The story of Punkofnice. It was the 'Overlapping' that finally got me out!

by punkofnice 57 Replies latest jw experiences

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Why I am now a faded ‘apostate’ after the ridiculous ‘Overlapping’ teaching!

I was raised in the ‘troooOOooOooth’ and both my parents were pioneers. Over the years I pioneered, was an MS and finally an Elder. I had always felt there was something unusual about how the leader or leaders (depending on who was the president), always boasted about themselves. However, I dismissed this as me being overly critical. After all the mind control and parental guidance had lead me to believe I was lucky enough to be born into the one true religion.

Cut a long and really boring story short. Fast forward to me in my 50’s. I have a family with teenage children and a wife with chronic fatigue syndrome. CFS was something I had repeatedly seen in JW women but never thought it to be unusual.

As an Elder I saw how unloving and machine like the micromanagement of the leaders were. I only ever saw ‘conditional’ love which often bordered on elitist hatred. Something stirred at the back of my mind. Why am I not allowed to show the love like Jesus showed to the ‘flock’ apart from ‘Watchtower policy’ as written in countless secret letters to the body of Elders?

One thing I thought was disturbing was how we as Elders were told that in ‘Judicial Committees’ the decision on how to treat the ‘wrongdoer’ was from Jehovah himself via his ‘Holy Spirit’. OK. Fair enough I thought. It troubled me how we gave the verdict of the ‘Holy Spirit’ from an infallible God but then the ‘wrongdoer’ was given 7 days to appeal. Was Jehovah about to say: ‘Ooops, sorry, I got it wrong!’ No! This didn’t figure. I heard the explanation that it was the ‘Holy Spirit’ in the sense that we read the Bible during the JC. Nonsensical!

One day I was taking a walk out and watched cars driving under a bridge. I wondered what was the use of ‘the field service’ as I could never reach all these people but Jehovah was about to slaughter them. It didn’t take long for me to figure out something was wrong with the elitist stand of the Watchtower organization.

I decided to read the Bible and study it outside of Watchtower stipulations and interpretations. I couldn’t figure out why we were told that most of the New Testament was written exclusively for the 144,000 anointed ones and yet some of the verses were adverts to place Watchtower publications. I started with a KJV and considered the works of such Bible scholars as William Barclay. The Bible started to make sense without the Watchtower’s confusing tangle of often conflicting interpretation.

You’ll probably laugh but the turning point for me was the ‘Overlapping Contemporaries’ as the new explanation for the ever changing ‘Generations’ explanation. It occurred to me that if Armageddon didn’t come for 100 years the leaders would simply say: ‘Armageddon isn’t here because the ‘overlapping’ is still happening. See? We were right!’

If Armageddon came or not the Governing Body has their backsides covered either way.

I decided to read ‘Combating Cult Mind Control’ by Steven Hassan. After all this was his journey from the Moonies so couldn’t be labelled ‘Apostate’. To date I haven’t got beyond chapter 4. It was all I needed. I have been deprogramming since then.

Sadly, although I announced my feelings to my family, my wife and daughter think that Satan has got to me and they look forward to my return to the cult they themselves are trapped in.

My wife will not allow me to comment on the Watchtower organization and shows me the hand if I say anything she feels is critical. She, however, still drops little ‘witnessy’ hints about the usual stuff. World conditions, ‘worldly’ people being bad yadda yadda yadda. I just smile and don’t comment much, it isn’t worth it. Her Borganization forcefield goes up and no matter what I present, however logical, however scriptural she refuses to see.

SO here I am and the journey has only been a year long so far.

I started secretly attending a Church and found the people there so much more loving than the JW’s I’d grown up with. I wasn’t attacked by Satan and Demons didn’t invade my head.

Where am I now?

Right now I no longer know what I believe. Is there a God? I don’t know! Is there an afterlife? I don’t know! Are Jehovah’s witnesses the one true religion? NO! Now that I do know for sure!!!!

• dozy
    dozy

Thanks for sharing. I know there is much disquiet amongst JWs about the multi-generation overlapping teaching , especially from the older ones. It does buy the WTBTS another seventy years.

Sorry about your wife. ME / fybromyalgia (sp) seems to be endemic amongst JWs , especially sisters.

• nugget
    nugget

Thank you for sharing your story. It is difficult when you have people you love still influenced by the organisation. My hisband exited mentally first and tried to share with me all he was discovering but I was initially resistent since I suspected those damn apostates had got to him and that he wasn't being honest with himself. I found that it was not doctrine but facts that got to me in the end, Since doctrine can always be sidestepped with imperfect men and new light arguments but facts are troubling and undeniable. A person has to be ready to hear otherwise you might just as well talk to a brick wall.

It takes courage to walk away but on the outside you are in a better position to help as you have already led the way.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Punk, nice story and thank you for sharing! I had a similar experiance with Hassens book... A dear friend from jw.net recommended it... Prior to reading i was having panic attacks and all manor of trouble with leaving... Read that and it made so much sense much of my anxiety is gone... No fear of Jehovah destroying me at the big A... Best thing anyone leaving could do.

Many on this site recomend it (onthewayout comes to mind) and i am joing their ranks. A must read for newbies :-)

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks Punkofnice !

Personal accounts like yours are so poweful for lurkers and newbies to read, and they are not made-up works of fiction like the WT "experiences" !

Life is already good for you, you have questions you can ask,and any answers you are given you can question, and you have the certain knowledge that the JW/WT religion is totally wrong.

All the best for the future, and I hope you are able to free your family soon.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Nice to 'cyber' meet you folks.

I doubt Mrs Punk will ever leave the cult. She simply REFUSES to allow me to speak anything Watchtower related.

I had hoped that my leaving would be a stepping stone for the rest of the family to leave. It didn't pan out. I dare not hope..........the Borg destroyed all the hope I ever had by giving false hope. when your delusions are gone...WOW!

• Heaven
    Heaven

Sadly, although I announced my feelings to my family, my wife and daughter think that Satan has got to me and they look forward to my return to the cult they themselves are trapped in.

punkofnice, thank you for sharing your story. Mad Sweeney was successful in extracting his family. You may want to PM him on his strategy or check out his posts if you have time.

I was 12 years old in 1975. The failure of the Bothctower's prophecy of the arrival of Armageddon was overshadowed by the death of my maternal grandmother. Our whole family was in mourning. I am 47 now and I still miss her.

As I progressed into my teens, many things did not sit right with me, not only with the JW doctrines but also with the Bible itself. I knew I couldn't be a JW. I never voiced this to my parents; I just started pointing out issues, which of course, they didn't like. Finally, about 2 years ago, I told my Dad specifically "I am not going to be a Jehovah's Witness". You'd think he woulda figured that out.

My parents did not dedicate themselves until after we kids had all grown up and moved out so I was lucky in many ways. I never got baptized and I never went in "Field Serve-Us" (I asked my Mom to show me the scripture that specifically states that handing out Watchtower and Awake! magazines ensures my eternal life. She was unable to do so.)

My parents wasted years waiting on Jehovah's new system that never came. It is never coming. Live your life because one day, you will wake up and it will be almost over. "Get busy living."

Thanks again for joining JWN punkofnice and for sharing your experiences with us. Hope you can keep on doing so.

• im stuck in
    im stuck in

Thanks punkofnice. It's good to hear your story though sad like mine I face the exact same issues each day. But have faith it does get better. Interestingly enough I have been reading a book by Robert lanza "Biocentrism" though I am 3/4 through it It has changed my thinking about many of the questions you have. Drop a pm if you are interested in discussing such things. Though I have read your posts before welcome and again it does get easier. stuck in

• Giordano
    Giordano

Thanks for your story! My own story about losing my religion can be found by 'searching' my name. It took place in the 1960's......... been out for 40 years.

I think there are a number of JW's who don't have a really defined belief. Other reasons keep them in like family and/or being raised as a witness. The social life for many is as important as any other factor. Then there is fear. A lot of people need to believe.....in something. Not believing makes them uncomfortable so it's easier to put up with the stuff they may not care for then getting out.

The family issue you describe is always troubling. My wife and I each had fathers who were not believer's. I am convinced that experiencing our fathers point of view (neither had any stronge religious convictions...both were decent loving people) made it much easier for us to walk away.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, thanks for sharing. I have a JW wife that is not likely to leave soon, my mother too. I very well relate to your story. Steve Hassan's first book was my first anti-cult book, but I had read some internet stuff before that. It sang to me about how WTS is just another dangerous mind-control cult. My problem was with the 1995 change in "generation" but I stuck around another decade. I would not have been able to swallow the 2008 flip from "wicked" generation to "anointed" generation, and certainly could not have stayed in the cong. with 2010's "overlap." I, too, am faded. I don't talk to them, I don't attend any sessions at all. Very similar.

If Armageddon came or not the Governing Body has their backsides covered either way.

I see that with most of their stuff. I see your point here, but it's also: if things are good in the world, it's Satan luring people away from the truth. If things are bad in the world, it's a part of the sign of the end. If disaster strikes, it's just as Jehovah says (even though He doesn't say anything about tsunamis and hurricanes). Economic turmoil is the fulfillment of prophesy about "throwing money in the streets." Every last thing is "proof" they are right. That's all being a JW is about, being right while everyone else is wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit