Which one of these men will you kill...if either?

by Terry 112 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sinis
    sinis

Both... but neither, for the serial killer finishes the good doctor (part of the 11) and is himself put to death after being caught (capital punishment). Serial killers usually target the scum of society, or those indulging in immoral or unethical/illegal behavior, therefore the doctor was involved in unethical/illegal behavior. He serves a higher purpose, ie vigilante.

The research scientist, though he makes a break through, benefits no one but the ultra wealthy as his patent is cubby holed and only for sale for those that have lots of money - it does not benefit the masses.

Another factor is the mode of transportation. The serial killer would definately be associated with this form of public transportation as he scouts out a victim, ie prostitute, etc. The doctor, however, is also engaged in something illegal or unethical as this mode of transportation is not likely given grants and or research money. The good doctor would more than likely own personal transportation of some kind and therefore would not be taking public transportation for commutes or city to city travel (would take a plane).

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Scientists don't operate as lone wolves, and in this day of technology, I'm sure his colleagues have access to his research notes and important data. So I say flip a coin, press a button, let the chips fall where they may. If the scientist does bite the big one, and serial killer goes on to kill another 10 people, well that sucks, but life wasn't mean to be fair, now was it? Plus eventually the serial killer will slip up and get caught, or DNA will hang him somewhere down the road. It will make for a great MSNBC 1/2 hr documentary.

• tec
    tec

No button. Why? Because I would listen to my Lord, and not kill or judge. I would hope that I would not stoop to my 'enemies' level.

Have you seen the movie, Unthinkable?

Fantastic movie about the things we use to convince ourselves that killing is justified. Or torture. Or whatever terrible thing we might under normal circumstances never think of. But wrong is still wrong, and if we were just to remain focused on that and on doing what we, ourselves, should be doing (without breaking our own rules because it might prevent a greater evil), then I think things would be a lot less convoluted.

Tammy

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

No button. Why? Because I would listen to my Lord, and not kill or judge. I would hope that I would not stoop to my 'enemies' level.

Have you seen the movie, Unthinkable?

Fantastic movie about the things we use to convince ourselves that killing is justified. Or torture. Or whatever terrible thing we might under normal circumstances never think of. But wrong is still wrong, and if we were just to remain focused on that and on doing what we, ourselves, should be doing (without breaking our own rules because it might prevent a greater evil), then I think things would be a lot less convoluted.

Tammy

Thats a copout.

• tec
    tec

A copout of what?

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Personally I see it as a very courageous act. One that I can't imagine having the fortitude for. It's not about judgement, it's about doing something horrible and against your nature to save untold numbers of people from agony.

• Terry
    Terry

So in addition to making the choice, I know the future too?

The serial killer will inevitably kill 11 other people, regardless of any other circumstances, if he lives?

The scientist will inevitably determine the cure for cancer, it will absolutely work as expected, and no grievous side effects will emerge?

The serial killer will inevitably kill the scientist?

And those are the only things abut the future I know?

For example, I can't know if the scientist will die before or after publishing his breakthrough? Or if he has left meticulous notes that another qualified researcher could duplicate?

The point of this question is to get you to perform or not perform based on the premise.

There are limits to the premise. That is why a time limit is placed on the decision.

There are people who are natural temporizers who'll just run the clock out to default.

What is your final decision, by the way?

• moshe
    moshe

I'll just cut off their hands,- the scientist only needs his brain to develop a cancer cure- the killer needs his hands to do his evil deed.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Kill them both. There are already several cancer cures that have been shunted to the sidelines. This one would prolly be, as well. Overall, the world would be better without the serial killer.

S

• Twitch
    Twitch

Doing nothing kills eleven prematurely plus many more as a result = not an option.

Press the button and take the 50/50 chance of eliminating the above threat. If right, everybody wins. If wrong, only eleven lose but countless more would gain. The needs of the many outweight the needs of the few.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit