply refrain altogether.

The serial killer will go on to kill eleven persons before being apprehended.

The research scientist will be one of those victims.

What would you do?

If you do nothing you have eleven murders you may have prevented on your conscience.

If the serial killer eliminates the research scientist there are untold numbers of cancer victims who will die agonizing slow deaths.

How does your thinking address this problem and what solution would you offer.

You are constrained to do only one of the three mentioned variables. You cannot stray outside the boundries of this problem as told.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

so it's not possible to kill them both?

• Terry
    Terry

Go ahead.

Is that what you've decided?

If so, why?

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

dunno... because i can.

in addition, the serial killer would kill the scientist anyway. it's a 50% chance that i kill the scientist and the serial killer goes on a killing spree. by killing them both, this threat is 100% removed.

of course, there's also a 50% chance to have a cure for cancer.

but those buttons look way too tempting...

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Choose one at random. If it's the research scientist the outcome is the same. If it's the serial killer the world is cured of cancer and eleven people see another day.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

An action without applied guilt.

There's a 50/50 chance you'll make the right decision after the results.

added that if you killed the Doctor, the serial killer would be sent lose to continue on in his mis-deeds

Since the consequences of making the wrong decision are so high, most people would refrain from pushing any button

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Can't take a chance on killing the research scientist, gotta pass and leave it in the hands of a higher authority...

• sir82
    sir82

So in addition to making the choice, I know the future too?

The serial killer will inevitably kill 11 other people, regardless of any other circumstances, if he lives?

The scientist will inevitably determine the cure for cancer, it will absolutely work as expected, and no grievous side effects will emerge?

The serial killer will inevitably kill the scientist?

And those are the only things abut the future I know?

For example, I can't know if the scientist will die before or after publishing his breakthrough? Or if he has left meticulous notes that another qualified researcher could duplicate?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hmmmm..

Flip a coin..If I Bump the wrong one off..I can kill the other one later..

I am the new Serial Killer..I finally have a Hobby..

....................... ...OUTLAW

• unshackled
    unshackled

Ah that ol' chestnut...do you sacrifice a few for the sake of many.

Berengaria already stated what my choice would be. Take the 50/50 chance that you'd kill the serial killer and save the 11, and countless others with the cancer cure.

Edit: From the OP...If the serial killer eliminates the research scientist there are untold numbers of cancer victims who will die agonizing slow deaths.

I take that to mean IF you don't kill either, the scientist WON'T get the cancer cure out to the world BEFORE the killer does him in. So it's worth the 50/50 try on getting the killer. Basically comes down to a 50/50 chance to cure cancer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit