How do you feel about the pledge of allegiance now?

by SweetBabyCheezits 101 Replies latest jw friends

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

For you US citizens (and those whose nations have a similar patriotic oath), how do you feel about your children saying the pledge in school if it's customary?

My daughter is in 3rd grade and part of her school's morning routine includes the pledge. When we stopped attending meetings a year ago, my wife and I explained to her that we don't agree with the JW "idolatry" classification so, naturally, she started joining her class in the pledge.

Fast forward to the present: My wife and I are both non-theists who want to raise ethical, caring, tolerant children, but also children who aren't afraid to stand apart, especially when that stand isn't popular. The more my daughter gets pulled towards pop culture and conformity, the more I want her to develop critical thinking skills and the courage to go against the herd.

This makes for a tricky situation. I don't want her to be mocked and ridiculed for being different but I also don't want her to be pressured into joining in the pledge. Honestly, I kinda detest the thought of the flag salute & pledge of allegiance being pushed on kids at all but not because it's idolatrous. There are plenty of other reasons.

To me, it’s like a form of brainwashing, though not necessarily effective. Do elementary school kids really understand what they’re saying when they recite the pledge?? Pressuring children chant some oath every day isn’t the brightest way to build appreciation for their country's freedoms, is it?

Then there’s the phrase “under God” (which, by the way, was only added to the pledge in the 1950's). Ironic in a country that prides itself on diversity and freedom of belief, the national pledge, by default, limits the pledger to a monotheistic view.

"Oh, but it's what the flag stands for - justice and freedom!"

Not to everyone. Besides, symbol meanings evolve over time. The swastika didn't originate with Nazism, that's just the current Western view of it. If I want my kids to recite some pledge to liberty and justice, then I’ll they can write a pledge to liberty and justice. But I don’t make patriotic vows of “my country, right or wrong” and I certainly don’t want my kids to do so.

Of course, I wouldn't just up and tell my kid to STOP this practice because it's bad. My goal is to build critical thinking so that she arrives at her own well-informed conclusion. Then if she makes a stand, it'll be due to her own convictions. (Of course, deep down I hope she'll see it the same way.)

But maybe I'm overthinking (or underthinking) this. Any thoughts?

• sabastious
    sabastious

"under God" part irks the hell out of me.

-Sab

• sinis
    sinis

I love my country but am hestitant on my government...

• sabastious
    sabastious
    To me, it’s like a form of brainwashing, though not necessarily effective. Do elementary school kids really understand what they’re saying when they recite the pledge?? Pressuring children chant some oath every day isn’t the brightest way to build appreciation for their country's freedoms, is it?

I'm going to explain to my son what he's actually saying and how silly it really is. I plan on helping him realize that it's not a big deal to say it or not say it and it's what he thinks about it that counts. It's not like we live in a country that will hang you for not pledging allegiance to the country, so he's free to express himself. I look forward to my son's thoughts on the matter.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    But maybe I'm overthinking (or underthinking) this. Any thoughts?

Absolutely not, you can't overthink these things. That being said you can oversay them or overreact when you hear about her actually pledging allegiance.

-Sab

• james_woods
    james_woods

I have no problem with it, including the "under God" thing. It is really just a saying - sort of like "God bless you" if you sneeze or something happens. Sort of like a lot of western/English law is somewhat based on the ten commandments, or people may swear an oath on a Bible.

I never understood, even as an active witness, why this was ever a religious issue.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    There are plenty of other reasons

Are these reasons important enough to make make your child a source of ridicule? Does your child understand their importance? It's possible they may care more about not being mocked or ridiculed then about whatever your objections to the pledge of allegiance may be.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    It is really just a saying

I don't see it that way. I see it as an oath. A pledge. And standing and placing a hand over one's heart only adds to the brainwash feeling. (Though it's better than the original salute.)

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I have no problem with it, including the "under God" thing. It is really just a saying - sort of like "God bless you" if you sneeze or something happens. Sort of like a lot of western/English law is somewhat based on the ten commandments, or people may swear an oath on a Bible.

You are right, the lanaguage isn't that heavy. Even though, it's still a nagging pet peeve for me.

-Sab

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

I agree with you completely SBC. I'm trying to work that out myself. Also, my children have dual citizenship - so which flag should they salute????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit