How Many JWs Have You known Who Have Commited Suicide?

by Was New Boy 81 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    To make a long story short, one afternoon, she drove up into the Utah Rockies, doused herself in gasoline, and set herself on fire.

All of these stories are sad, but this has to be the worst!

• Quendi
    Quendi

Thank you, unshackled, for your kind words. Even though Tom's loss still hurts, I am a better man for knowing and loving him. Our friendship has benefited everyone else whom I have met and loved since then. That is the best way I can think of to honor his memory. My very best wishes for you and yours.

Quendi

• Quendi
    Quendi

I want to add an epilogue to my story. After my boss talked me out of making my own suicide attempt, she did something else. She got me into therapy. My therapist was a wonderful woman who worked with me for a couple of years. Slowly, gradually, she got me to see that I could make choices about my life. That eventually meant jettisoning aspects of Witness thinking and philosophy that were poisoning me mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

All of this transpired years before my disfellowshipping and eventual decision to never return to the organization. But looking back on it I can see how it laid the foundation for my departure. My therapist never directly criticized the WTS or the religion it has promoted. However, she did get me to realize that I had to challenge the rosy view it presented on the religion's power to solve deep-seated problems. Just as importantly, I discerned that one of the greatest weaknesses the WTS religion has is that it does not provide a real support system for its members.

When we are afraid to talk openly of our doubts, pains, fears, and burdens, then that should be a red flag warning that we are putting ourselves in danger. The WTS actively discourages this, telling its adherents they should instead confess their "sins" to the elders, wait on them to grant some kind of absolution, and then fill their lives with "theocratic activity and prayer" to sort things out. So they advocate using band-aids when real surgery is needed. Is it any wonder, then, that Witnesses suffer so much mental and emotional anguish, or that many choose suicide?

Quendi

• freddo
    freddo

In our cong - one

Oh plus one brought up by a deranged mother and who was abused as a kid by an older boy and who never got baptised but who was removed as "an approved associate" later in his teens (remember that phrase from pre 90's witnessdom?) who got into drugs and booze and later took an overdose - accidental officially but makes me go hmmmmmmm?

And another who never got baptised but whose deranged mother (yes another one) dragged up around the truth and who became a prostitute first.

There is a certain kind of susceptible person that the truth does not help. (understatement)

Also knew of a serious attempt at it but thankfully failed.

• Joliette
    Joliette

My dad's friend and my co-workers father in law committed suicide in 2007. The funeral was at a funeral home. He had bipolar disorder. He truly loved the congregation, but because of the circumstances, the funeral couldnt be at the kingdom hall.

Also my friend that I grew up with who got caught on a 900 sex line at the kingdom hall attempted suicide.

• cskyjw.sun
    cskyjw.sun

when i first joined in i heard of a case of suicide.but no one actually talk about it.later it was my turn to become depressed.i did not commit suicide because i was afraid of the pain.

• Ancientofdays
    Ancientofdays

I know 2 personally, both in my congregation (ex)

The first did nod suceed , and he's now an ex-JW.

The second just 8 months ago.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

sadly 2 guys from our old cong both very good friends of the family,many still failed to get to grips with the tragedy; Steve A in the mid 80's early 20's and Gary H early 90's,went through a dreadful divorce , lost kids his JW wife was DF'ed and came back, both through the exhaust pipe.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I got pretty close when things were so very bad. I know of a couple who'd left their respective partners and committed suicide together after being disfellowshipped.

Loz x

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

i remember another one, he was about 60 years old or so... he also suffered depressions. his dauther, also kind of mentally disturbed, once told me after talking a bit about doubts over the JW faith, that he became an alcoholic over some of these issues. one day at the district convention he walked up to all he cared for to bid farewell. the next day he jumped in front of a train.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit