List of all JWN Bethelites

by FatFreek 2005 83 Replies latest members private

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Awesome that you're compiling that list, Len. Great work!

Some additional info I would be interested in seeing is what era/decade each person served. We have such a diverse group it wouldn't surprise me to see representatives from every decade since the 50s.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi MadS,

That would be great.

It was only through a stroke of luck that I never made it to Bethel. My aspiration was because of a local from our New Bedford congregation, Bobby Anneheim. He'd been there for some 5 years. During one of his long weekends where he'd traveled the 217 miles to New Bedford, I was honored that he chose to go with me during Sunday morning field service. During those moments I felt we were bullet-proof as we walked to each doorway.

ANNEHEIM, ROBERT E11 Oct 193124 Sep 2002 (V)7028303 (Fayetteville, Cumberland, NC)(none specified)Massachusetts020-24-4534

Bobby was 9 years my senior and knew that I was persistent with him about my wishes but he also knew what the Society's position was -- graduate high school. So at the 1957 Baltimore district assembly he and I ran into each other between sessions. He said, "wait right here, Lenny". A moment later he returned and motioned for me to come with him. I followed Bobby into one of those makeshift offices in that stadium where he introduced me to Nathan Knorr. There, with no small talk or niceties, Knorr pointed his index finger at my chest, touching it a few times, saying, "you want to come to Bethel? Graduate high school first -- fill out your application -- then we'll think about it." I left that venue crushed. I had the impression that I was talking to some elite physician with no bedside manner. What a grouch.

Ironically, Bobby left Bethel within the next year because of dental trouble and after giving them 6 of the best years of his life. They told him he needed to go home, get his teeth tended to, then re-apply to come back. Word was he never attended a single meeting after he left. I called Bobby some 10 years ago, our first contact since that incident. He was still bitter, yet still convinced that Watchtower was the discreet slave. As you can see from that S.S. death record, he passed away not long ago.

Len

ps: For new ones, here is the LIST. It will always have this same hyperlink so you may wish to bookmark it for future.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

I've just prefaced that list with the following:

For several weeks I have been working on my own list, jotting them down one by one, keeping them handy for when, and if, I have a specific question. I felt it would help keep in touch. This online document is simply an effort to share it with others. These folks are a great resource for us and I consider them a treasure. Be mindful that they are public JWN handles. On the most part, they were gleaned from threads where that person announced, admitted, or otherwise conceded his or her former residence at headquarters. If you are on this list and wish it removed, drop me a PM at JWN or email me at the following address (subtract the threes before using): [email protected]

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Today, a new one makes the list. Congratulations, elderite!

Len

ps: For new ones, here is the LIST. It will always have this same hyperlink so you may wish to bookmark it for future.

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

Great list. Knowing where these folks have been certainly adds to one's understanding of their posts. And, btw ....

While Mama's New Bedford, Mass. clan hailed from New Brunswick I never understood more than a few words at family gatherings.

I worked in the Saguenay-Lac St. Jean and Gaspé regions of Québec in addition to Montréal for a number of years and as a consequence speak pretty good French, but I can't understand the New Brunswick dialect.

• dissed
    dissed

I was at Behel in 1975-6 when the end came. Brooklyn/WT Farms

• Gayle
    Gayle

Back in '70, when I was a Bethel housekeeper and the 'home servant' told me (when we had to sign up for 4 yrs) that most were leaving within a year's time anyway and then leaving "altogether" (meaning the organization also.)

I would guess at least half of Bethelites leave the organization (whether, directly from Bethel or in some time after leaving Bethel). Many aren't inclined or don't feel a need to join a site like this. I saw years ago, Randy Watters had a Bethel list going like this, but I think it discontinued.

Seeing ex-Gilead/missionaries here is great too. Ex-Circuit overseers some day?

• clarity
    clarity

Hi Len, Actually glad I never made it to bethell, but appreciate the experiences of all who did. I suspect that they are are the backbone of this site!!

Great subject. Oh, and Len, when I see that cute avatar, I just want to pinch those fat freckled little cheeks and plant a right on them!

clarity

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

dissed: I was at Behel in 1975-6 when the end came.

Welcome to the list, our friend. Yes, and I caught your clever "when the end came" expression.

Gayle: I would guess at least half of Bethelites leave the organization (whether, directly from Bethel or in some time after leaving Bethel). Many aren't inclined or don't feel a need to join a site like this.

I never did put a number to it because, unlike you, I'd never been there -- even for a visit. But, we as onlookers can certainly glean from the many reports and experiences posted here that there was, and continues, a disproportionate amount of unrest there. Residents there seem to be able, more easily, peek behind the curtain. A paradox, since the flock always viewed this as god's house.

Seeing ex-Gilead/missionaries here is great too. Ex-Circuit overseers some day?

Interesting thought. This is a distinct possibility and a good one. After all, they are, as well as those listed, paid employees. Ha -- not paid very well but on the most part, they were taken care of. Which is were this list should probably end. If I continued to tally local elders, ministerial servants, pioneers, microphone carriers, Kingdom Hall sweepers, et all -- the population of some 60,000 folks here at JWN would receive a serious dent in their ranks.

clarity: Oh, and Len, when I see that cute avatar, I just want to pinch those fat freckled little cheeks and plant a right on them!

I love it. If I had a webcam going right now you could see those now 70-year-old cheeks blushing as red as those lips you planted on them.

Len

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Lion Cask: I worked in the Saguenay-Lac St. Jean and Gaspé regions of Québec in addition to Montréal for a number of years and as a consequence speak pretty good French, but I can't understand the New Brunswick dialect.

And she frequently remarked how she couldn't understand real French -- whatever that meant. Probably your French, you reckon?

This just in. jt is now on the list which totals 49.

Len

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit