So me, of all people, had a religious experience

by sabastious 363 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I know - silly to think an all-powerful guy would just work sentimental mind games that you have to decide are coincidence or not. No real help for all those kids just born in that island he made just so he could cover it in a big 10 day long tidal wave. Silly humans.

I have been thinking a lot about this topic. I think there is a perfectly logical explanation for it, now. I used to make the same argument and probably still will in certain situations. But this experience has changed my perspective and that is exciting.

One logical explanation would be that I have to know that a power outside of this world exists before I can be fully utilized by it. Daming this experience in the name of starving children is a stretch because this very well could be an attempt to save the starving children. I know the second I have enough money I want to help people in different countries that need aid. This experience could very well shape my time line and turn me down a more productive path.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Why should God (if there is one) be providing hungry people with food and water when that's well within the capabilities of people if the would just cooperate and do it?

Also what if God were to provide food for the kids? Then the world would be forever changed and all future generations would expect help from God and ignore the children entirely. Feeding kids now might starve more kids in the future from God's perspective; teach a man to fish comes to mind.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Oscar Wilde is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I'll have to remember that.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    From a sceptic POW, you should count yourself very lucky.

I definitely do consider myself lucky. This world can be confusing and the more data the better.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I apologize for my dogmatic tone.

I don't remember you having a dogmatic tone. I liked what you had to say.

-Sab

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Feeding kids now might starve more kids in the future from God's perspective; teach a man to fish comes to mind.

Apparently it doesn't come to God's mind.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Before I drop off this thread, though, please check out this link to the Ghost in the Machine PDF when you get a chance.

Downloaded, I will put it on my reading list.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    As it shows, even the sharpest inquiring mind can be stumped by strange, unexplained events.

I think that's because emotions are not explainable with rational thought so when it happens to a staunch critical thinker they are spellbound.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Apparently it doesn't come to God's mind.

I think if God exists his contact with humans is a slippery slope. You give them one miracle and they start killing people again. Believe it or not, maybe this is humanity's best effort at the moment. God can't solve our problems for us because once he does he would have to solve them forever and we would become hamsters.

-Sab

• Curtains
    Curtains

Hi sab

what is a sentimental hand in poker?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit