How do you feel about the pledge of allegiance now?

by SweetBabyCheezits 101 Replies latest jw friends

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

Do you have a problem using a currency that says "In God we Trust"...

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

It's government property. As long as I'm not asked to recite it, I'll still use it. But do I think it's ridiculous? Yes. What if it said "In Thor We Trust"? I'd still use it and I'd still think it was ridiculous.

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

zeroday - that's not even closely related. Straw man. Fallacy. Whatever - Just wrong direction that has nothing to with the chants of allegiance.

• zeroday*
    zeroday*

If it could still buy me a 6 back doesn't matter to me...and just so you don't misunderstand me I'm an Atheist also and I have no problem with the pledge...

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

And that's fine. Not having a problem with the pledge, is an individual choice you've made after you've thought it through. You likely would have a problem with the nazi pledge I take it - even if you were living in WW2 era Germany?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    .and just so you don't misunderstand me I'm an Atheist also and I have no problem with the pledge...

I gotcha. For us, the issue doesn't boil down to a simple lack of belief in god, though. JNFB makes that point quite well.

• zarco
    zarco

SBC -

You sound like a great dad. We did our best to raise our daughter to question, to be brave, to stand up for and choose her own beliefs and other than a few times when I was afraid for her, she turned out to be a wonderful young woman. If I can make a suggestion, I would share this "thread" with her and the responses and listen to her thinking on it. Would love to hear what she has to say.

Best,

zarco

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

SBC is an aweswome dad - he gives his kids pet dinosaurs! It doesn't get better than that!

• zoiks
    zoiks

I honestly hadn't looked at it from your perspective, SBC; nor had I given it as much thought as you obviously have. When we started our fade, we talked to the kids about one or two things at a time; when the flag salute came up, we just let them know that we were ok with whatever made them comfortable. As it turns out, our middle child had been participating all along- she has always had a mind of her own. Our oldest child was not comfortable with it, and we supported her in that. She does participate now, and we really have no problem with it.

The "under god" part is mildly annoying, though.

Oh, a little off topic- "my country, right or wrong" has been taken out of context and misquoted for a long time now. A pity.

• cyberjesus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit