How Many JWs Have You known Who Have Commited Suicide?

by Was New Boy 81 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

A Brother who was convicted of paedophilia by the law of the land but acquitted and protected by the elders.

An elder hung himself an no one know why to this day.

• Was New Boy
    Was New Boy

I forgot my x father inlaw who left (dfed) back in the 1950's....he blew his brains out in 1991. I know...so how does that count?

Well in 1974 the GB got "new light" they said you could have "limited contact" with disfellowshiped ones. This was to try and get them back in. So my exwife finally could talk to her dad, who she really loved!

Well in 1981 the GB got more "new light"....NO CONTACT what so ever. So when he called my wife, asking her if he could come up for a visit. She said "that things had changed" and now he could have no contact with her or his grand kids....it was back to tough love.

So how did the "tough love" work out.....blood and brains on the living room wall.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Important issue but very tragic.

To those of you who tried and are still here - I am very glad you are still here

I know of 4 who succeeded

• aunt - 13 yrs old baptized - sexually abused by her father then by my step-father. She was sent to live 300 miles away - committed suicide by drowning - abuse covered up in cong
    • MY sister 47 yrs old - left Witnesses as teen but remained a believer for her whole life - refused to look at the WTS - many attempts - finally succeeded 6 yrs ago from OD - never dealt with sexual abuse by her brothers or father - covered up in cong
    • sister - 52 yrs old - cancer - depressed after death of her mother - refused medical threatment that was shrinking tumor and determined to die at home rather than wait for Armageddon
    • sister 35 - gave my bridal shower - drowning - leaving 3 children - suffered serious depression most of her life - elders told her not to get psychiatric help because it was satanic

I was severely depressed and suicidal most of my life. By end of my time as JW was planning how and when to do it. Decided I didn't want to be dead. I just wanted the pain to stop. So left my husband and JWs and went ands got some real help for my problems. Haven't even thought about suicide as an option since I left.

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

I know of only a few attempts, with none succeeding..

Does anyone have reliable data on the JW suicide numbers?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

(((lady Lee))) thank you for sharing that.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle
    in the 4% of brain that is being used,

KJW, the idea that we only use 10% or less of our brains is a falacy. I know the JWs (and others) have been saying it for years, but it is not true, it is an urban legend.

Believing and promoting urban legends decreases your crediblity.

• sizemik
    sizemik

@GOrwell . . . Does anyone have reliable data on the JW suicide numbers?

Straight answer . . . no. I have read an article which researched mental illness among JW's and found they were 4 times more likely to suicide and 16 times more likely to suffer mental illness (several studies were involved). Figures were considered slightly conservative as JW's were found less likely to reveal their religion to official records in the case of suicide, and less likely to seek traditional medical assistance in the case of mental illness.

As to my experience, I knew personally 12 individuals over 30 years who suicided . . . all ages, both sexes, wide variety of methods.

In the case of 6 of them . . . they were members of the congregation I was in at the time and close friends . . . one I considered my best friend at the time. One extrordinarily fine young man . . . a 17 year old, was my eldest son's best friend and precipitated our exit from the cult.

• Was New Boy
    Was New Boy

Has for the nunbers that have killed themselfs...only god knows.

The silent killer Guilt!....and what does a better job of guilt then religion?

It the class of "67" 40-50 of my class mates when to Viet Nam...no one was killed over there but 5 guys came back and took their own lives....guilt pain....who really knows

They say people that kill themselfs really don't what to die....they just can't continue to live in the "Hell" of what their lives have became.

Peace out

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

I know of one.

He was in his 40's and had a wife & two children in their teens.

He was always feeling persecuted at work for his JW beliefs. He would tell me that he couldn't stand the ridicule from his work mates. I was in my teens and had no idea how to help a 40+ year old with such things... This went on for years, then one day we all find out he jumped in front of a train to end it all.

This thread is quite sad but this subject needs to be spoken about.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Was New Boy said . . .

They say people that kill themselfs really don't what to die....they just can't continue to live in the "Hell" of what their lives have became.

I know this to be very true . . . . and it takes some pondering and serious consideration to fully understand this . . . . to understand just how much "hell" an individual can find themselves in that precipitates such a reaction to it . . . . think about it.

I believe the most shallow statement I've heard is that suicide is 'selfish' . . . how can the elimination of 'self' ever be considered 'selfish'?

The victims of suicide are among the most tragic of losses to us all

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit