Do you miss "dressing up" for the meetings?

by dozy 71 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

No, I still find plenty of occasions for dressing up. I prefer be REALLY dressed up rather than the business type clothing I had to wear to the meetings. I love shoes, purses, jewelry etc. I always felt sorry for sisters at the assemblies who were so desperate for an occasion to dress up that they overdressed for the occasion. Some of them were practically in sequins but most of them look like Amway dealers.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I hated the hassle of dressing up but on the other hand once it was done I enjoyed the femininity of it...strange really...now I enjoy getting dressed up to 'party' with no restrictions....

Loz x

• factfinder
    factfinder

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I will never wear a jacket and tie again!

• shamus100
    shamus100

Are you kidding? Dressing up in a cheap suit?

I IMMEDIATELY threw, and I mean THREW that shit out. I own only one suit now, and it's a $2,200 dollar one at that - I'll never wear a cheap suit again!

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

NO BLOODY WAY!!! I hated wearing suits, haven't worn one since I've left the cult.

The necktie to me was like a noose.

3Mozzies

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

I hate having to don the full regalia, just to sit on an uncomfortable chair and try not to fall asleep for a couple of hours. Especially that accursed strangulating tie, was there ever a more pointless piece of clothing ever? And I bet I'm not the only one in the local collective, you look around the room and you see people who'd only wear a suit if they were appearing in court, twitching and scratching. The PA system never works because of the static from so much polyester in the same place at once.

• d
    d

I hated dressing up and today I will dress up only for a party, job interview or wedding or funeral but other then that I like to be casual.

• zengalileo
    zengalileo

All my suits are eaten up by moths. I don't even have a single tie that is usable for anything other than rope or a rag. I have been on a dozen job interviews, one for teaching that I landed, but I still dod not dress in a suit. I honestly can't remember the last time I put on a tie, but its been years. When I was at Bethel it was, dress with a tie for morning worship at 7am, at 7:35 walk to the locker room undress for morning worship and dress for work, be at work by 7:45 or 7:50. Then at 11:50am (depending on the department you are in, construction workers who were obviously more of a mess than other department workers would get off to dress for lunch a little earlier) undress out of work clothes, and dress back with a tie for dinner (lunch) at 12:15pm. Then at 12:35, walk back to the locker room, change back into work clothes, and go back to work by 12:50pm or so. Then at 4:55pm, go back to the locker room, undress from work clothes, dress back into button up shirt (tie not required for lunch or supper actually, but it was encouraged) and be at supper by 5:30pm. Then on meeting nights, one would return to their room, undress from their dress clothes, and dress in even dressier clothes for the meeting, and leave for the meeting at about 6:15pm depending on how far out you had to drive for your meetings. 1 hour drives were common. For me I think we had to leave at 6:05 to get to Saugerties on time.

Then when I got home ;ate at night, I would undress from my dressier clothes and dress in "going to bed" clothes which was usually shorts, so I could walk down the hall in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom iof I needed. Then the next day I would do it all over again. That whole thing times 365x6...

So, yeah, I really miss dressing up.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I have to wear "professional" clothes at work, so I always tended to wear the same stuff to work and the KH. I refuse to wear pantyhose, so I always favored really long skirts. My feet won't tolerate heels, so I have a basic "uniform" that consists of a short sleeved sweater, long skirt, and clogs. If it's cool, I wear a cardigan on top of the sweater and if it's super cold I wear boots. It's comfortable, and I will probably continue to wear this type of clothing even though I intend to never set foot in a Kingdom Hall again.

On the other hand, my husband hated dressing up and he *really* hated shaving. I doubt he'll ever put on a suit again except for formal night on cruises or maybe for a fancy dinner on our anniversary. His beard has already grown in nicely.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

no i now hate over modest dress up and all my JW crap went to goodwill a few years ago

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit