Were you 'alive in '75' and how was that year for you?

by punkofnice 179 Replies latest jw experiences

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

I was only 7....still I feel that anxiety that the end was just around the corner....I'm now in my mid 40's and the end is still around the corner

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

I was alive. I was a one year old. It was terrifying.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

In '75 I was 16 and a disappointed young woman to say the least. I was supposed to be in the new order. I had always envisioned my 16th birthday in the new order.

I can still remember a particular morning during that summer, I woke up to with the birds chirping and the sun shining. My heart started beating and I rushed to the window. My stupid gullibe self though Armagheddon had come during the night and we were in the new system.

When half the year went by, I didn't give up hope, I thought that it would surely come in the fall. After all didn't everything happen in the fall? But the fall came and went and then I just put all my disappointment behind me.

In the back of my mind the society had made a little mistake and it would surely come in 1976. Nothing happened-- Then for some crazy reason i threw myself in the "troof" activities and couldn't wait to finish high school so I could start pioneering.

There was a family that had sold their home the year prior so they could" live out the rest of their days in work of the kingdom". When 75 came and went so did they and the whole family left. They were the smart ones who woke up early. It would take me 27 year to 2002 to fully realize what a farce the organization was.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The JW organization is just another organization of religious charlatans that not only sells and

commercializes their products to the public they also coerce people to distribute these pieces

of literature to the public themselves, guised up as preaching the Gospel of the bible.

Thats smart marketing particularly when you add in judgment day is coming soon to mixture.

"Stay alive til 75" ..... if that isn't prodigious fear mongering I dont know what is.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

And Yes many many elders preached the end would come in 1975. Round my parts, we had old Brother Scaglioni who gave a talk with K Little of Canadian branch and yes they intimated that the end would come in 75

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

My husband told me just today ( an actual calm matter of fact, short, no anger conversation ....amazing) Anyway, he said "This area" didn't preach the 1975 ending and didn't believe it. No one sold houses etc....I asked how could that be possible when the WT, Awake, other pubs,and conventions putting people on stage that sold thier homes while praising them for their strong faith, were all claiming it? I wondered aloud to him if it was in their preaching materials how could they not "preach" or believe it? He had no answer after that of course. I then dropped it. Denial once again.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The two most important things the WTs trys to accomplish is sell and proliferate its published goods and

to control people to their designated desire, which is again concerning making people into the

organization's devoted sales representatives.

Its exploitation and manipulation by leaders of a publishing house utilized by religious beliefs.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I was 9 in 1975. I remember a lot of feelings from then, some conversations, some situations. Basically, there was a sense of fearful anticipation. My mom was not baptised yet (couldn't quit smoking for the life of her!) and my dad was a non believer. However, I was raised to understand that I was a JW from my earliest memory.

Disappointment and confusion in 1976. Several families disappeared (or parts of them), others became those folks that just show up for the memorial and maybe an afternoon of the assemblies.

Mostly, I remember years later when we did the mea culpa WT study in the early 80's. An elder told us some truths about his memory while we were in a youth meeting. Poor Brother North. . . he soon relocated far north of the congregation he had been in for my whole life. I think he was run out. I know that the youth WT mtgs were stopped right after that. The truth destroyed him-he finally spoke it and he was deleted.

I had been getting skeptical since I was 8 or 9. I had kind of a "show me the money" attitude. . . and the more I investigated, the more I realized how speculative their statements were. FORTUNATELY, I was a bookworm and my mom had the entire library of WT materials right at hand (until sometime in the 80s when she got rid of all her old WTs. . I imagine at the behest of the 'brothers' ) We had just about every book. They were NUTS.

I left when I was 15 and they all liked to chalk it up to teenage rebelliousness. It wasn't. I left because they were not only wrong (I could actually handle being wrong) but they were mean and arrogant and self righteous while they were flat out wrong.

Michelle

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Question People. Why did not Knorr stop Freddie? I know he did not do theology. If a female teenager knew it was going to be an embarassment, how could Nathan Knorr believe Freddie's calculations? Both had to know the long history of failed predictions. Jesus says no one will know the hour but Franz knew the month. There had to be major discussions at Bethel.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Perhaps Knorr trusted Franz on his theology and just went along in agreement to proceed.

Or he was in cohorts in the scam and agreed that it could heighten literature sales.

By the way in case people don't know F Franz was anointed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit