Were you 'alive in '75' and how was that year for you?

by punkofnice 179 Replies latest jw experiences

• meangirl
    meangirl

That is true Violia He did get to second base but was afraid of being zapped by Jah all in the same day LOL Really though Rebel8's story is very sad.

• JRK
    JRK

I never felt that I was "good" enough to survive athe big A. I graduated High School in '74. In 1975 I bought a new Trans Am, which help my profile with the ladies. One of my big fears was that I would not get a chance to get laid before my eminant death at Armageddon. It eventually happened with my first wife (needless to say, it didn't last).

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I was 20 years old, began the year working as a truck driver - and finished the year as a "regular pioneer", as the JWs like to call those who peddle their literature on a full time basis.

We all got to hear a tape recording of FW Franz's February 10 speech about the significance of 1975, within days of it being given in L.A.

- including his escape clause i.e. the time lag between Adam's creation and that of Eve's.

This did not in any way dampen the excitement being felt by the Witnesses about the date. In the years leading up to 1975, I never heard anybody express reservations about the significance of 1975 - to have done so would have got you branded as "immature" - that ubiquitous JW swearword!.

They also had that bible verse about Armeggedon happening "at a time least expected" covered:

- that statement, we were assured, only applied to "those in the world." Those of us in "The Truth" were privy to special information that the"Worldlies" did not have.

I particularly remember one elder being convinced that the set of tires on his car would last "until Armeggedon" (which he imagined was about six months off). I sure hope he did replace those tires at some point, or they would be looking very bald by now!

Whatever the apologists would have people believe now, the WTS did make a big thing about 1975, and the rank and file Witnesses took it up with great gusto.

PS: According to Raymond Franz, it would seem that the Governing Body also fell for this story. In Crisis of Conscience, he admitted to feelings of excitement about 1975 and the end of the system. As for his uncle (not brother, as some have stated) i.e. Frederick Franz, it would not at all surprize me if the deluded bloody fool actually believed his own propaganda (or came to believe it, as often happens with persons whose minds are not quite right).

Bill.

• JRK
    JRK

Eve,

The biotch is getting old,

JK

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

Flipper

TOTALLY ADD- I find it interesting that your sons in law ( I imagine they are what ? 25 to 40 yrs.of age possibly ? ) can say that 1975 " was not as
    big a deal as it was made out to be " . Incredible. Well- they just have been told different by current WT society publications or leaders

My husband TotallyADD did not mean sons-in-law. He meant our daughter-in-law's parents. They are our age, mid fifties, so were definitely alive in '75. Sorry for the misunderstanding but this is what ADD does to one. ADD stands for Attention Deficit Syndrome.

Reopened Mind

• streets76
    streets76

In the summer of '75, I was 17 years old and living a double-life, having just scraped together $375 to buy a ragged out 1966 Dodge Charger, trying desperately to get laid before the proverbial shit and fan meeting scheduled for October of that year (per F. Franz).

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

A sister I know that is close to her 60's now recounted her time of being alive during '75. Her unbelieving father got tired of hearing her talk about the end at that time and finally asked, "...and what if it doesn't come? What will you do them?"
    She said, "Dad, if they are wrong and it doesn't come, I will stop being a witness."
    Fast forward 36 years and two kids later, she's still a witness. Apparently, she never told her father WHEN she would stop.
    Amazingly enough, he is still NOT a believer or witness, yet she on the other hand seems to have an unshakeable faith in the org and it's illustrative FDS.
    My words if I were him, "Sweetheart, give it up already. Look, they were wrong about you not growing old too."

It's great hearing people's experiences about this time because I wasn't even alive to undergo it. Yet it really bothers me that so many fell for it. A dream, a crock. Ah, same thing.

CoC

• life is to short
    life is to short

I was 12 years old. 1975 was all I knew growing up. The elders hated my parents and from what I could understand at the meetings Jehovah was going to kill all the kids of parents he hated. If the elders hated my parents then Jehovah must hate them also as He was the one who put them in their power.

So I thought I was going to be dead in 1975. I had thought that for as long as I could remember. Looking back it was so sad that I lived my first 12 years of life with a death sentence haning on my head. Those first years of my life were like a living hell.

LITS

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Here is a video and audio of Fred Franz at an Assembly introducing the Life Ever Lasting book.

As its been noted before the working underlining agenda of the WTS. is to sell books and literature.

So loosely devising and creating dates to enhance the publics interest is what people like Fred Franz and

all the other presidents/editors of the WTS. have done. Franz's chronological dating system is wrought full

inaccuracies and improbabilities, that there too many to mention. But to him I suppose it was enough to create a point

of believability to the rest of the JWS followers and perhaps toward the public as well.

The executive editors of the WTS publishing company realized what it took to stir interest toward their publications.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqGRgKSS64A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaXbBVVoeEQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy1E7mIqth4&feature=related

• The Finger
    The Finger

1975 was an alright year 1976 was better. If Armageddon had come in the Autumn of 75. I never would have had one of the best years of my life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit