How Many People Are Still Happy That They Married Their Mate?

by minimus 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

27+ years ending in early March. The first 25 years were beyond glorious.

If you find the right person marriage is the most wonderful thing in this life. When I'm old and drooling in a nursing home somewhere I will remember how warm and safe it felt just to hold your woman in bed. No better feeling in the world.

Chris

• nugget
    nugget

I did of course check what my husband wrote on his post before writing myself.

It has been a rollercoaster 22 years with flashes of pure genuis every now and again. I am blissfully happy in between the moments when I am frustrated, annoyed, amazed and gob smacked by mind numbing stupidity. That is marriage I'd do it all again. I love him to bits he makes life interesting.

Now stop being apathetic cantleave and make me a cup of tea.

• cantleave
    cantleave

My Dear, I forgive your mind numbing stupidty.

• nugget
    nugget

it was a lapse 22 years ago but I'm back on the meds now what is your excuse?

Where is the tea?

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

37 years, 4 months and 29 days. She was 19, I was 21. She told me five years later she wanted to become baptised a Jehovah's Witness. I said no. She did it anyway, and we have not been completely on the same page since. We have had some bad times but mostly good times together.

But, to your question, yes, I would marry her over again. But that would require going back in time and, while I was there, I'd make sure neither of us ever came into contact with the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. I know our lives together would have been better. Back here in the real world, I still have hope to win back her mind, because I love her more than life itself.

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

Gregor, you have a PM.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Absolutely (peace to you all!). It was an accident, however - wasn't "supposed" to happen. IMHO at the time. After the first (of 16 years), I'd kinda vowed "never again" (first 8 years was great; 2nd 8 years sucked for most parts). Ran away when I realized he was falling for me (and I for him). Too scared and too... I dunno... "settled." We became friends first and now I've been married 4 years to my best friend (known almost 12 years).

He is (in my world), the kindest, tenderest, even-keeledest, EASIEST person to be a friend to, be with, and live with. He is super cool, very funny (although he says I am the one who keeps HIM laughing!), very appreciative and, most importantly... lets me be me. 100%. Unfortunately, I am a girl and so, like many girls, have a some control issues. So, I am only able to let him be him about 97% of the time. (The 3% is due to the times when, after marvelling about it for a few secs... I forget myself and comment as to his severe absent-mindedness - you know, that kind that forgets to pick up milk on the way home... after I've called, texted, AND emailed "Don't forget to pick up some milk"? LOLOLOLOL!). But he really IS absent-minded, so I don't take it personally but "get over it" really quickly. Life's way too short and being a recipient of his true nature and qualities makes it not worth crying over milk that wasn't picked up... let alone spilled.

The thing is that we really are "yin and yang", if there be such a thing... in a very good way... and if I had to do it all over again, I would marry him again in a heartbeat. Only much, much sooner. We "get" each other... accidentally AND on purpose.

And...and this is VERY important... I can count on him. EVERY time (I mean, so long as it's not picking up milk - LOLOLOLOL!). Which is GREAT!

He is independent, makes a great living (and is very respected at work), has his own interests/hobbies, and has no problem being left alone from time to time when I have to travel out of town (for work or to visit other dear ones or my kids and he can't get away)... or going out of town by himself when his hobbies call for it (but I don't want to go because it's to, say, the outer reaches of Michigan during a 10-below snowstorm! Who, me?!! No, way: I'm a California girl!).

One thing that helps: we give each other a "blanket" apology at the beginning of each month. For "whatever" (but primarily those times when we should apologize but don't because we either overlook the need/forget to... or think we don't need to). Then it's just done. Oh, and we're VERY kind to one another. I mean, he's my best friend, my "other half." If I shouldn't be kind to HIM... who should I be kind to?

Ennywho, I know... another long response from SA. What can I say? "Out of the heart's abundance, the fingers type."

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• hardroad
    hardroad

I'm not in possesion of a piece of paper, shied away from all that given my parents example, but we have been together for 18 yrs now and yes I would do it all over again! He makes my heart glad, makes me laugh and helped me bring my 3 beautiful children into this world. For that no matter what happens in our future, I'll always love him.

Now I'm going to get a bucket because I'm making myself sick, lol

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I'm still happy that I'm divorced. Does that count? W

Me, too. Marriage to a JW was very oppressive. Good relationship after that though. Would marry again to the right person.

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

I wonder sometimes about people who enter into what they believe will be a lifelong relationship with someone only to realise years later they've made a mistake - or, maybe the person they think they married has either changed into someone else or had kept private his true self from the beginning. And at some point the chickens come home to roost. It's not easy finding someone with whom you want to spend your life. When he or she turns out to be the wrong one, it must be a diminishing, if not devastating, experience.

Edit. Hardroad. The piece of paper is a piece of paper. A word to the wise is sufficient.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit