Were you 'alive in '75' and how was that year for you?

by punkofnice 179 Replies latest jw experiences

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Very interesting comments about N Knorr. I heard rumors that suggested he did not buy into the company line, but I never had this articulated as well as in this thread.

Thanks to all for these comments.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

When I was newly converted (1969) I truly believed that 75 would be it. By 1975 however I wasn't sure, it seemed the Society was all ready back pedaling. I was pregnant with my first child, that was my focus. Since the world seemed to be spinning along just fine, it was hard to imagine it ending anytime soon. I certainly did not stock pile food or anything like that. I was well conditioned at that point, so I accepted their explanation that "some" went ahead in thinking that 1975 was it. Who that was was never spelled out, I guess they blamed everybody for thinking what they wanted us to think, that the world was ending.

Looking back its crazy that more people didn't leave because they made such erroneous prediction, but I guess that is what happens when you are in a cult. I still thought Armageddon was coming, but the longer it went on the less real it seemed. I still stayed in for another 24 years

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I believe this is President of the WTS. Nathan Knorr speaking, could be wrong though.

With that kind of talk no wonder there was so much fear and anxiety among JWS at the time.

The WTS. knew exactly what they were doing.

What makes matters worse is the WTS. under C T Russell used this 6000 year scam

70 years earlier. Indulgent corruption you say !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtUKrupWHiQ

• creativespirit
    creativespirit

Don't let anyone tell you they didn't say the Big A was coming in 1975. They absolutely did.

I left in 1976.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Lakes.... I totally identified with your comment....having lived thru 75 as a teenager.

Finkl .... I believe that is charles sinutko (forgive the spelling if wrong). This is genuine audio from his tallk at an a$$emb£y....he was some high ranking geezer in the filthy jw cult.

Creativespirit...you got it in one

So where's billythekid46 gone with commenrs off topic, that made didn't seem coherent, had shouty bits in and never really told us what thereason for saying them was. I call troll on this one.

• tiki
    tiki

Alive in 75 - yep.

Truth book BS's - large increases in numbers - mainly 20 somethings who were straightening out from drugs and VietNam problems........

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I remember the Truth Book campaign where we were only to study for six months. The time was too short to prolong a study beyond that time.

• Jazzbo
    Jazzbo

I knew people that quit their jobs and pioneered, people that moved across the country to serve where the need was great, some that put off medical treatment, a few that maxed out every credit card they could lay their hands on. Never bought into it myself and was roundly criticised for not being on the band wagon by quite a few. Interesting that those people that were so critical had a complete memory lapse about the whole thing after a couple of years had passed. No question that the date was consistently preached from the platform, especially at conventions and assemblies, even though they were a little more careful in print.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w69 5/1 p. 288 Announcements ***

Jehovah’s witnesses are keenly interested in helping all persons who wish to get more faith. To do this, they offer a free home Bible-study course of six months, using as an aid for such Bible discussion the book The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life.

*** w69 5/15 pp. 309-310 Have You Been Studying for Six Months? ***

Yes, six months of study using a book that so pointedly reasons with them is ample time for them to decide whether they want to do something about what they have learned.

This is not saying that six months is all that you need to learn all about Jehovah God’s purposes and requirements. No, it will take much longer than that; we will always be learning new things about our heavenly Father. (Rom. 11:33) However, after six months of regular weekly study a person ought to know whether he really wants to live in harmony with what he has learned from the Bible. Yes, he has laid a fine foundation upon which to base his decision.

In view of the short time left in which to do their work, Jehovah’s witnesses do not continue to study the Bible with any who fail to respond to its urgent message within six months. The nearness of this system’s end compels them to use their time in the most effective way possible. So they feel obligated to spend their time calling on someone else who might respond by attending meetings at the Kingdom Hall and by speaking to others about the Bible truths learned. Thus it may be that if you have not as yet responded by even becoming a regular attender at some of the congregation meetings, the one who is studying the Bible with you may cancel that study arrangement in order to give his time to someone else. This arrangement is not meant to be harsh, but the urgency of the times in which we live demands it. There are millions of persons who need spiritual help and God’s servants want to reach all they possibly can.

• lrkr
    lrkr

I was 4. My brother was 2. My parents tell stories of the congo giving them shit about having 2 kids so close to Armageddon. They were part of the 20 somethings that converted about 1972 after Vietnam, etc. Dad was finishing up a degree and they gave him trouble over that too.

But they kept with it- and always used 1975 as an example of why you shouldnt be "unbalanced" in the truth.

Unfortunately- that moderate approach to the org. makes a clean break more difficult for them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit