The story of Punkofnice. It was the 'Overlapping' that finally got me out!

by punkofnice 57 Replies latest jw experiences

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Due to PUNK giving notice of moving on, it's time to bump his story.

It sounds all too familiar.

Punk, thanks for the 2+ years of reinforcement.

Doc

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I thought I'd just bump this for the newbies. It illustrates to me how the WBT$ bring in another of their mentally deranged 'new light(tm)' scenarios and more wake up and leave.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Thanks for sharing punkofnice, i love reading awakening stories.

Right now I no longer know what I believe. Is there a God? I don’t know! Is there an afterlife? I don’t know! Are Jehovah’s witnesses the one true religion? NO! Now that I do know for sure!!!!

I was at the same stage for a few months after i woke up. Im in a good place now with my own beliefs, i hope your family wake up eventually.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Many thanks Paley. Most of my family have woken up (without giving too much away).

I'm now what I'd call a reluctant atheist. It is no big deal, I just realise life is more precious than I originally thought as a jobo drone.

One life. Nothing after death despite delusional wishful thinking.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    punkofnice - "...It was the 'overlapping' that finally got me out..."

It's funny.

Among XJWs, I seem to have been the exception with that one.

My dad was a JW veteran who knew the WT's End-Times chronology backwards and forwards, so I was well aware that (among other things) the Org had effectively promised the Big A would drop by the end of the 20th Century.

By the mid-90s, however, I was getting worried, because I had enough of a grasp of geopolitics to realize that all the "real-world" events that had to take place (before the Great Trib was supposed to start) couldn't happen overnight.

To me, the "overlapping generation" bought the Org some time to "still be right".

In retrospect, that's probably how a handful of higher-ups at Bethel saw it, too.

I think they might have been relieved that Fred Fraz had died a couple years earlier; he probably would have nixed the idea.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Vid - I wonder what my Dad (RIP) would have made of the GB and the whole jobo thing now. My Dad was a dyed in the wool jobo. He died before it got really weirder than weird in the cult.

Freddie Franz certainly would be spinning in his grave right now.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    punk - "My Dad was a dyed in the wool jobo. He died before it got really weirder than weird in the cult."

No pun intended, I'm sure. :smirk:

My dad, too, BTW. I think JWTV would have particularly freaked him out; he hated televangelists.

punk - "Freddie Franz would be spinning in his grave..."

So fast, in fact, that I'm certain we'd be experiencing severe and debilitating relativistic effects. :smirk:

(Rutherford, on the other hand, would have a raging hard-on. Alive or dead.)

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

Step 1: Ask If the due time is near (or appointed time, or if the time is at hand etc)

Step 2: Ask "is that an official belief/teaching of JWs?"

Step 3: Read Luke 21:8* to them (use the interlinear or other translations too, if they are open to it)

*He said: “Look out that you are not misled, for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The due time is near.’ Do not go after them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit