How Many JWs Have You known Who Have Commited Suicide?

by Was New Boy 81 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
  • jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I've been out for more than 20 years, so I have no contact with jws, family or otherwise. However, I do know one relative of mine who attempted suicide but lived. Her husband found her in time. It's so sad, because she's such a lovely person and struggles with the jw expectations.

• unshackled
    unshackled

This subject is very much on my mind last few days. My little sister (in her late teens) has been struggling with severe depression...she's a cutter...also suffers from bulimia. She's getting therapy help and they've advised to keep a close watch.

A few days ago, she stormed out of the house in another fit...saying she was done, killing herself. She's living with my oldest sister, desperate and under instructions from the therapists, the police were called and they found her....she was uncooperative, so cuffed. She is currently in the psych ward of the hospital. Everything is bolted down type of thing. Seems so surreal to have my little sister in this state....she is just so sad. Feel helpless, want to take her pain away but all you can do is show your love.

Once she is released...then what? Nerve racking.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I know of 3 personally who completed the act, and many who attempted.

Brother "A", father of 3 young children, committed suicide.

Within 2 years, his wife also killed herself.

Within a few years after that, Brother "A''s fleshly brother, Brother"B", committed suicide also.

Of the attempts, they were mainly sisters who suffered with severe depression. But I know of a brother who tried, too. 2 of the attempts I know of, were more than just "cries for help" - they very nearly succeeded.

• sabastious
    sabastious

I knew one.

-Sab

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

Jeff shot himself in the head with his younger sister outside the bedroom door. Ron hurled himself off a bridge into a gorge.

I attempted at 17.

I know many other unsuccessful attempts.

"Contrary to the ways of this unprincipled world, the average Witness spends 17.5 hours each week on religious activities. The Witnesses are obviously spiritually minded. That is what makes them happy."

Awake! 9/8/97 p.11 A People Taught to Love

• sabastious
    sabastious
    "Contrary to the ways of this unprincipled world, the average Witness spends 17.5 hours each week on religious activities. The Witnesses are obviously spiritually minded. That is what makes them happy."

I tried to tell myself this for far too long, far too long.

-Sab

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

I grew up with one who committed suicide last year. The funeral was in the KH. One was several years ago, he was a pioneer and had given a part on the CA abou the blessings of reg. pioneering. Another was about 4 years ago. Her husband was an elder and within one year, he married my ex-wife.......He remained an elder even as his wife committed suicide while he was at the assembly.

Sad.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Two in our congregation within the last few years. Both women, both hanged themselves at home, awful.

• recovering
    recovering

I know of one and it will haunt me for the rest of my life. It was a ministerial servent who had lost his wife in child birth, due to the witness stance on blood transfusions. He was praised for his faithfullness. Years later this man finally figured out that the witnesses where full of crap. The guilt he felt for allowing his soul mate to martyr herself was to much for him. He apologized to his children in a note and took his own life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit