Were you 'alive in '75' and how was that year for you?

by punkofnice 179 Replies latest jw experiences

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Of course the WTS. never admitted that F Franz came up with the 6000 year dating calculation

from reading old WTS. literature, that would really be telling "The Truth"

A blatant lie that sold millions in books and magazines.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I remember one brother long since dead, decided he could take out a loan he had no hope in hell of paying back because 1975 would be armageddon(TM).

Another brother sold up his home and lived in a caravan because 1975 would be paradise(TM).

................and still the watchtower(R) looks on, heartless, uncaring and still power and money hungry.

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Anticlimactic. I remember thinking that if they were wrong about 1975, maybe the generation teaching was wrong, too. I calculated in my head how long I would give the 'generation'. I thought that if it wasn't going to come, possibly around 2010, they would probably back track on the generation teaching. I also thought about my later years of life and how I would probably be in crisis if the end didn't come. I've never been so disappointed in being right in my life!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

4thgen - There were lots of calculations from varied bro's & sis's. I think someone commented it was also calculated at 1984. Ugh! The life of a born in is crappy.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Your spirituality was judged based upon the committment of your belief in 1975.

I also remember during the early 1970s the rumor was spread that 1975 was too conservative. Things would be wrapped up long before then. And, who cannot forget the rumor that vultures or other birds of prey were multiplying at a rate much higher that prior periods. This of course proved that god was setting the stage for the massive clean up work after the big A.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

NY44M -

I also remember during the early 1970s the rumor was spread that 1975 was too conservative.

Strewth. I don't remember that. No surprises though!

• bigmac
    bigmac

i remember --back in 74--an attempt was made to get me back into the cult--a bruv offered to come and discuss things with me. after a couple of visits he told me he had bought a newer car on HP--because he would never have to meet the payments. that finished any further visits.

i later heard he went on to be a circuit servant. anyone heard of him--?---Michael Ganderton.

i further recall visiting his sister--in january 76. we had a laugh over it all.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

1975 for all tense and purposes was a deliberate marketing strategy taken on by the WTS.

to heighten even more more awareness that mankind was indeed living in its last days.

People's spirituality was determined and measured in how faithful they were to this

assertion, put out by the WTS. and how loyal they were to their established power . ......... I wasn't

They positioned and created themselves as sheppards and everyone else was either their stupid controlled

sheep or evil wordily people who opposed that assertion from inside or outside of the organization .

The WTS previously for years prior to 1975 stated there was visible and apparent signs of

the end times and Jesus Christ did position himself on his throne in 1914, that mankind was indeed

seeing all things coming to past and God's judgment day was soon.

All very good elements to be utilized in this fear mongering, propagated by a religious publishing house

operating at its core.

It was quite enough for my mother back in the early 50's when she was 20 years old with two kids on her arm.

1914 will most likely be eventually dropped out of the WTS/JWS doctrinal base and probably once again

devout JWS will not be overtly disturbed like previous doctrines that couldn't hold itself up to being factual.

Its all a matter of just how much the WTS. teachings goes into the minds and hearts of the ignorant and

unsuspecting general public, fear is the biggest psychological imprint the WTS utilizes to not only attract

attention to its literature but also in retaining people for exploitation in its literature proliferation agenda.

That set about fear mongering unfortunately continues to this day .......

• kaik
    kaik

As Finkel had said, WT will drop 1914 entirely and will deny that had ever mentioned Jesus return in that year. Many JW will node will not worry about it, because it is a new light. The issue for GB and WT is to find another resonable date, and model various date calculation to it. I do not think they will drop it until 2034.

Unfortunatelly, I was too small to remember 1975, only remember huge disappointment of my sybling to go to school inn 1976 who felt that my aunt was lying to her. But I do remember excitement in KH around 1989 when some JW thought that it was 70 years after selection of the bride (the organization) , hence the Armageddon was about to happen.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Were you 'alive in '75' and how was that year for you?

I had 6 girlfriends that year and they all dumped me.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit