How Many People Are Still Happy That They Married Their Mate?

by minimus 56 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks

Without a doubt!! 8 1/2 wonderful months!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Well, obviously.

Now now, no need to be mean...or jealous.

• mamalove
    mamalove

I heard this on TV last year, that some people are meant to be together for the purpose of bringing their children into the world. I don't believe in anything meant to be. But I thought that was kind of interesting if you were the type to believe in destiny.

That being said, I am grateful and cannot imagine life without my kids. There were some good times and memories. But on a day by day basis, moment by moment measurements of peace, I am far more happy, content and blissful being away from my ex.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I am still happily married (she has a gun on me as I type).

Actually we are very happy together. We were married in 1963 when she was 17 and I was 19 (I was pioneering where the need was great, apparently the need was greater for husbands). In later years someone once asked her what did you guys do after you were married and she said "we finished raising one another".

Normally getting married at that earlier age is a disaster but some how it worked for us. We left the 'truth' about 4 1/2 years later....walked out together (the whole story posted here if anyone is interested).

I guess the things that worked for us might be of some interest:

1. Emotionally and mentally we continued to grow.

2. Unconditional love and respect.......always. If either of us has a problem we are one another's first responder.

3. Not letting issues fester.

4. We Communicate with one another. We start every day with coffee in bed and talk about what we are going to do that day etc. We meet back up at 6PM and while I sip a martini and she a cup of tea we discuss how the day turned out, who we saw what we did, most importantly what we each think about the subject at hand. 5. We have each developed a professional reputation in our respective fields (we are both artists) At different times one or the other ascended to more recognicsion and income. We never felt nor expressed resentment or jealosy. Right now she is ascending once again and may bust it out of the ballpark, I am happy to spend my time helping her in whatever way I can to achieve her goal.

6. Our household chores are a division of labor, we each do those things we enjoy or can tolerate best. She's a great cook in turn I have profected Zen and the art of dishwashing, vacuming etc.

So yes, still happy, still challenged after all these years.

• minimus
    minimus

The MAJORITY of married couples I know seem rather unhappy. Today, it's rare to see a truly happily married couple.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My parents have been married 48 years. They argue every day, I remember them arguing when I was a child growing up. Usually my mother would start it over something silly. Names would fly, doors would slam, but there was never any physical violence towards each other, Mother would take it out on us though. I think my mother would start it just to enforce the control she has over my father (who is by nature a quiet man and trys to avoid arguing). 48 years of fighting over stupid shit. I don't see how they do it. It must be love...or habit.

• cantleave
    cantleave

22 years for us - we know the secret to a long marriage..............Apathy

• Robdar
    Robdar

It's been 3 weeks and I am still happily married to Mr. Robdar. It didn't take that long for me to reconsider my last marriage which finally ended 7 years ago after 14 years of marital hell.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    she still a bitch. complaining daily of the thing that must be done just to live, simple things like cleaning, working and she married to a man that works can outclean her and i dont bitch about life.

But man, you sure know how to bitch about your wife!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Almost 10 years! Best thing I ever did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit