Are You Going To the Memorial?

by headisspinning 83 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I can't see myself not attending. I don't know what else to do.
    I would feel horrible not to go.
    I don't know where I'm going to land and if I had to look back and think I didn't go... well, I would feel awful.

Although it would be nice to know what path to take now, in reality Armageddon is not coming this year (or next or etc....) so if you don't know what to do yet, GO. Oh, I can give you reasons not to go, and you can decide. But if it's causing you all kinds of stress right now, figure it out by next year.

Finish reading Crisis of Conscience, ask more questions as you have time. While it might work for some, most don't stop being a JW overnight.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

You've only had Crisis of Conscience for a couple days. Finish the book and then think about this question some more.

Also, I would recommend NOT making a decision based on a negative emotion such as fear or guilt. Those are tools used by cults to control people. You have a WONDERFUL opportunity to just BE FREE and never look back.

And finally, think about this in regard to the Memorial. You are DFd. NOBODY wants you there. So what is your reason for wanting to attend?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I last attended this wastefest in 2005. In 2006, I bought a Ouija board the day of the REJECT Jesus Party. And I didn't attend one since.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Exwhyzee, that is such a sad ironic story. I just read it to my husband who went to the memorial last year. I asked him if he was going this year, the answer was an immediate "no". NMKA

• serendipity
    serendipity

The price of keeping my family is attending the Memorial. I can make the sacrifice once a year.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The last memorial I went to was in 1989. I have no plans of ever attending another one and I don't miss it. Since the bOrg's memorial is really for the 144,000 why should I or anyone who is not anointed (by bOrg's interpretation) go?

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

No way! Last time I attended anything JW was memorial in 2003 after I'd been out for a couple of years. It was because of wondering if I had made the right decision to leave. Now I'm positive the right decision was made! The only JW connection I have today is this board. It enables me to see what I am not missing.

HappyDad

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

What? Go to the Reject Jesus talk? No thanks.

• skywho
    skywho

NO!

• zarco
    zarco

xyz - that is a powerful post. I am so sorry for the awful behavior you and your son experienced.

Headspinning - I think Sizemilk hit the nail on the head. We are conditioned to think missing a memorial is a big thing. When you get to a better place without some of the emotion and hurt it will be easy to miss the goofed up celebration of something (certainly not anything biblical). For now, I understand how difficult it is to miss. I am missing my first memorial this year and am really happy to be at this place in life. It took me too long to get here.

Best,

zarco

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit